RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 9:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default part 90 certified???

Has anyone dealt with either of these radios?

TYT TH-UVF1

WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

The website says that they are part 90 certified. Is this possible?
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Search on here, you'll find many threads on these radios.
The Wouxun is type accepted for part 90, and I believe the TYT is also.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

thanks, yeah i did a search and have been here reading for the last hour and a half at the "different opinions" on the subject. hope i didnt open another can of worms...
Old 09-04-2011, 1:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There may be "opinions" regarding the radios you asked about but there is no denying that the Wouxun is FCC certified for Part 90 use. The certificate itself was reproduced and published on this site not too long ago and it's for real. The other radio I don't know about. The questions of price, quality, mixing of a Part 90-certified radio with an amateur radio, blah blah blah have been beaten to death in a number of posts, also here on RR.
Old 09-04-2011, 1:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

thanks, yeah, ive seen the bat getting used a bit in those threads. i guess im pretty much in the same boat with the guys asking. im getting ready to take my tech. test oct. 1, and i am also a vol. firefighter. i have another thread on whether or not id be able to use one radio for both. i was kinda hoping the wouxun would work for me but im still unsure.
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011, 2:05 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When it comes to the FCC certification, I guess I don't understand the debate. Ask the dealer to give you the FCC ID from the certification label on the radio. Then go to the FCC Equipment Authorization database and look it up. In the database, you'll find the test report, user manual, and other documents submitted to the FCC when the certification was requested.

The Wouxon KG-UVD1P (and possibly some other model numbers) carries FCC ID WVTWOUXUN04. It has an FCC Equipment Authorization for Part 90 on 136 to 174 and 406.1 to 470 MHz.

The TYT TH-UVF1, TH-UVF2, TH-UVF3, TH-F5, and TH-F8 carry FCC ID X24-THUV. It has an FCC Equipment Authorization for Part 90 on 136 to 174 and 400 to 470 MHz.

FCC Equipment Authorization is not required for a transceiver in the US amateur radio service unless it has scanning capabilities which usually require a Part 15 certification.

Last edited by W9RXR; 09-04-2011 at 2:07 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The general procedure for "voluntary" PS radios (meaning owned by individuals) is to obtain permission from your chief or radio systems administrator. If you get the okay and your radio system is VHF or UHF (not 800 mHz) and analog FM the Chinese Part 90 radios should work.
Old 09-05-2011, 8:08 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
The general procedure for "voluntary" PS radios (meaning owned by individuals) is to obtain permission from your chief or radio systems administrator. If you get the okay and your radio system is VHF or UHF (not 800 mHz) and analog FM the Chinese Part 90 radios should work.
Except that some of them will not do 2.5 kHz steps on VHF which means in most cases if your agency is on a 7.5 kHz splinter channel the radio will be too far off frequency to be legal.
Old 09-05-2011, 9:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

thanks for the input guys. i understand where your coming from on the p.s. freqs. my dept. is on uhf so the only thing i need vhf for is ham. just figured it would be easier to just carry one radio with me whenever i leave the house to go into town, work, etc instead of carrying both radios and a pager. doubt the radio will ever be used for fd, but never know.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2011, 9:50 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Except that some of them will not do 2.5 kHz steps on VHF which means in most cases if your agency is on a 7.5 kHz splinter channel the radio will be too far off frequency to be legal.
I believe that the TYT radios with the latest firmware will do 7.5 kHz steps. Don't know about the Wouxons.
Old 09-05-2011, 5:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have a TYT it will do the 7.5, the Wouxon will not and it is my understanding they are not going to be updated to do the split either. That's supposedly why the Wouxon mobile isn't hitting the market here, which really stinks as I'd like one
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 PM

I have the TYT, and it's a very nice radio for the price.
Old 10-05-2013, 4:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Part 90 Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4ELO View Post
The website says that they are part 90 certified. Is this possible?
It is certainly POSSIBLE. In fact, it is possible even if the radio clearly and obviously fails to meet the FCC Rules for Part 90 Certification - because the FCC no longer performs any sort of checking on certification applications (not even bothering to read the user manual that has to be included as part of the application). All any manufacturer has to do is to submit a letter stating that the radio meets the rules! Actually they do have to submit some technical data about power levels and spurious output; but the FCC apparently only looks at the tech data with regard to the RF exposure limits. No one at the FCC cares that they are regularly approving radios with at in clear violation of the rules about field programmability or about the frequency coverage of these radios.

They have also been known to approve radios that physically cannot be used in compliance with the rules of the service for which the radio is approved - for example an automatic driveway sensor that the FCC approved for operation on MURS (Part 95) despite the fact that the transmitter does not monitor the channel prior to transmitting.

You can verify whether or not the radio is Part 90 approved by checking the FCC Transmitter ID number at the FCC web site (when the government isn't shut down) but you need to know the ID number or at least the manufacturer ID code before you can look it up. If a dealer says the radio is approved, ASK for the ID number, then go check that number on the FCC website.

One thing to be cautious about with ANY of the "Part 90 Approved" Chinese radios. In every case that I have heard of, the manufacturer only puts the Part 90 certification label on radios being shipped to the US from the factory. If your vendor is overseas or a small dealer who buys his radios from an overseas wholesaler instead of direct from the factory, the radio probably won't have the required certification label. According to the FCC, radios without the factory-installed label are NOT legal for Part 90 use even if the radio is the exact model that is certified. Make sure you ask your vendor if the radio has the Part 90 certification label installed. It is also worth checking about warranty return policies, because the DOA rate on Chinese radios is far higher than for the major Japanese brands we are used to.
Old 10-05-2013, 9:14 PM

It must be getting close to Halloween....The threads are rising from the dead!