• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

part 90 certified???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Search on here, you'll find many threads on these radios.
The Wouxun is type accepted for part 90, and I believe the TYT is also.

KK4ELO

thanks, yeah i did a search and have been here reading for the last hour and a half at the "different opinions" on the subject. hope i didnt open another can of worms...:)

W2NJS

There may be "opinions" regarding the radios you asked about but there is no denying that the Wouxun is FCC certified for Part 90 use. The certificate itself was reproduced and published on this site not too long ago and it's for real. The other radio I don't know about. The questions of price, quality, mixing of a Part 90-certified radio with an amateur radio, blah blah blah have been beaten to death in a number of posts, also here on RR.

KK4ELO

thanks, yeah, ive seen the bat getting used a bit in those threads. i guess im pretty much in the same boat with the guys asking. im getting ready to take my tech. test oct. 1, and i am also a vol. firefighter. i have another thread on whether or not id be able to use one radio for both. i was kinda hoping the wouxun would work for me but im still unsure.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When it comes to the FCC certification, I guess I don't understand the debate. Ask the dealer to give you the FCC ID from the certification label on the radio. Then go to the FCC Equipment Authorization database and look it up. In the database, you'll find the test report, user manual, and other documents submitted to the FCC when the certification was requested.

The Wouxon KG-UVD1P (and possibly some other model numbers) carries FCC ID WVTWOUXUN04. It has an FCC Equipment Authorization for Part 90 on 136 to 174 and 406.1 to 470 MHz.

The TYT TH-UVF1, TH-UVF2, TH-UVF3, TH-F5, and TH-F8 carry FCC ID X24-THUV. It has an FCC Equipment Authorization for Part 90 on 136 to 174 and 400 to 470 MHz.

FCC Equipment Authorization is not required for a transceiver in the US amateur radio service unless it has scanning capabilities which usually require a Part 15 certification.

Last edited:

W2NJS

The general procedure for "voluntary" PS radios (meaning owned by individuals) is to obtain permission from your chief or radio systems administrator. If you get the okay and your radio system is VHF or UHF (not 800 mHz) and analog FM the Chinese Part 90 radios should work.

nd5y

The general procedure for "voluntary" PS radios (meaning owned by individuals) is to obtain permission from your chief or radio systems administrator. If you get the okay and your radio system is VHF or UHF (not 800 mHz) and analog FM the Chinese Part 90 radios should work.
Except that some of them will not do 2.5 kHz steps on VHF which means in most cases if your agency is on a 7.5 kHz splinter channel the radio will be too far off frequency to be legal.

KK4ELO

thanks for the input guys. i understand where your coming from on the p.s. freqs. my dept. is on uhf so the only thing i need vhf for is ham. just figured it would be easier to just carry one radio with me whenever i leave the house to go into town, work, etc instead of carrying both radios and a pager. doubt the radio will ever be used for fd, but never know.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Except that some of them will not do 2.5 kHz steps on VHF which means in most cases if your agency is on a 7.5 kHz splinter channel the radio will be too far off frequency to be legal.
I believe that the TYT radios with the latest firmware will do 7.5 kHz steps. Don't know about the Wouxons.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I have a TYT it will do the 7.5, the Wouxon will not and it is my understanding they are not going to be updated to do the split either. That's supposedly why the Wouxon mobile isn't hitting the market here, which really stinks as I'd like one

N4AOF

Part 90 Approval

The website says that they are part 90 certified. Is this possible?

It is certainly POSSIBLE. In fact, it is possible even if the radio clearly and obviously fails to meet the FCC Rules for Part 90 Certification - because the FCC no longer performs any sort of checking on certification applications (not even bothering to read the user manual that has to be included as part of the application). All any manufacturer has to do is to submit a letter stating that the radio meets the rules! Actually they do have to submit some technical data about power levels and spurious output; but the FCC apparently only looks at the tech data with regard to the RF exposure limits. No one at the FCC cares that they are regularly approving radios with at in clear violation of the rules about field programmability or about the frequency coverage of these radios.

They have also been known to approve radios that physically cannot be used in compliance with the rules of the service for which the radio is approved - for example an automatic driveway sensor that the FCC approved for operation on MURS (Part 95) despite the fact that the transmitter does not monitor the channel prior to transmitting.

You can verify whether or not the radio is Part 90 approved by checking the FCC Transmitter ID number at the FCC web site (when the government isn't shut down) but you need to know the ID number or at least the manufacturer ID code before you can look it up. If a dealer says the radio is approved, ASK for the ID number, then go check that number on the FCC website.

One thing to be cautious about with ANY of the "Part 90 Approved" Chinese radios. In every case that I have heard of, the manufacturer only puts the Part 90 certification label on radios being shipped to the US from the factory. If your vendor is overseas or a small dealer who buys his radios from an overseas wholesaler instead of direct from the factory, the radio probably won't have the required certification label. According to the FCC, radios without the factory-installed label are NOT legal for Part 90 use even if the radio is the exact model that is certified. Make sure you ask your vendor if the radio has the Part 90 certification label installed. It is also worth checking about warranty return policies, because the DOA rate on Chinese radios is far higher than for the major Japanese brands we are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.