RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 8:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Baofeng UV5R Programming cable issue

Have had my UV5R for a week and programmed some of it manually but that got old fast so I decided to order a USB programming cable for it.

Specs:
Windows 7 machine with 14 USB ports (3 open)
I have a lot of experience with windows systems and hardware
Cable is the standard two pin USB cable and came with drivers

When I plug in the cable to ANY USB port absolutely nothing happens. No "du du" sound, no new hardware in the device manager... nothing.

I install the driver, nothing, the backup driver, nothing.. Multiple "if all else fails" drivers from the internet... NOTHING.

Reboot, nothing....

Do I have a bad cable here? When I plug it into the UV5R the transmit light comes on for a while and then goes out and it seems as if the radio is receiving traffic (even with the antenna disconnected) but no audio through computer's speakers or the handheld.

I've tried manually adding a comm port through the device manager... and again no luck.

I'm at a loss. All I can think is bad cable but maybe somebody else has another idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Hartzell
AB1RH
Sponsored links

Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you haven't already looked at my thread on similar issues on a Wouxun and now a new Baofeng:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ama...ble-issue.html

As you can see, I've experienced similar difficulties but have also discovered some resources with the Yahoo Baofeng group that you might want to explore, if you haven't already. My search for solutions continues but I thought you might find this informational in some way. If you discover anything, I'd love to read about it in your thread as it will likely help me.
Old 09-24-2012, 7:22 PM

Use a Kenwood cable, they fit all the Chicom radios and they work, the cables that come with the radios work till the progeam is upgraded by microsoft.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 7:44 PM

This something I know. Some computers have port control in BIOS. Not many, some. Windows controls USB. I got a computer in once that drove me to cry. It was BIOS control for the Com & USB ports. They claim it's hardware control.I think it was an ASUS Worth a look. Look at IRQ's also. Thats a Windows setting.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksac2 View Post
Use a Kenwood cable, they fit all the Chicom radios and they work, the cables that come with the radios work till the progeam is upgraded by microsoft.

John
Wow you bought a radio that the cable came with the radio that's nice! Question will a radio shack wire 12a10 work for the Kenwood?
Uniden 536HP
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've always had great success with this driver. However, from the description I would say it's a bad cable. It should at least try to load a driver.

http://wouxun.us/Software/USB%20Driv...InOne_1013.exe
Old 11-24-2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjvonly1611 View Post
Have had my UV5R for a week and programmed some of it manually but that got old fast so I decided to order a USB programming cable for it.

Specs:
Windows 7 machine with 14 USB ports (3 open)
I have a lot of experience with windows systems and hardware
Cable is the standard two pin USB cable and came with drivers

When I plug in the cable to ANY USB port absolutely nothing happens. No "du du" sound, no new hardware in the device manager... nothing.

I install the driver, nothing, the backup driver, nothing.. Multiple "if all else fails" drivers from the internet... NOTHING.

Reboot, nothing....

Do I have a bad cable here? When I plug it into the UV5R the transmit light comes on for a while and then goes out and it seems as if the radio is receiving traffic (even with the antenna disconnected) but no audio through computer's speakers or the handheld.

I've tried manually adding a comm port through the device manager... and again no luck.

I'm at a loss. All I can think is bad cable but maybe somebody else has another idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Hartzell
AB1RH
Gi'day
I have a UV-5R and have used the Programing Cable now for over a year with no problems however I have tried a Friends Brand New UV-5R with same Cable and it wont connect at all.
My Neighbor also has a UV-6R and it works ok so here are the S.oftware versions I have tested so far.
Press and hols Key3 and turn on radio and the version will appear
BFB231 This version works with cable
BFB251 This version works with cable
BFB293 This version will not work with cable
All tested on same Computer Windows XP Pro
Has anyone got any suggestions as programing by hand or Manual is a real pain in the arse/.
Regatds
Don
Old 11-28-2012, 7:05 PM

I have the same problem. I was able to connect PC and the UV5R BFB293 after reading http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ web page, but when I start to transfer data, radio turns off and turns on again...and when I finaly upload frequencies (after 100 restarts) they are all mixed up.

I tried to copy frequencies from a friend who has BFB291, it seem to be incompatible.

Any help?
Old 05-06-2013, 9:59 PM

Have you confirmed that you have the most recent version of the software? Sometimes, when the UV-5R receives upgraded firmware, some of the earlier software is not updated to match. The current version of CHIRP seems to work best.

Also, you can try adjusting your computer's COM PORT rates in Device Manager. Sometimes, improper rates cause an error in the transfer.

See if this helps:
http://www.ict-america.com/pdffiles/...20Settings.pdf

Hope this info is useful. 73s - Ben, KD8POH
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I know this thread is somewhat older, but I never had a problem programming any of my radios (Wouxun, Baofeng, etc.) and it recently dawned on me as to why.

For work I sometimes need to make a serial connection to equipment, and so have had a Keyspan USB to serial adapter since they stopped putting serial ports on laptops. So when I needed a radio programming cable, I just bought a serial one and I use it with my USB to serial adapter. It wasn't until a co-worker bought one and had issues with it at work that I started to investigate. I had told him to buy a Keyspan USB to serial adapter, and he did--but Keyspan was purchased by Tripp Lite, and now they have two versions. The older one, like I have, with a Texas Instruments chip, and the newer one, with the Prolific chip. He had bought the newer Prolific one and was having the same sorts of issues as with programming radios.

I loaned him mine and it worked flawlessly. The answer was in the chipset - the TI chipset has (so far) worked in every version of Windows up to and including Windows 7. But it has to be the one with the TI chipset.

It has to be the USA-19HS model that looks like this:

Keyspan USA-19HS USB High Speed Serial Adapter - Newegg.com

The other Tripp Lite models won't work.

The downside is that this USB to serial adapter is $30+ USD. Then you have to spend $10 USD on the serial cable.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll just chime in here and say I can't remember my Wouxun making the de du sound when I plug in the program cable, but when I open the software and tell it to find the radio it does, and I am able to program it fine. BTW I reprogram my Woux at least twice week because new repeaters or simplex Hz come up.