2 feeds 1 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hello, was just wondering if it was possible to host 2 feeds from the same computer. I have a mic jack on the back and one on the front of the PC, but cant figure out how to use them at the same time, which i would need to do to host 2 feeds. Is this possible without buying a 2nd soundcard, and if so, how?

rbm

Yes you can host 2 (or more) feeds from one computer.

You'll need a separate sound card for each feed. (Even a USB sound card will work)

I've been running multiple feeds on several computers for years.

Rich

You 'could' run two feeds with only one sound card if you use the right and left audio channels for separate feeds.

Last edited:

dovy6

I currently stream on feed with RR, as well as 2 others privately, on the same computer. I was able to use one real soundcard, plus the input on the front panel, plus one other usb soundcard.

There are soundcards that sell for $.99 on ebay that have been recommended on this site.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have the ability to run 9 feeds off a single PC using my setup. I am running an M-Audio 1010LT plus the onboard card.

If you use software like RadioFeed, you can isolate the left and right channels on the sound card and make them their own feed. So you don't need to have fireground on left, dispatch on right, both on the same feed. You can have a FG feed and a Dispatch feed, or better yet, a PD feed and a FD feed all off the same card.

If you wanted to use the soundcard on the motherboard with an external card, you might need to go into your BIOS settings and make sure the soundcard is set to ENABLED. Sometimes the PC will disable the onboard card if it senses an external card present.

RadioFeed can be downloaded at proscan.org

BadMango

As the others have stated, it is completely possible to host multiple feeds on the same computer. The only limitation is the number of separate audio inputs.

Since my laptop only has one mic jack, I bought two of these: Amazon.com: Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS: Computers & Accessories

Under $10 each, and they've been working without issue for almost a year now.

Since you have two mic jacks, you should test to see if your computer recognizes them as two separate input sound devices. If you have RadioFeed, for example, you should see at least three entries in the Input Sound Device field (see attached image): Primary Sound Capture Device and your two mic jacks.

Attachments

• radiofeed-audiodevice.jpg
    radiofeed-audiodevice.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 403

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
For RadioFeed? The link is in my posting above, but it didn't past as an active URL.

RadioFeed can be downloaded from ProScan

SquierStrat

ive tried using both jacks and the only thing i can get it to do is switch back and forth between the 2. cant use both at the same time. so i purchased one of those $.99 usb sound cards from ebay (thank you for the recommendation).

So about radio feed. Will i NEED to use that specific program to host multiple feeds, or will i still be able to use the "scannercast" i use now, only have 2 instances of it open? Can i just type my username and password into radio feed like i can scannercast, and it will bring up a list of the feeds i host? or is there a little more involved with setting it up?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I haven't used scannercast, but I can answer your questions about RadioFeed.

Install radio feed into a directory. Then COPY that installation directory into a new director. This copy will be your 2nd feed.

Configure the first feed. Then launch your copy and configure your second feed.

There are screenshots on the Proscan.org website to help you along. RadioFeed Screen Shots

I'm running 3 - 4 copies of RadioFeed on my computer plus two proscan copies to run some of the feeds on my website.

hmburgers

For posterity's sake, and to avoid people buying lots of unnecessary 99c USB audio devices... :)

...If you're running Windows Vista, 7, or 8, and your audio driver provider sets up the audio device as multi-streaming you can use multiple (in/out) ports at once. Note that this is a function of hardware and configuration by the driver, so it may not be available for you if your hardware doesn't support it.

If you right-click the speaker in the task tray and select 'recording devices' you'll see a panel pop-up. If you see TWO microphones listed there, chances are good you have multi-streaming enabled.

Some manufacturers will configure the audio device to not show this--and instead will set it up with minimum number of audio end points--because having more end points makes it more confusing to the average end user (increases the number of support calls). However, Microsoft has a requirement that audio device manufacturers offer two inputs and two outputs to pass their WHQL tests with the Microsoft audio driver, so often with 2007 and later PC's if you uninstall your manufacturers audio device and use the built in "Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver" you may see the add'l inputs available.

If the PC is older, 2005 or earlier, it could be AC'97, back then it was common to use a "wrap back" system where inserting a device into the front panel would literally break the connection to the rear panel, so it was physically impossible to use rear panel when front was in use... but since the swap to High Definition Audio in 2005/2006 that is no longer accepted by Microsoft. They want each port to have it's own connection to the audio chip.

...now Scannercast would need to understand independent audio end points for that to work, but based on the screen shot someone posted earlier in the thread I'd say that it probably does.

Last edited:

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Can i just type my username and password into radio feed like i can scannercast, and it will bring up a list of the feeds i host? or is there a little more involved with setting it up?

Yes, you should be able to download the configuration automatically.

And to sort of add to what hmburger said, check your driver, or download the manufacturer driver. When I did that, it enabled me to turn any sound port, inputs and even the speaker outputs(8 or 9 total) into Inputs, I cant listen to them all on my headset, but I can set radiofeed or any other feeding programs to the port I have the audio on, and it will pick it up in the program, and broadcast it.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Back to the ScannerCast portion…if you are able to provide 2 feeds, can you run them both through one running application. I know it has a dropdown box to select your feed, but can you select more than one at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.