• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need help with Wouxun KG-UVD1P

Status
Not open for further replies.

duchee

i got the radio works great. however i got a serial cable and the software. what do i do next? each time i try to use it it tells me communication failed. i wanted usb cable but this is what i got. am i forgetting something in the radio its self? please let me know thanks!

ejmandigo

I have the same radio & a USB Cable

Good Evening,

Like your self I own this radio and I too love it! I had issues with the cable and ended up buying the USB cable on Ebay for $10 which came with the Driver CD for the USB. My recommendation would be to try that if all else fails. Not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere near me, I would be willing to assist you with using my cable. I'm in Western Mass.

If I can be of assistance drop me an email at ej@sosserver.org

Best of luck to you.

EJ Mandigo
KB1LNU
IPN CON046
Hotline Coordinator

sfd119

Make sure you are using the right COM port and that the drivers are installed properly.

K

kb0nly

Are u using a USB to Serial adapter or an actual serial port on the computer? A lot of the USB adapters out there don't work for crap with programming cables.

Also make sure you have the correct com port number selected in the software.

plato

Ref: Wouxun KG-UVD1P

I have one of these radios. GREAT RADIO-GREAT PRICE! I programed mine by hand using the key board.If you can't get the software to work, use the key board. I also have three Puxing-777 plus radios which I programed via the key board. Great radio too! If you buy these radios from e-bay, you get the best price! The "plus" means the radio has ANI & scramble feature. About $7.00 dollars more per radio but well worth it!

duchee

it is a serial cable. i have tryed it on two computer and it is plugged in ALL the way. do serial cables need drivers?

JeremyB

Double check to make sure the connector is fully pressed into the jacks, I have the USB cable and kept having the connection failed message, looked and I could see some space between the radio and the plug. It took a good push to get it in, then I was able to program

shield1751

Premium Subscriber
i got the radio works great. however i got a serial cable and the software. what do i do next? each time i try to use it it tells me communication failed. i wanted usb cable but this is what i got. am i forgetting something in the radio its self? please let me know thanks!

Hi, I have 3 of these radios..they are a pretty good deal, especially for the price! Now, on to your problem.
I had the same issues...but you probably did what I did....I thought I could just load the software, and plug and play. NOPE!

So, I went to Wouxun's website. They have the latest drivers for the usb cable (and I suspect the Serial as well). One thing is always important....read the instructions first! On the website, it clearly says NOT to plug in cable until you load the driver. Download the driver from the site, and install first, following the instructions. if you plugged the cable in first, then uninstall the driver, and reinstall... then plug the cable in. It must be done in the the proper order.

THEN go to Control Panel in Windows, and open the Device Manager. Without knowing what version of Windows you're running (XP, Vista or Seven) it's hard for me to tell you exactly what to do...BUT Look for the "Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (com1) being recognized...it was on the "PORTS" on my laptop with Vista. it should "pop" up on the screen as you plug it in, and disappear as you unplug it. Once the computer "sees' the cable, you can then use the software to program the radio. One point though, it seems as if the software has to learn or look for the com port for several trys. I have found that if you click on Communications Port (the one in the middle on top)...and it says COM1, and it's not greyed out.....you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Also, on Worldwide DX Amateur Radio Forums - Ham - CB - HF - VHF - UHF, there is a software mod to do the mars expansion, if needed. Wouxununlock.ex_ is the file. The other smaller file might just work, but its in another language, and seems to be "buggy" ...stick with the bigger of the two. It will be marked "Wouxun-unlock.ex_". All you have to do is download and change the last letter "_" to "e" to get it to work.

Let me know how it works out for you!

Paul

KD8DVR

The serial cable will always look for COM1. That is dedicated to an onboard serial port.

Look at that. The software, honestly, can be a bit hokey; but once you get it, it is easy.

You didn't tell us what operating system you use. This could help

shield1751

Premium Subscriber
Serial Cable

Well....since only one of my computers has a serial port at all.....I work everything off of the USB....I do have a Keyspan serial to USB cable that i use for programming my old VX-5s. It works just fine. As long as he follows the instructions, he should have no problems. Frankly I wonder if the the mobile rig they have coming out will be programmable the same way......if so, I want one (or two).

de KM3W Paul

sciman

Double check to make sure the connector is fully pressed into the jacks, I have the USB cable and kept having the connection failed message, looked and I could see some space between the radio and the plug. It took a good push to get it in, then I was able to program

Hey thanks a lot for that tip, really had me stumped, you really need to push that cable!
-Mike

WQFM513

also, if your running windows vista you need to download the driver for windows 7. i first tried the xp/vista driver and it wouldnt work, found some tech support chat room where dude told me to use the windows 7 driver and now it works great.

JJones27320

Premium Subscriber
I have just bought a KG-UV2D off ebay and I was trying to use my Puxing PX-888 cable to program it. I was told and also looked up on ebay and the cables are supposed to be the same, but I have failures every time. I've used a Windows 7, Vista, two XP machines and even tried a Linux but always get the failure on connection. This is happening with both the programming software and the Unlocking software. I double checked that the Com port assignments match also. I am at my wits end trying to program this dang thing. I can do it by hand i suppose by i'd really like to unlock it at least so I can add some GMRS and MURS freqs

KD8DVR

I have just bought a KG-UV2D off ebay and I was trying to use my Puxing PX-888 cable to program it. I was told and also looked up on ebay and the cables are supposed to be the same, but I have failures every time. I've used a Windows 7, Vista, two XP machines and even tried a Linux but always get the failure on connection. This is happening with both the programming software and the Unlocking software. I double checked that the Com port assignments match also. I am at my wits end trying to program this dang thing. I can do it by hand i suppose by i'd really like to unlock it at least so I can add some GMRS and MURS freqs

Did you follow advise given to another user above? Make sure the cable is fully seated in the radio. If it "clicks" into place once, push again... You'll find it may then click into place.

snakecharmer

Mine came with the USB cable and I followed the instructions and installed the supplied driver....big mistake! Lost my bluetooth, wireless and soundcard. I had all kinds of issues with the software crashing and ended up programming it by hand. After getting everything on the computer working again, I tried it without loading the driver and it worked perfectly. This is on an XP-pro machine BTW so your mileage may vary but my advice if you cant get the serial cable to work is spend the $10 on the USB version. I know some of the USB to serial cables can be sketchy but use one to program my Uniden scanner with Freescan and have had no issues. These are nice little radios but man they are a pain to program by hand. I made up a little cheat sheet but the process is just not very intuitive to me. I also have the unlock software and it works great. I have all the FRS, GMRS and MURS channels programmed into mine. That alone is worth the price of the cable.

KD8DVR

Mine came with the USB cable and I followed the instructions and installed the supplied driver....big mistake! Lost my bluetooth, wireless and soundcard. I had all kinds of issues with the software crashing and ended up programming it by hand. After getting everything on the computer working again, I tried it without loading the driver and it worked perfectly. This is on an XP-pro machine BTW so your mileage may vary but my advice if you cant get the serial cable to work is spend the $10 on the USB version. I know some of the USB to serial cables can be sketchy but use one to program my Uniden scanner with Freescan and have had no issues. These are nice little radios but man they are a pain to program by hand. I made up a little cheat sheet but the process is just not very intuitive to me. I also have the unlock software and it works great. I have all the FRS, GMRS and MURS channels programmed into mine. That alone is worth the price of the cable.

Bear in mind that these radios are not type accepted for FRS, GMRS, or MURS. Of course, feel free to program them to *receive* these frequencies.... BUT. Make sure you do not have a transmit frequency programmed! You may NOT transmit on those bands!

I had a few glitches getting everything to work on my Win7 64 bit machine. I just keep the cable (USB) plugged into a USB port and never remove it. Windows does not like you moving a device from port to port...Make sure when you plug in... to plug into the same slot all the time. This helps.

snakecharmer

Bear in mind that these radios are not type accepted for FRS, GMRS, or MURS. Of course, feel free to program them to *receive* these frequencies.... BUT. Make sure you do not have a transmit frequency programmed! You may NOT transmit on those bands!

I had a few glitches getting everything to work on my Win7 64 bit machine. I just keep the cable (USB) plugged into a USB port and never remove it. Windows does not like you moving a device from port to port...Make sure when you plug in... to plug into the same slot all the time. This helps.

I have read pages upon pages of debate about part 95 vs part 97 and the suitability of these radios on certain bands and Im honestly not all that worried about it. I really only programmed them in there for monitoring anyway but in a real emergency where TX on those frequencies might be necessary, all rules are out the window as far as Im concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.