• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng UV-5R plus Dual Band 136-174/400-480Mhz Ham Two-Way Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Everyone should check out this nbew radio at http://forums.radioreference.com/am...eur-radio-equipment/www.amazon.com....amazing price....it can also transmit on police/fire but only if your authorized. I had an opportunity to see one last night by an aux. police officer around Lower Westchester County, NY. When he told me/showed me this transceiver(dual bander w/weather too) and price..I thought he was smoking some weed! LOL
Guys..this is some radio for $58.99 w/free shipping! It is so small too. Amazing how a Uniden BC AT-125 cost more wholesale then this at $58.99!!!

Bob

Last edited:

W2NJS

This subject has previously been beaten to death in multiple threads and postings. The consensus seems to be that these are the next thing to throwaway radios, which means they're fine as long as they work but when they quit on you (which will happen sooner than later) the only realistic option is to throw them in the trash. No matter who you are, where you are, and what you are, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

aeneimia

Baofeng uv-5r

Hey Bob,
These radios are not bad for the price, and as far as them quitting working. that may be some day but recently i have used mine for a repeter in my area and it works great... full time all the time it transmits out side of the ham bands repeating other transmissions and its a work horse... dont let the size or the price fool ya... good radios.. so far... ... low power but reaches several miles with the right antenna system...
its allready paid for itself...

73's to ya..

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This subject has previously been beaten to death in multiple threads and postings. The consensus seems to be that these are the next thing to throwaway radios, which means they're fine as long as they work but when they quit on you (which will happen sooner than later) the only realistic option is to throw them in the trash. No matter who you are, where you are, and what you are, you get what you pay for.

That was the favorite saying of my ex-wife. And usually it would hold true.

Thankfully, my UV-5R seems to be bucking that trend. It's been a solid radio from day one, seeing almost daily use. It, along with my KG-UVD1P are my "go to" radios. My poor Yaesu FT-2800M is probably feeling neglected since I hardly use it any more.

:)

SCPD

QRT
BaoFeng UV-5R

Hi--Thanks for the information. Yes..you do get what you pay for but if Eastchester Police Aux. buys them..they can't be a failure!!!
To the other poster..I NEVER said I would buy one but thanks for the advise...I am not stupid! LOL
73's

k3cfc

Silent Key
Everyone should check out this nbew radio at http://forums.radioreference.com/am...eur-radio-equipment/www.amazon.com....amazing price....it can also transmit on police/fire but only if your authorized. I had an opportunity to see one last night by an aux. police officer around Lower Westchester County, NY. When he told me/showed me this transceiver(dual bander w/weather too) and price..I thought he was smoking some weed! LOL
Guys..this is some radio for $58.99 w/free shipping! It is so small too. Amazing how a Uniden BC AT-125 cost more wholesale then this at $58.99!!!

Bob

Before you pay this amount look at ebay... free shipping also.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
DON'T GET CAUGHT !!!

These radios are NOT type accepted for US commercial use..

They are OK for Ham Band operations..

They are great for the money, Just be careful !!

N2UJZ

Premium Subscriber
The Baofengs are actually good radios. I have a UV-3R which sat in an overgrown horse field for about a week when the belt clip screw came out It got rained on twice & I thought it was a goner but after a good blow-dry-job it's fine.

k3cfc

Silent Key
DON'T GET CAUGHT !!!

These radios are NOT type accepted for US commercial use..

They are OK for Ham Band operations..

They are great for the money, Just be careful !!

I don't understand don't get caught what? if you use a radio and behave yourself who would know what you are using? when you take an hf radio and do the mars mod it enables you to get on 11 meters ( cb ) do they talk there for the most part no. but if you keep things toned down who would know? Uniden president hr2510 manufactured for use on 10 meters. are they legal in the usa? no. do they use them yes. i know many people that use them on 10 meters and nobody is the wiser because they just don't say what they are using. i have chatted with people on 2 meters that say the bofang radios are rugged and work just fine for the money you could afford to throw them away if they go bad because i could buy three of them for what i paid for my ht.

Later

k3cfc

jurrd87

Premium Subscriber
I am using Windows 7 and the cable drivers work, as well as the software... but I cannot get my computer to talk to the radio... yes I have checked the com port and yes I've tried the click, wait, get error, and click read from radio again to no avail... Do you have to use Windows XP?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using my fingers

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered one today from Amazon.com and used my cash back awards so net cost is $26.00. How can I go wrong, right? Or should I cancel it? A police officer had the older model and it worked well. Granted...the audio will not be as loud as a Motorola nor will the price be that high either. So...yes for the other poster saying it is junk basically....not so sure about that, sir!!!!

SCPD

QRT
Canceled My Order W/Amazon.Com

Ok...I just canceled my order this morning with Amazon.com. I will wait till I upgrade my license anyhow...this way, I can meet and talk to more local area HAM Operators. This may be a blesing now.
Thanks for all the postive and negative postings.

73's

k3cfc

Silent Key
Ok...I just canceled my order this morning with Amazon.com. I will wait till I upgrade my license anyhow...this way, I can meet and talk to more local area HAM Operators. This may be a blesing now.

73's

Don't pay attention to the B/S on here. for what i paid for my icom t7h icould buy 4 boefangs and still be ahead of the game. if your boefang gets stolen lost or dropped and broken your out a fraction of the money i have invested. just get it and f7nd a case for it and treat it like gold and have fun. i had myicom a week and back to the factory. 3 weeks later i get it

k3cfc

Silent Key

73's

Don't pay attention to the B/S on here. for what i paid for my icom t7h icould buy 4 boefangs and still be ahead of the game. if your boefang gets stolen lost or dropped and broken your out a fraction of the money i have invested. just get it and and a case for it and treat it like gold and have fun. i had myicom a week and back to the factory. 3 weeks later i get it back.

Later

K3CFC

SCPD

QRT
K3CFC--Thanks--I don't pay attention to idots anyhow.
Thanks for your reply. Looks like I have been taken out of Premium member and if that is true...I am done w/this site!!!

73's

SCPD

QRT
I am using Windows 7 and the cable drivers work, as well as the software... but I cannot get my computer to talk to the radio... yes I have checked the com port and yes I've tried the click, wait, get error, and click read from radio again to no avail... Do you have to use Windows XP?

Follow this link and try the "USB if all else fails driver". Works great on my laptop with Windows 7.

Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.