RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 3:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Smile Icom IC-T70A

I have this HT and it can do most of those things (Wide-Narrow banding and power restrictions) but I don't know how to unlock it for MURS. Not absolutely necessary, but interested.
Kenwood TS-430S

Two antennas met on a rooftop--, The wedding was O.K., but the reception was great!
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2012, 7:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Cool MURS radios

I've been lookin' and biddin' on many radios on Ebay, yet I thin I have enough. Many mobiles to be had.
Kenwood TS-430S

Two antennas met on a rooftop--, The wedding was O.K., but the reception was great!
Old 03-24-2012, 8:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool Hey, Knuckle-head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
I have this HT and it can do most of those things (Wide-Narrow banding and power restrictions) but I don't know how to unlock it for MURS. Not absolutely necessary, but interested.
Look at the list of gear at the end of your own posts, and you'll see that you already have a Tekcom radio for murs, probably like the one in my Avitar. No need to reprogram anything, if you have this. Open your eyes! P.S. You misspelled the name, one "k," not two.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Homeless Shelter/ Campus Operation

I am a retired USN, flight deck guy and have had plenty of experience with military spec handhelds and base-stations. I now have the honor of working at a homeless shelter/ campus. I have been reading this thread and am interested in a similar scenario as the Jersey earthquake preparation's gentleman (2011); though, we would use the MURS system in a day-to-day scenario. We need cheap radios our guys and gals can use for dependable communication. I also live, down a river channel from the Mission, two miles away and would likely mount something at home so as to monitor Campus communications as well. We have 8 buildings made of sandstone and/ or metal warehouses (and some cinder block walls around offices) scattered across roughly 25 acres of land in the Norfolk City limits. We have been using FRS/ GMRS radios in the FRS range, but now have realized our wayward ways and that we are not using our radios appropriately (legally) and are going to need find another means of legitimate communication. These FRS/ GMRS radios weren't working that great to begin with since I could not mount antennas externally, so MURS would likely be our best bet anyway. It appears everybody likes the RDM2020/ Maxtrac combination or the Radio Shack 120s?
Old 10-04-2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Focus1 View Post
or the Radio Shack 120s?
i have some 19-1210 murs mobiles i may consider parting with a couple of them if they are of interest to you.

you can email me at forumsnotify at gmail dot com for more info.

tried to pm you on this but couldn't for some reason.

James_Bond_007
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012, 9:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bond_007 View Post
i have some 19-1210 murs mobiles i may consider parting with a couple of them if they are of interest to you.

you can email me at forumsnotify at gmail dot com for more info.

tried to pm you on this but couldn't for some reason.

I think he has to have more posts or time before you can send him a PM.

n9zas
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 AM

Grab some Motorola HT600, P200,or MT1000(16 channel) off of ebay.These make EXCELLENT MURS radios,6-channel.I bought one for $25.00,including free programming.They are built like a tank.Get some new batteries.Mine will last a week on a fresh charge.
These are getting plentiful since the rebanding coming in 2013.
Meanwhile,I got this antenna through a trade the other day.
Decible Products DB-224A.It can hear a frog 'fart' in Fargo!
73's,Happy MURS'ing
Attached Images

Last edited by TeRayCodA; 10-05-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 6:53 AM

i want that bad a$$ antenna!!!!!

and a two wattt moto maxtrac to go with it

i'll second the list of radios and although they aren't cheap add sabers to the list.

you can pickup saber I's for 50-100 and they can be programmed to two watts and are built like bricks.

James_Bond_007
Old 10-05-2012, 9:21 AM

Now,I need a "tower monkey" to get it to the top of my tower!
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2012, 9:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can't use a Saber on the three lowest MURS channels because the Saber won't do narrowband.
Old 10-06-2012, 3:33 PM

i know. i notified him of that in the email i just sent him. you can't use most of the radios suggested on the lower 3 channels, except maybe ht1000dn's with narrow band and astro sabers.

James_Bond_007
Old 10-09-2012, 3:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRayCodA View Post
Grab some Motorola HT600, P200,or MT1000(16 channel) off of ebay.These make EXCELLENT MURS radios,6-channel.I bought one for $25.00,including free programming.They are built like a tank.Get some new batteries.Mine will last a week on a fresh charge.
These are getting plentiful since the rebanding coming in 2013.
Meanwhile,I got this antenna through a trade the other day.
Decible Products DB-224A.It can hear a frog 'fart' in Fargo!
73's,Happy MURS'ing
Right on! I remember at least one of these radios before we advanced on to some other Motorola products. Phew, bringing back the memories. Thanks. What do you recommend for a base station?
Old 10-27-2012, 4:15 AM

Ahem,,,keeping with current FCC rules,the only base station available is the RS-19-1210's.Some,in our area have been known to use Regency/Relm/Wilson field programmable radios turned down to a couple of watts,but,they can get 'unstable'this way.......
Old 10-27-2012, 6:20 AM

if you can find one 2 watt (low power) maxtracs are legal as well.

James_Bond_007
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Default UHF instead of VHF

Due to the dense/ cinderblock composition of our buildings I think we're going to move consideration to UHF and getting a 450-470 UHF FCC license. We get a little more watts and a few channels. Thanks every body for helping me through the technology maze. Your input helped me know better for what I should be looking.

Gratefully,
Scott
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2013, 1:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

MYSELF AND TWO OTHER GUYs USE MURS CH #2 (151.880) AND LIVE 5 MILES FROM EACH OTHER AND HAVE NO PROBLEM I HAVE A J-POLE ABOUT 25 FEET HIGH.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bond_007 View Post
if you can find one 2 watt (low power) maxtracs are legal as well.
On the 154.xx not the 151.xx channels. (just a reminder)

And good luck on finding any. Been looking for years.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Last edited by jhooten; 12-24-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Saber batteries

The Saber batteries can be rather expensive unless you buy the off brand which can be a piece of junk. Tread carefully before buying a radio this old. Although high in quality, it is quiet a handful and the large battery is required or the small battery won't last until noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OBW View Post
Wouldn't the Sabers be grandfathered in? you can set the murs channels to 2 watts and the sabers have no way to change the power settings on a channel unless done through the software, and can find sabers pretty cheap now days..I picked up a Saber III that is in a saber II case for 40 bucks just a few weeks ago. and mine covers from 144-160 (was 146-160 amazing what a little hex editing will do)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM

Default Visar

The Visar was one of my favorite radios when I was selling them. They are small, durable and have excellant specs on the transmit and receive side. (Don't forget the receiver quality on a radio is just as important as the power output. I don't care how many watts you are transmitting if the other radio is "deaf".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OBW View Post
My post about the sabers was in regards to Murs channels 4 and 5, I should of made that clear. What about the HT1000 and Visar radios? I think with the Visar those don't have a power hi/lo programmable button feature and those will do narrowband on the first 3 channels. I think a HT1000 or any jedi series radio would work just as long as you don't program a button or switch for hi/lo power.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM

In addition to the RS 19-1210 (a GREAT mobile), Dakota Alert also makes a Base Station model MURS station. It uses a BNC connector which is a bit odd, but with adapters it works. I have a Dakota Alert base station to free up my 19-1210s for vehicles. It works pretty well and has call buttons to use somewhat like odd sounding pagers.