• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question Regarding Baofeng

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a UV-5R and and UV-5RA?

I am trying to find one but from what I can see, the only difference is in the way it looks.

Am I missing something? Are there any added/missing features of the UV-5RA over the UV-5R or is it just how it looks that is different?

k3cfc

Silent Key
Can someone tell me what the difference is between a UV-5R and and UV-5RA?

I am trying to find one but from what I can see, the only difference is in the way it looks.

Am I missing something? Are there any added/missing features of the UV-5RA over the UV-5R or is it just how it looks that is different?

You would be better off to google this.

RBMTS

Per the miklor.com site for the UV-5R, the radios are the same regardless of case style. No matter which one you choose (square case, rounded case, colored, etc) the radio electronics inside are the same. What varies is the firmware version. Many changes and upgrades have been made. The firmware is NOT upgradable so you'll want to make sure you get a radio with the latest firmware. I believe the most current version is 2.93. That is what my 5R Plus has. FYI - the firmware is NOT upgradable in these radios so what you get is what you live with.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Per the miklor.com site for the UV-5R, the radios are the same regardless of case style. No matter which one you choose (square case, rounded case, colored, etc) the radio electronics inside are the same. What varies is the firmware version. Many changes and upgrades have been made. The firmware is NOT upgradable so you'll want to make sure you get a radio with the latest firmware. I believe the most current version is 2.93. That is what my 5R Plus has. FYI - the firmware is NOT upgradable in these radios so what you get is what you live with.

I hear a lot of hams talking about these radios and they say for the money there not ad as long as you get the software to program them. now for what it's worth on ebay/fleabay /eekbay what ever you choose to call it there is a man that sells the quick guides. there called nifty quick reference guide. i have one for my icom t7h and icom 2100h and my mfj 259b antenna analyzer. he makes them for the baofeng also.

K3CFC

RBMTS

I have the 5R Plus and it is a decent radio as a spare portable. I use it for amateur radio and also on FRS frequencies to communicate with family or friends when hiking, shopping, or other outside activities.

The programming software (VIP) is free. Chirp will also work on these models (also free). I purchased my radio in a package with the programming cable which only ended up being just a few dollars more than the actual radio. The software does make life a lot easier using this radio. It gives you access to features you are not able to program via the "menu" in the radio (i.e.: alpha tagging, scan skip, channel xmit defeat, etc).

The Miklor website has free programming guides that are very helpful. My put more money into a $50 radio when the resources are free.

Just remember that this is a $50 radio. Don't expect the features and convenience of the brand name radios costing hundreds more. You live with whatever little flaws that exist in the firmware. Notable to me right now is that you can't scan programmed channels that have a receive PL code of less than 136hz. It will receive fine when sitting on a channel but will skip the channel when scanning. Just a bug that will be fixed in later versions I'm sure.

Have fun if you get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.