Issues with HTML5 web player in Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

Lately I've been having issues playing streams using the HTML5 web player setting in Safari.

The player window comes up just fine, everything looks normal, and it displays the number of listeners without any problem.

However, it does not auto-start, and when clicking the Play button, nothing happens. I can click it until the cows come home, and nothing. . .

This happens both at home and at work, so it doesn't appear to be a firewall issue. Used to work just fine and I haven't changed any security settings on my systems, so that doesn't appear to be it, either.

Anybody else seen this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

NYRHKY94

Just tried it on my iPhone and it works using the HTML5 web player. "However" I had to click the play button 3 consecutive times, the last one on a page that says "If the feed does not automatically play, click or touch the play icon in the player above". Once I did that, the feed starts to play .

Attachments

• HTML5 Player.jpg
    HTML5 Player.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Just tried it on my iPhone and it works using the HTML5 web player. "However" I had to click the play button 3 consecutive times, the last one on a page that says "If the feed does not automatically play, click or touch the play icon in the player above". Once I did that, the feed starts to play .

Thanks for the info. While my original post had to do with Safari on a Mac desktop, I just tried the iPhone and same problem there; never noticed it because I generally use the Broadcastify app on the phone, and it works fine.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have recently had 2 'no audio' reports on my feed which were obviously browser issues on the listeners end. I don't know which browser they were using or what their results were. I had similar issues with Safari 7 or 8 years ago and have not used it since switching to Chrome. I didn't even know Safari was still around, it's been banned on all our corporate computers.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have recently had 2 'no audio' reports on my feed which were obviously browser issues on the listeners end. I don't know which browser they were using or what their results were. I had similar issues with Safari 7 or 8 years ago and have not used it since switching to Chrome. I didn't even know Safari was still around, it's been banned on all our corporate computers.

Safari is the default offering with the Mac OS. Works just fine for me, is well integrated with the other features of the OS, and I find it to be less obnoxious than any of the others. I'd be more concerned about Chrome snooping on everything I do than Safari; supposedly Firefox is less obtrusive and nosy than any of them but over the years it's gone from fairly lean and mean to pretty bloated with features I'll never use.

I haven't tried Firefox Quantum yet, although it too is pretty bloated.

I definitely stay away from any offerings from Micro$oft; on the Windows boxes on which I need to use a browser, I go with Firefox even though it's bloatware.

Back to the original topic though. . . sometimes I can get Safari to work, but even when I do, it eventually goes bye-bye even when it claims to be playing.

Chronic

I am having the very same issue with internet explorer v 11 and also with the current version of Opera .
I also am getting complaints of no audio , player wont play complaints along with much lower than normal listener count. Note that this is only happening on the Radio Reference Speaker icon to play a feed , if you go to Broadcastify then all seems to work .
Can this be fixed ?

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Somewhat late reply, but I've been having the same problem in Safari on Mac for months now. It does not seem to be an issue with Chrome or any other browsers (although I have done limited testing beyond just a bit of trying in Chrome). This did not seem to be an issue at all for me in any web browser, but has become increasingly annoying in recent months. Additionally, none of the other options in the "Player Selection" dropdown seem like viable alternatives as none work for me at this time. Has anyone found a fix or work around?

SimpleSkye

Safari 11 doesn't auto-play content with audio by default. If you go to auto-play settings, you can adjust it and make an exception for Broadcastify.

I have mine set for "Never Auto-Play" as the default, which stops everything everywhere, sound or not. Thus, I always have to refresh a stream window on initial load before it lets me click play.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.04.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 8.04.50 AM.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have the same exact problem OP. I have to open the window and then refresh, then it will play when I click Play. Upon initial load, it only has "00:00" and not "00:00:00".

I am 90% sure that it is because the current safari doesn't auto-play content with audio. If you go to auto-play settings, you can adjust it and make an exception for Broadcastify.

I think you're right about it being a result of the auto-pay features/restrictions in Safari. However, I've played around with this setting a LOT in an attempt to get the BCFY web player to work properly and it hasn't yet. Has it fixed it for you?

SimpleSkye

I think you're right about it being a result of the auto-pay features/restrictions in Safari. However, I've played around with this setting a LOT in an attempt to get the BCFY web player to work properly and it hasn't yet. Has it fixed it for you?

It did fix the auto-play issue, the "00:00" vs "00:00:00" issue still remains sporadicly.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
It did fix the auto-play issue, the "00:00" vs "00:00:00" issue still remains sporadicly.

So you’re saying the audio still isn’t playing even though the auto play issue is otherwise resolved?

SimpleSkye

Sorry that was a little convoluted. I have 2 issues:

1) OP's problem with no atuo-start / difficult-to-start streaming. The auto-play was fixed adjusting the settings within Safari.

2) Sometimes when I load a stream, the time will say "00:00" instead of "00:00:00". In this instance, it will not play / no other buttons work. I have to refresh the page to resolve it. This issue still remains.

Hope that helps. ^_^

SimpleSkye

BTW, 5 minutes or so after I posted my original response, I had gone back and removed my "00:00" vs "00:00:00" issue since it wasn't part of OP's original problem and I was adding noise to the thread, but KC9VZV was quick and responded before I edited it.

^_^

AgentTinker

BTW, 5 minutes or so after I posted my original response, I had gone back and removed my "00:00" vs "00:00:00" issue since it wasn't part of OP's original problem and I was adding noise to the thread, but KC9VZV was quick and responded before I edited it.

^_^

I also have that issue. Cleaning cache and stuff seemed to help.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Sorry that was a little convoluted. I have 2 issues:

1) OP's problem with no atuo-start / difficult-to-start streaming. The auto-play was fixed adjusting the settings within Safari.

2) Sometimes when I load a stream, the time will say "00:00" instead of "00:00:00". In this instance, it will not play / no other buttons work. I have to refresh the page to resolve it. This issue still remains.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Gotcha. that makes sense. I am having the same problems, and refreshing the page doesn't work for me. As AgentTinker suggests clearing the cache, I will try that and report back. I think I may have tried that once a while ago, though, to no avail. Not entirely sure though.

w2xq

Mentor
Just for giggles and grins, would VLC -- https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html -- work for what you are trying to listen to?

VLC is, in my opinion, an excellent program that can handle numerous audio and video formats. Decades ago I might have to look at the webpage source code to ferret out the stream's code. I have used it on Windows back when and now on I keep it around on my Samsung tablet and phone. Looking at some archived web sites I created in the early 1990s, I found some old format audio files... and the new Android VLC played them!

Perhaps the idea may help?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Safari 11 doesn't auto-play content with audio by default. If you go to auto-play settings, you can adjust it and make an exception for Broadcastify.

I have mine set for "Never Auto-Play" as the default, which stops everything everywhere, sound or not. Thus, I always have to refresh a stream window on initial load before it lets me click play.

That seems to have fixed it. I'll keep an eye on it, but when I click the Play button it plays.

Thanks. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.