Are we "Windows 10 ready"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

claypineapplz

Hi all,

Is Win 10 stable enough to run feeds on? I'd love to get that going, but not before checking in with the community first. Any help, tips, gotchas, best configure etc. will be deeply appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Clay Ashley
claypineapplz

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Hi all,

Is Win 10 stable enough to run feeds on? I'd love to get that going, but not before checking in with the community first. Any help, tips, gotchas, best configure etc. will be deeply appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Clay Ashley
claypineapplz

As far as feeds go, Windows 10 works perfectly. Software works perfect, I'm using RadioFeed.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Thanks so much,

Clay Ashley
claypineapplz

I agree with ScanPEI. No issues with Win. 10. Just make sure Windows Update set to "Notify to schedule restart" and not "Automatic".

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10

Windows 10 is very good at using resources and should not present any problems. I have a Windows 10 tablet that runs MS Office smoothly, streams full HD video both to the screen and a wireless display simultaneously with a low power 4 core processor. It should easily handle any audio stream unless there is a software problem.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Thanks so much,

Clay Ashley
claypineapplz

I see your feed is up. I hear what sounds like a 60 cycle hum. Most likely caused by a ground loop. An audio isolator will fix it if in fact a ground loop is causing the hum An audio isolator is nothing more than an audio transformer with a 1:1 winding ratio that connects in between the audio cable from the scanner to the sound input of the computer. Also if using RadioFeed, you can determine the frequency to see if it is 60 cycle and notch it out.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
What version of Windows 10? If using enterprise, you can go into the group policy settings and disable Windows Update, otherwise, it will randomly decide to reboot you for "critical" updates, even if you have it selected not to in the regular Windows Update settings. I advise people to stay with Windows 7 if possible. And if you're using 8, don't upgrade. Windows 8 is better than Windows 10. I find that Windows 10 is slower than Windows 8. I am not aware of any efficiency breakthroughs with 10, it's mainly just new UI and "advanced" settings are harder to find. It's really a mess. I've spend hours trying to regain the useful features of older versions of Windows. Even little things like seeing the old volume settings (very important for streaming and SDR)... took 30 minutes and registry changes to get that back. You want Windows Sound Recorder to record one of your line inputs? Tough. They killed that. Now you have "audio recorder," which will only record the microphone. If you use SDR, once you upgrade, it's a pain to disable the "Windows is smarter than you" automatic driver selections and get your RTLs to work. Which, by the way, if you don't leave this disabled, Windows Update will redo your drivers when it feels like there is a better version available. My advice is to avoid Windows 10.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
I'm in the "You can pry 7 from my cold dead fingers" camp. My feed runs on its own little 25 watt XP box (Dell Optiplex 170FX). It never reboots. It has been up continuously for about 8 months now without a hiccup. Of course there are internet related drops now and then but the streamer itself never quits. Why waste the power and money on a box with the specs to run Windows 10 for something like streaming??

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Running windows 10 enterprise and find it better then 7 and 8. Faster smoother no down times. Other pc at windows 10 pro no issues no problems find it better then 7 and 8 still.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It has been up continuously for about 8 months now without a hiccup.

That's pretty impressive.

Realistic and prudent instead of idealistic, naive, and expensive. I like the concept, and it looks like it gives excellent results.

Trainguy1997

I am downgrading my PC I bought with 10 to 7. I just cannot stand the interface....and I have had it for a year

Oh and I wish XP was still supported....That was my favorite OS since I started out in 4th grade with it. It was easy to use also. Then 7 came along and was better....once 8 came I knew it was going to be trouble after I customized some ATCS kits for a friend oh his laptop and somehow....to this day I don't know how....they were deleted after I restarted it

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Running windows 10 enterprise and find it better then 7 and 8. Faster smoother no down times. Other pc at windows 10 pro no issues no problems find it better then 7 and 8 still.

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
That's pretty impressive.

Realistic and prudent instead of idealistic, naive, and expensive. I like the concept, and it looks like it gives excellent results.

It does. It runs off an old Belkin battery backup power supply ($25 on ebay, they were originally designed to provide uninterruptable power for Uverse modems with voice) which runs it for over 6 hours if the power fails, and the box itself cost me $60. Now due to its storage limitations (2GB DOM-style SSD) I went through several iterations of nLited XP trying to get everything to fit without causing problems - and that was quite frustrating, but it was so worth it. It runs like a champ, headless (has Teamviewer on it for remote access), cool, and sipping power. Your average always-on desktop costs about $15-20 a month in electricity - no need for that.

Last edited:

jblackst

Feed Provider
If you're looking for a small form factor and low power use then consider a Raspberry Pi to host your feed. I read one estimate that said a Pi might only use $5/yr in electricity. I've been running one for almost a month and it's rock solid. The only downtime is when I tinker on it and have to reboot it to apply a change.

bctrainers

I find that incredibly hard to believe.

For my broadcastify feed, it's running windows 10 pro, absolutely no issues other than a hardware failure with a faulty ram stick a few months back - which is completely unrelated to windows 10 itself. The machine has been running 24/7 since Jan 2016 (barring a few windows updates here and there (defer updates are really nice)).

Overall, I'm quite pleased with windows 10. Plop Win10 on a SSD, and the machine boots up in seconds, it's very fast. Below are my Broadcastify machines stats to give you an idea. :)

Code:
Operating System
	Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
	Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz	91 °F
	Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 652MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
	ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (CPUSocket)	87 °F
Graphics
	Standard Monitor (1920x1080@32Hz)
	Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASRock)
Storage
	465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)	85 °F
Optical Drives
	No optical disk drives detected
Audio
	High Definition Audio Device
Uptime
		Current Session
			Current Time	5/29/2016 7:18:52 PM
			Current Uptime	3,589,450 sec (41 d, 13 h, 04 m, 10 s)
			Last Boot Time	4/18/2016 6:14:42 AM

I thought about getting a volume licence copy with Windows 10 Enterprise with all of the windows 10 machines in this house honestly. Never went through with that however. :)

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
For my broadcastify feed, it's running windows 10 pro, absolutely no issues other than a hardware failure with a faulty ram stick a few months back - which is completely unrelated to windows 10 itself. The machine has been running 24/7 since Jan 2016 (barring a few windows updates here and there (defer updates are really nice)).

Overall, I'm quite pleased with windows 10. Plop Win10 on a SSD, and the machine boots up in seconds, it's very fast. Below are my Broadcastify machines stats to give you an idea. :)

Code:
Operating System
	Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
	Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz	91 °F
	Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 652MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
	ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (CPUSocket)	87 °F
Graphics
	Standard Monitor (1920x1080@32Hz)
	Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASRock)
Storage
	465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)	85 °F
Optical Drives
	No optical disk drives detected
Audio
	High Definition Audio Device
Uptime
		Current Session
			Current Time	5/29/2016 7:18:52 PM
			Current Uptime	3,589,450 sec (41 d, 13 h, 04 m, 10 s)
			Last Boot Time	4/18/2016 6:14:42 AM

I thought about getting a volume licence copy with Windows 10 Enterprise with all of the windows 10 machines in this house honestly. Never went through with that however. :)

LOL you can't claim 6 months of machine uptime when it is constantly rebooting to install updates. It's only been "up" since 4/18/16.

My streamer HAS been up for almost 7 months (196 days, 22 hours).. Perfectly stable, never reboots for anything. And the last time it WAS down was because I had no choice but to unplug it when I was reorganizing. As I said the stream itself goes down from time to time due to internet hiccups (more often than not on Broadcastify's end), but the machine is rock solid.

FEHP8GW.png

And I have to ask why you would waste so much money on hardware - and all the power it draws 24/7 - to run a streaming program that'll run on basically what amounts to a pocket calculator? There's just no reason for that. I paid less than half for my entire streaming box than you did on just your motherboard. Your processor alone draws 4x more power than my entire streaming box. As AggieCon said, "Realistic and prudent instead of idealistic, naive, and expensive."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.