• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSHEMS

I bought a Baofeng UV-5R, does anyone have a link to the programming software? Also, how do you make it on the radio so it shows the channel name on it. For example instead of "155.105" I want it to say "LCD"

WQPX912

VIP Software

I would suggest using the VIP (Baofeng) software, more options available to you than CHIRP at the moment. I link above will get you the correct firmware version, and then your good to go. Certain firmware versions, only using VIP software, u can use UHF up to 520 mhz, or u can disable 400-520 and TX on 200-260mhz. As of right now, i don't think chirp has that option yet. FYI

KR0SIV

Chirp was hacked to do that before VIP... once a patch/hacked version of VIP was released newer radios started coming with it.

The radio isn't capable of TX or RX in the 200mhz band

Note, thanks to new firmware to try and prevent mods you'll need to use the daily build of chirp, and unless someone gets around to re-patching it.. it will only do 2m/70cm ham bands.. Nothing else.
To program part 97 you'll want to use VIP until a new hack is released.

k3cfc

Silent Key
If anyone is interested ebay has a listing for ( nifty quick reference guide) for this radio and a whole lot more. i have a few and there worth the small price he is asking. just F.Y.I.

K3CFC

52982dodge

Does anyone have the link to program Baltimore county police an fire into the boafeng uv5r. I have the cable.

Larrykarp

Need Help Programming the UV-5R with CHIRP

I’m still baffled and hope anyone can assist me in a programming need. I’m using the very popular CHIRP software with my UV-5R. I am programming the UV-5R to work on my fire department channels, but one of the channels uses a digital PL or tone with the repeater. The info is:
Name: TAC 2, TX Freq: 159.0975, RX Freq: 155.0775, TX and RX PL’s: 223
So, in CHIRP I have it set up:

155.0775 TAC2 TSQL 123.0 123.0 223 223 NN Tone->Tone + 4.020000 NFM High S

I hope that makes sense. The radio will transmit my other non digital repeater freqs but not this one. Does not transmit or receive on this particular frequency. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Larry Karp
Quilcene, WA
Fire Chief
K9KRP

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I’m still baffled and hope anyone can assist me in a programming need. I’m using the very popular CHIRP software with my UV-5R. I am programming the UV-5R to work on my fire department channels, but one of the channels uses a digital PL or tone with the repeater. The info is:
Name: TAC 2, TX Freq: 159.0975, RX Freq: 155.0775, TX and RX PL’s: 223
So, in CHIRP I have it set up:

155.0775 TAC2 TSQL 123.0 123.0 223 223 NN Tone->Tone + 4.020000 NFM High S

I hope that makes sense. The radio will transmit my other non digital repeater freqs but not this one. Does not transmit or receive on this particular frequency. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Larry Karp
Quilcene, WA
Fire Chief
K9KRP

Set your tone mode to DTCS.

Larrykarp

Still No good

Thanks for the quick reply Keven. It still does not seem to be working. I have a good handheld here that hits the repeater and causes squelch on both that radio and my scanner. Nothing over the UV-5R and nothing when I key up the UV-5R. I'll check the repeater tomorrow from a mobile to make sure it's working properly. Thanks,
Larry

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Thanks for the quick reply Keven. It still does not seem to be working. I have a good handheld here that hits the repeater and causes squelch on both that radio and my scanner. Nothing over the UV-5R and nothing when I key up the UV-5R. I'll check the repeater tomorrow from a mobile to make sure it's working properly. Thanks,
Larry

This isn't a P25 repeater is it? I took digital PL to mean DPL/DCS, but I suppose it could be P25.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
cable use

Miklor has a lot of information but after spending several hours there I can neither get my USB cable (Prolific) to work via software installations nor can I program by keypad. I'm seriously considering selling my UV5RA that I got Monday.

There is a good youtube video on how to get those usb cables to connect, its a 3 part segment, the first is getting cable running then the next is using CHIRP....

Baofeng UV-5R Programming With a Computer, Part 1: Cable Setup - YouTube

VooVoo

Another quick question guys. Again on the UV-5R.
If I have a freq with tones on both rx and tx, what do I set the tone mode in CHIRP to?

My SAR unit changed to using a tone when another county got permission to use the same freq. No issues unless we get close to them or they close to us.
What I was told to do was add 141.3 to both RX and TX.
Do I leave the tone mode to tone and someone suggested to change it to TSQL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch
KG7EBS

nd5y

What you were told is correct. Make sure the Tone Mode column is set to TSQL and the Tone and ToneSql columns have the same frequency.
Refer to the instructions at MemoryEditorColumns - CHIRP
That is if you ONLY want to receive stations with your specific tone.
If you want to hear EVERYTHING on the frequency then don't program a receive tone (set the Tone Mode column to Tone).

Last edited:

VooVoo

Dang Tom, that was a quick reply.I may leave the tone in for now and see how it turns out. Ii have room so I may program two channels in. One with and one without and see how I like it.

Again, thanks!!!!

Mitch
KB7EBS

Status
Not open for further replies.