RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 2:14 PM

Default Wouxun KG-UVD1P MODS (UNLOCK TRUNKED FREQ)

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and it is a very excellent radio. Its has a very good RX range although I have noticed that quite a few of the frequencies are trunked. From what I have heard from several veterans, all i have to do is find a resistor that blockes trunked frequencies from being heard.

My Question: Does anyone know how to remove the resistor or know of a way for me to open trunked frequencies so that i can, Just Listen, as I would a scanner?

Thank You!
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2010, 6:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is no such resistor. The radio is not a P25 compatible radio....... and it is not setup for trunking It will not follow the conversations

Maybe you saw the 'Groups'.... The groups in the manual are a list of the CTCSS and DCS tones, not actual frequencies that can be followed.... Bad English translation, but from what I understand a great little radio for the buck

Last edited by Tommahawk; 11-15-2010 at 6:56 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 8:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That Wouxon radio is analog only and has no digital or trunking capabilities whatsoever. Virtually all trunking today is digital. What you heard about removing a resistor usually applies to amateur radios to modify them so that they will transmit outside the amateur bands which is generally a bad and illegal idea.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM

That radio already transmits well out of band right out of the box. no mod needed for that

SDRplay FB Group
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Cool. Thank you guys. I was under the impression that i could use it as a scanner. I guess i would have to by me a scanner now. lol
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2010, 9:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up You can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorey View Post
Cool. Thank you guys. I was under the impression that i could use it as a scanner. I guess i would have to by me a scanner now. lol
Well you can use it as a scanner, just analog. When you program the radio don't put anything
in the TX part and you should be good to go. I own two of these radios and love them both!!
Old 12-20-2010, 8:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
That Wouxon radio is analog only and has no digital or trunking capabilities whatsoever. Virtually all trunking today is digital. What you heard about removing a resistor usually applies to amateur radios to modify them so that they will transmit outside the amateur bands which is generally a bad and illegal idea.
First it is NOT illegal to modify the radio to transmit outside of the Amateur bands. In fact I have three transceivers modified to do just that, two VHF and one HF. Second I have used my transceivers out of band many times for MARS operations so there is a valid reason to do the modification, The only thing illegal would be for an person to transmit on a frequency they are not licensed for. Now is it a bad idea? In my not so humble opinion, unless you have a reason (i.e. MARS) to do so it is probably not a wise thing to do.

SkyWarn
ARES
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9WG View Post
The only thing illegal would be for an person to transmit on a frequency they are not licensed for.
How about a person authorized to utilize a frequency but the radio is not type accepted for that frequency?
Old 12-21-2010, 7:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramal121 View Post
How about a person authorized to utilize a frequency but the radio is not type accepted for that frequency?
You are correct if you want to get to that degree of technically. You could also say that it is illegal to transmit on a commercial aircraft in flight. I was just responding that it is not illegal to modify a transmitter to transmit outside of it's designed range. It's up to the person doing the modification to properly use the transmitter.

SkyWarn
ARES
Old 12-30-2010, 3:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
Not all trunking today is digital. There are plenty of trunking systems in use today that still have analog voice. Given that the radio doesn't have any trunk-tracking capabilities, you would have to program in all channels used by the trunked system and then scan the voice channels as conventional channels. This is how it was done back in the days before trunk-tracking scanners were developed. Don't forget to lock out the control channel.

I think the OP was asking if any 800/900MHz coverage could be turned on at all, having nothing to do with decoding P25 digital. I'm not familiar with this radio and don't own one so I can't help.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

Last edited by n1das; 12-30-2010 at 4:11 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 7:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorey View Post
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and it is a very excellent radio. Its has a very good RX range although I have noticed that quite a few of the frequencies are trunked. From what I have heard from several veterans, all i have to do is find a resistor that blockes trunked frequencies from being heard.

My Question: Does anyone know how to remove the resistor or know of a way for me to open trunked frequencies so that i can, Just Listen, as I would a scanner?

Thank You!
Do you mean so it'll open the radio up to the 800MHz band? If so, if you find anything, i'm looking for that too.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Wouxon portables are certified for amateur (Part 97) and land mobile (Part 90) use.

They receive well beyond the amateur bands out of the box. Unlocking software is needed to enable transmitting outside of the ham bands. No hardware modifications are necessary.

I wish they would certify the 440 model for GMRS (Part 95) use, too.
Old 06-11-2011, 5:33 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningx54 View Post
Do you mean so it'll open the radio up to the 800MHz band? If so, if you find anything, i'm looking for that too.
There is NO way to make ANY of the Wouxun models work higher than 520 MHz.

--
Comint
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
The Wouxon portables are certified for amateur (Part 97) and land mobile (Part 90) use.

They receive well beyond the amateur bands out of the box. Unlocking software is needed to enable transmitting outside of the ham bands. No hardware modifications are necessary.

I wish they would certify the 440 model for GMRS (Part 95) use, too.
I don't believe there is actually a certification for part 97? The radio is licensed through the license of the operator. You can build a radio from scratch and use it on amateur bands if you have an amateur license. This is different from any other radio service that I'm aware of where both the radio and the operator must be licensed (if not individually, as an organization).

+1 about part 95, I'd love to use them legally for MURS.
Old 06-14-2011, 2:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe that mass-produced transmitters still have to be approved by the FCC because of the potential for mass interference.

The amateur station is issued a callsign. The control operator's license class is what controls the conditions under which the station may be operated. A single document is issued that reflects both grants of authorization. Hence the intricate rules for station identification.

Last edited by DaveNF2G; 06-14-2011 at 2:45 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 7:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

just out of curiosity is the mood for extended coverage on the wouxun portables hardware or software based? my son in law was using my vx 7 for work at his security job and killed the radio during a drop from a moving van. i'm bent to say the least. he's replacing the radio to me with a vx 8 in a few weeks but has to buy a cheap replacement for work first and asap. i told him to get the wouxun as I just know he's gonna do something stupid again.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetnymedic View Post
just out of curiosity is the mood for extended coverage on the wouxun portables hardware or software based? my son in law was using my vx 7 for work at his security job and killed the radio during a drop from a moving van. i'm bent to say the least. he's replacing the radio to me with a vx 8 in a few weeks but has to buy a cheap replacement for work first and asap. i told him to get the wouxun as I just know he's gonna do something stupid again.
It's done through the programming software, no hardware mod required.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question OK to use

For a security job. I take it this means I can use a VX-8R on my security's frequency in the 463 mhz range? Is that different than using the Wouxun?
Old 06-15-2011, 1:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
For a security job. I take it this means I can use a VX-8R on my security's frequency in the 463 mhz range? Is that different than using the Wouxun?
You absolutely cannot use your VX-8R on 463MHz. The VX-8R is not a part 90 certified radio.
Old 06-15-2011, 6:24 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
NO,do not use a vx-8 as it's not a commercial radio,and that's all that needs to be said.

n9zas