Please turn your AGC Off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
This is to anyone with a P25 feed, with your AGC on feeds sound horrible! It's TRUE P25 audio when this is off... does anyone else agree? P25 sound HORRIBLE with AGC on? What is it even for anyways? Makes sooo much backround noise.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I for one do not agree i do not run a feed here but maybe i will in the future.What is it even for well running a feed or not it is my personal taste if i want agc on or off.

This is to anyone with a P25 feed, with your AGC on feeds sound horrible! It's TRUE P25 audio when this is off... does anyone else agree? P25 sound HORRIBLE with AGC on? What is it even for anyways? Makes sooo much backround noise.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I have never had a complaint on my feed and I have it on.
AGC tries to keep the sound at the same level so if someone is not talking very loud you may not be able to hear them, but with it on, all the traffic stays at a pretty good level.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I would agree (OFF)

On my feed, the sound quality is much better with the digital AGC turned OFF. I'm using a PSR-600 for a P25 channel. I initially had the digital AGC ON and background noise was excessive. To me, it was a significant inprovement to turn off digital AGC.

Biddeford and Saco Police, Fire, EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Dave
k1xd

I think this will always be a personal preference. Because one person likes country music, not everyone does so some will feel it sounds better with it on and some will think so with it off. No real right or wrong choice.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
I would agree (OFF)

On my feed, the sound quality is much better with the digital AGC turned OFF. I'm using a PSR-600 for a P25 channel. I initially had the digital AGC ON and background noise was excessive. To me, it was a significant inprovement to turn off digital AGC.

Biddeford and Saco Police, Fire, EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Dave
k1xd

I agree with you. With the AGC on... he is correct. This is not TRUE P25 audio... I use a P25 trunked radio system everyday and if the "real" (In my case I'm issued a Motorola APX) radios operated with this AGC backround noise... you wouldn't be able to understand anyones traffic... AGC to me literally sounds like the user is standing in front of a waterfall. It doesn't help anything in my opinion except making listening more difficult. I refuse to listen to feeds on here with AGC on. Period.

This feed is being broadcast from a REAL radio dedicated to the system if you want to hear the difference. This is TRUE P25 audio...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=1125

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I always program my scanners with AGC on. Why? I have no clue. But for S&G I decided I'd turn off AGC on the Ohio MARCS system I monitor, and the audio is totally different; much more pleasant to listen to; much more quiet and clear.

If I ever provide a feed again I'll be sure to turn off AGC.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.