RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BaoFeng UV-5R plus Dual Band 136-174/400-480Mhz Ham Two-Way Radio

Everyone should check out this nbew radio at http://forums.radioreference.com/ama...com....amazing price....it can also transmit on police/fire but only if your authorized. I had an opportunity to see one last night by an aux. police officer around Lower Westchester County, NY. When he told me/showed me this transceiver(dual bander w/weather too) and price..I thought he was smoking some weed! LOL
Guys..this is some radio for $58.99 w/free shipping! It is so small too. Amazing how a Uniden BC AT-125 cost more wholesale then this at $58.99!!!

Bob

Last edited by Bob3655; 10-07-2012 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: typo errors!
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This subject has previously been beaten to death in multiple threads and postings. The consensus seems to be that these are the next thing to throwaway radios, which means they're fine as long as they work but when they quit on you (which will happen sooner than later) the only realistic option is to throw them in the trash. No matter who you are, where you are, and what you are, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by W2NJS; 10-07-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 10-07-2012, 1:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Baofeng uv-5r

Hey Bob,
These radios are not bad for the price, and as far as them quitting working. that may be some day but recently i have used mine for a repeter in my area and it works great... full time all the time it transmits out side of the ham bands repeating other transmissions and its a work horse... dont let the size or the price fool ya... good radios.. so far... ... low power but reaches several miles with the right antenna system...
its allready paid for itself...

73's to ya..
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
This subject has previously been beaten to death in multiple threads and postings. The consensus seems to be that these are the next thing to throwaway radios, which means they're fine as long as they work but when they quit on you (which will happen sooner than later) the only realistic option is to throw them in the trash. No matter who you are, where you are, and what you are, you get what you pay for.
That was the favorite saying of my ex-wife. And usually it would hold true.

Thankfully, my UV-5R seems to be bucking that trend. It's been a solid radio from day one, seeing almost daily use. It, along with my KG-UVD1P are my "go to" radios. My poor Yaesu FT-2800M is probably feeling neglected since I hardly use it any more.

Old 10-11-2012, 4:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BaoFeng UV-5R

Hi--Thanks for the information. Yes..you do get what you pay for but if Eastchester Police Aux. buys them..they can't be a failure!!!
To the other poster..I NEVER said I would buy one but thanks for the advise...I am not stupid! LOL
73's
Sponsored links

Old 10-11-2012, 5:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3655 View Post
Everyone should check out this nbew radio at http://forums.radioreference.com/ama...com....amazing price....it can also transmit on police/fire but only if your authorized. I had an opportunity to see one last night by an aux. police officer around Lower Westchester County, NY. When he told me/showed me this transceiver(dual bander w/weather too) and price..I thought he was smoking some weed! LOL
Guys..this is some radio for $58.99 w/free shipping! It is so small too. Amazing how a Uniden BC AT-125 cost more wholesale then this at $58.99!!!

Bob
Before you pay this amount look at ebay... free shipping also.
Old 10-11-2012, 8:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Cool

DON'T GET CAUGHT !!!

These radios are NOT type accepted for US commercial use..

They are OK for Ham Band operations..

They are great for the money, Just be careful !!
Old 10-11-2012, 9:11 PM

Actually the UV-5R is part 90 certified. They're completely legal to use for licensed part 90 users.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Baofengs are actually good radios. I have a UV-3R which sat in an overgrown horse field for about a week when the belt clip screw came out It got rained on twice & I thought it was a goner but after a good blow-dry-job it's fine.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2012, 6:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr_inc View Post
DON'T GET CAUGHT !!!

These radios are NOT type accepted for US commercial use..

They are OK for Ham Band operations..

They are great for the money, Just be careful !!
I don't understand don't get caught what? if you use a radio and behave yourself who would know what you are using? when you take an hf radio and do the mars mod it enables you to get on 11 meters ( cb ) do they talk there for the most part no. but if you keep things toned down who would know? Uniden president hr2510 manufactured for use on 10 meters. are they legal in the usa? no. do they use them yes. i know many people that use them on 10 meters and nobody is the wiser because they just don't say what they are using. i have chatted with people on 2 meters that say the bofang radios are rugged and work just fine for the money you could afford to throw them away if they go bad because i could buy three of them for what i paid for my ht.

Later

k3cfc
Old 10-13-2012, 9:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/...3GJT7K3WQTD7P7
Old 10-13-2012, 8:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My first QSO and now friend just picked one up,he loves it pritty nifty software to program as well...for 59 bucks I mean why not?!!
Uniden 536HP
Old 10-13-2012, 8:28 PM

I am using Windows 7 and the cable drivers work, as well as the software... but I cannot get my computer to talk to the radio... yes I have checked the com port and yes I've tried the click, wait, get error, and click read from radio again to no avail... Do you have to use Windows XP?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using my fingers
Old 10-14-2012, 8:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered one today from Amazon.com and used my cash back awards so net cost is $26.00. How can I go wrong, right? Or should I cancel it? A police officer had the older model and it worked well. Granted...the audio will not be as loud as a Motorola nor will the price be that high either. So...yes for the other poster saying it is junk basically....not so sure about that, sir!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 8:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

throw-away radio??? hmmmmmm!
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2012, 1:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Canceled My Order W/Amazon.Com

Ok...I just canceled my order this morning with Amazon.com. I will wait till I upgrade my license anyhow...this way, I can meet and talk to more local area HAM Operators. This may be a blesing now.
Thanks for all the postive and negative postings.

73's
Old 10-15-2012, 5:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Ok...I just canceled my order this morning with Amazon.com. I will wait till I upgrade my license anyhow...this way, I can meet and talk to more local area HAM Operators. This may be a blesing now.

73's
Don't pay attention to the B/S on here. for what i paid for my icom t7h icould buy 4 boefangs and still be ahead of the game. if your boefang gets stolen lost or dropped and broken your out a fraction of the money i have invested. just get it and f7nd a case for it and treat it like gold and have fun. i had myicom a week and back to the factory. 3 weeks later i get it
Old 10-15-2012, 5:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

73's
Don't pay attention to the B/S on here. for what i paid for my icom t7h icould buy 4 boefangs and still be ahead of the game. if your boefang gets stolen lost or dropped and broken your out a fraction of the money i have invested. just get it and and a case for it and treat it like gold and have fun. i had myicom a week and back to the factory. 3 weeks later i get it back.

Later

K3CFC
Old 10-16-2012, 2:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

K3CFC--Thanks--I don't pay attention to idots anyhow.
Thanks for your reply. Looks like I have been taken out of Premium member and if that is true...I am done w/this site!!!

73's
Old 10-16-2012, 6:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am using Windows 7 and the cable drivers work, as well as the software... but I cannot get my computer to talk to the radio... yes I have checked the com port and yes I've tried the click, wait, get error, and click read from radio again to no avail... Do you have to use Windows XP?

Follow this link and try the "USB if all else fails driver". Works great on my laptop with Windows 7.

Baofeng UV-5R