why are some feeds offline more than online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Why are certain feeds in my area offline more than online? Can I contact the feed provider?

Some just have it on just enough to say they have a feed so they can get free access to the database.
I think there should also be a minimal amount of signal that a feed should have. I have listened to a lot of feeds that are basically worthless due to poor signal and a lot of static.

scannernut63

Some just have it on just enough to say they have a feed so they can get free access to the database.
I think there should also be a minimal amount of signal that a feed should have. I have listened to a lot of feeds that are basically worthless due to poor signal and a lot of static.

do you have a feed to maintain? didn't think so. your input means nothing.

SpectreOZ

Just what kind of algorithm would you use to achieve that? independent assessment would be quite an additional burden for feed support staff... additionally the quality of the feed will vary from station to station based on location and the units on the network (ie. base, mobile & portable).

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a live feed and I don't get nothing free when did the data base become free, but I can tell you what is really free the live feeds you keep talking about some times it's not that easy to keep one of these things up and running remember it's all free...........

frazpo

do you have a feed to maintain? didn't think so. your input means nothing.

I've had a feed for years. I held the record for the most listeners during a single event for quite some time.
It's ran on a single board computer with a backed up operating system in case of failure. My up time has been well over 99% for as long as it has been operating. And yes I try to keep as static free as much as possible.

So whose input means nothing?

Someone needs educated on the "anonymous feed" setting.

frazpo

Just what kind of algorithm would you use to achieve that? independent assessment would be quite an additional burden for feed support staff... additionally the quality of the feed will vary from station to station based on location and the units on the network (ie. base, mobile & portable).

Yes I agree. Far fetched but just an idea. I will often follow severe weather and jump from feed to feed and its irritating when someone has a feed that is completely covered in static. But as someone else mentioned it is free and better than nothing.

SCPD

QRT
AIS hub, for instance, will cut you off from subscription services if they haven't heard from you in the past 24 hours. Something like that might work. If "Offline" for xx time, kill their free subscription until they're back on for xxx hours. They no give, they no get.

frazpo

AIS hub, for instance, will cut you off from subscription services if they haven't heard from you in the past 24 hours. Something like that might work. If "Offline" for xx time, kill their free subscription until they're back on for xxx hours. They no give, they no get.

Yes. Just some guidelines to make quality and up time more consistent. I was watching a few threads a month or two ago about feeds that are never up. Or they are up for a few days ago and then off again for weeks at a time. That should not be acceptable. Good grief, if you dare say something in a thread that is unrelated they nearly boot you off but yet the feeds are treated like the Texas border. :)

scannernut63

Yes. Just some guidelines to make quality and up time more consistent. I was watching a few threads a month or two ago about feeds that are never up. Or they are up for a few days ago and then off again for weeks at a time. That should not be acceptable. Good grief, if you dare say something in a thread that is unrelated they nearly boot you off but yet the feeds are treated like the Texas border. :)

sounds pretty cheap to me to just pay $30. instead of still providing a feed which cost alittle more than that.
i use to be able to run a mile in under 6 mins. in full pads too. so the {I USE TO} is weak. you got proof? i'm not going to sit here and go round an round with here say. later. and you are welcome for the feeds.

rbm

There will always be people with no integrity who will try to 'game' the system.
You just have to live with it.

I've had (at least one) online feed since before 2002 (it was on before that but I only have records since 2002)

I moved it to ScanAmerica when that started. Then to RadioReference and now to Broadcastify.

For years it's been in the top 50 feeds most hours of most days and more than a few days at the very top.

I've had as many as 4700 listeners for a big event years ago and that was picked up by network and cable news.
And during local floods a few years ago there were close to 4000 listeners.

I normally have 75-100 listeners during quiet times.
Just a small, local storm, can increase that to over 200 listeners.

I don't do it for anyone but the local listeners who care about what's happening in their neighborhood.
They know when anything happens, the feed is there.
Nothing else matters.

(Although, I do get a lot of email from retirees around the country who like to listen to the happenings 'back home' and relatives and friends of first responders who are glad to be able to listen to them.)

The only time my feed has been down in all those years, was in 2007 when I had a lightening hit.
It took out a lot of scanners and a lot of computers AND my ISP!
That outage lasted only 3 days.
Other than that, it may go down for minutes or an hour, if the ISP has problems, and that's about it.

Rich

By the way, I also have seven private feeds that are online 24x7.

I also archive the audio of all of my feeds using SR Pro and I average about two requests per week for audio of something that's happened locally.

frazpo

sounds pretty cheap to me to just pay $30. instead of still providing a feed which cost alittle more than that.
i use to be able to run a mile in under 6 mins. in full pads too. so the {I USE TO} is weak. you got proof? i'm not going to sit here and go round an round with here say. later. and you are welcome for the feeds.

I just wasted the last 3 minutes of my life trying to make sense of your jibberish. LOL

frazpo

There will always be people with no integrity who will try to 'game' the system.
You just have to live with it.

I've had (at least one) online feed since before 2002 (it was on before that but I only have records since 2002)

I moved it to ScanAmerica when that started. Then to RadioReference and now to Broadcastify.

For years it's been in the top 50 feeds most hours of most days and more than a few days at the very top.

I've had as many as 4700 listeners for a big event years ago and that was picked up by network and cable news.
And during local floods a few years ago there were close to 4000 listeners.

I normally have 75-100 listeners during quiet times.
Just a small, local storm, can increase that to over 200 listeners.

I don't do it for anyone but the local listeners who care about what's happening in their neighborhood.
They know when anything happens, the feed is there.
Nothing else matters.

(Although, I do get a lot of email from retirees around the country who like to listen to the happenings 'back home' and relatives and friends of first responders who are glad to be able to listen to them.)

The only time my feed has been down in all those years, was in 2007 when I had a lightening hit.
It took out a lot of scanners and a lot of computers AND my ISP!
That outage lasted only 3 days.
Other than that, it may go down for minutes or an hour, if the ISP has problems, and that's about it.

Rich

By the way, I also have seven private feeds that are online 24x7.

I also archive the audio of all of my feeds using SR Pro and I average about two requests per week for audio of something that's happened locally.

Sounds like you take pride in your feed. There needs to be more of that kind of dedication. I also enjoy the small following I have on my feed. Some show a lot of appreciation.

SpectreOZ

its irritating when someone has a feed that is completely covered in static. But as someone else mentioned it is free and better than nothing.

There's no denying it would not be easy to listen to a noisy feed, the most trouble I've had is with processor noise from the scanner (1980's vintage) entering the audio stream, the isolated audio line reduced other line noise to a satisfactory level but found that ProScan's RadioFeed software also allows notch filtering and thus an even cleaner stream...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.