RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 2:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Still have yet to see a picture of the radio turned on. I think it's vaporware. Just because there's a black plastic box that looks like a radio doesn't mean there's anything behind it.

Even if it turns out not to be vaporware, I wouldn't touch it for a price tag of $300+.
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2012, 4:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
prob cause it is one. well a cheep knock off of one.
Well IF the radio is legit, it would be interesting to compare the specs with a kenwood dual band radio.
We'll see....

n9zas
Old 04-28-2012, 4:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsphotog View Post
Still have yet to see a picture of the radio turned on. I think it's vaporware. Just because there's a black plastic box that looks like a radio doesn't mean there's anything behind it.

Even if it turns out not to be vaporware, I wouldn't touch it for a price tag of $300+.
True, but you have to admit it's probably the first real pics you've seen of it? I'm not even thinking of springing for one until I hear from others who take the plunge.
I have a kenwood tk705d & 805d so for me that's just as good!

n9zas
Old 04-28-2012, 5:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Well IF the radio is legit, it would be interesting to compare the specs with a kenwood dual band radio.
We'll see....

n9zas
I wouldnt trust anything from china. funny how when companies started moving manufaturing to china all these cheep knock offs started coming out.

serioulsy they are stealing the plans and making knock-offs. pretty obvious to see it to. if you notice all the HT they make resemble yaesu ht's

Oh and lets not forget about the knock-off Icom rigs that have been out (gotten a couple emails about those)
Old 05-21-2012, 6:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Wouxun mobile.....yet?

Now that the Dayton Hamvention is over, I've been watching for a post regarding the Wouxun dual-band mobile. Did it make its debut there? I figured if it had, word would be circulating by now. Still vaporware?

David
N5DRM
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2012, 8:37 PM

I think it was proven to be vaporware at the Hamvention last year.

It is sad, I can't say I like the photos, or whatever they were, that made it out of the radio convention that I think was in Hong Kong in late 2010 or early 2011.

I believe, with the success of the HT's, that a mobile will still come in the future, but right now - it is a no go.

Terrell

"Ham radio is one of the few slices of insanity that you actually have to test into..."
Old 05-21-2012, 9:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Was hoping though.

Sad indeed. I was hoping this year the radio would become a reality. I have two of their HT's and for the price, they are great performers. Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

David
N5DRM
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Probably the quickest way to know when it's available is reserving one on this site Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV6D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver (no cash/credit card required to reserve one and you're not obligated when they do finally arrive). You may also check here OET -- FCC ID Search using the "Grantee Code:" of "WVT" to find out when they got their equipment certification by the FCC (nothing there at this time) which most likely will happen a bit prior to it actually being available for sale in the US.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I Was on E-BAY a few Nites Ago under the Ham Radio Section....There,s 1 Jap Company that has a Dual band Out (MOBILE) Dont Remember the Name Brand off Hand....i think it,s BAEOFANG or Close to it

There Have Been Alot of OverSeas Radios Being Produced
Alot of Companies Getting Involved
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2012, 4:54 AM
NYC/NNJ DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post
I Was on E-BAY a few Nites Ago under the Ham Radio Section....There,s 1 Jap Company that has a Dual band Out (MOBILE) Dont Remember the Name Brand off Hand....i think it,s BAEOFANG or Close to it

They are all overseas companies, except for Ten-Tec which does not make VHF/UHF rigs.
NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @8:30PM 147.360/107.2 PL or 441.100/136.5 PL
http://www.nyc-arecs.org, http://www.n2nov.net
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ims View Post
Probably the quickest way to know when it's available is reserving one on this site Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KG-UV2D - KG-UV6D - KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver (no cash/credit card required to reserve one and you're not obligated when they do finally arrive). You may also check here OET -- FCC ID Search using the "Grantee Code:" of "WVT" to find out when they got their equipment certification by the FCC (nothing there at this time) which most likely will happen a bit prior to it actually being available for sale in the US.
I did this back in 2010, nothing heard :-(
But there is hope outside of Wouxun with several different manufacturers or maybe it is one manufacturer with a couple of different names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post

Yes, there is one out you can buy from Baojie *yeah, that's pretty darn close to baofeng* called the BJ-UV55. There is another that is not quite for sell internationally called the TC-VU55 but it is the same radio from what I can tell. The prices so far seem to be close to $200. There are others from different manufacturers slated to come out this year. Wouxun's was updated to Summer 2012 but was the same issue last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2nov View Post
They are all overseas companies, except for Ten-Tec which does not make VHF/UHF rigs.
You forgot Elecraft. :-) which does make a radio that can work on 2m with a transverter that they build.

I think Japan has dominated the market for as long as I have been alive. The American market was dominated by kit radios. Japan's heavy influence probably has more to do with having not just the most amateur operators per capita than any other country in the world, but the largest number of amateur radio operators in the world. And that is by a huge lead. While the US has something like 6 to 700 thousand, Japan has almost 1.3 million. That means they have a ratio of 1 amateur operator per 100 people (almost)...

Yeah, they'll Amateur Radio products in this market for a good while.

Terrell

"Ham radio is one of the few slices of insanity that you actually have to test into..."

Last edited by tekshogun; 05-27-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any reason these manufacturers don't include ability to receive on 800mhz?

Last edited by dimab; 05-28-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 5:40 PM

I have seen a few sites from China where companies do make V/U mobiles. The freq's are 136-174, & 400-480 rx, & tx. Since they are not made for different markets they are wide open for every possible application, while Icom, Kenwood, & Yaesu have different versions [with different frequency coverage] depending on the final destination of the radio. But since these Chinese mobiles aren't destined for the USA, there's no reason to have 800 rx. GARY N4KVE
Old 05-29-2012, 3:46 PM

They most likely don't bother including 800 Mhz RX because that spectrum was traditionally reserved for analog cell phones. When the last of the AMPS phones went away there wasn't really much of a point of listening in that band since the majority of the muni/public safety users in that band are using trunked radio systems and the cell phone stuff that is left is all digital and encrypted (not to mention still a federal crime to monitor).
Old 06-05-2012, 3:36 PM

probably good to note that these chinese radios are extremely cheap, often using one or two big and powerful but cheap chips. Even to have a VFO that extends outside of what your target talks in can get a bit expensive. For 800 MHz and up, they would also have to put in place blocks on those cellular frequencies (which is dumb because much of that technology is not used and the analog cellular network in america are all gone) but also blocks that would keep people from possibly trying to modify the readio to listen on the cellular frequencies... in other words - keep it simple keep it cheap

Terrell

Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 AM

It is about to start shipping in England

Wouxun KG-UV920R Wouxun Mobile Radio at 229.95 | Ham Radio
Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krmit View Post
It is about to start shipping in England

Wouxun KG-UV920R Wouxun Mobile Radio at 229.95 | Ham Radio

Hmmm, I guess we'll have to ask our english counterparts for a review!

n9zas
Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Well I'll be damned

Terrell

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On the Wouxun.us web site it says:
Quote:
.......June 15, 2012 Update......
Wouxun has informed me that the mobile radio will be available in July.
The price on the British web site without VAT 191.63 converts to $300.43 (exchange rate on June 15). I don't know if that is anywhere near what they will sell for here.

Last edited by nd5y; 06-16-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I searched the FCC OET site for the submission and can't find it. I don't know if that means it isn't certified or even submitted for certification yet or it is under some other manufacturer's name.

Tags
dualband mobile, kg-uv920r, uv920r, wouxun