RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Question Regarding Baofeng

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a UV-5R and and UV-5RA?

I am trying to find one but from what I can see, the only difference is in the way it looks.

Am I missing something? Are there any added/missing features of the UV-5RA over the UV-5R or is it just how it looks that is different?
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Sponsored links

Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Can someone tell me what the difference is between a UV-5R and and UV-5RA?

I am trying to find one but from what I can see, the only difference is in the way it looks.

Am I missing something? Are there any added/missing features of the UV-5RA over the UV-5R or is it just how it looks that is different?
You would be better off to google this.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Per the miklor.com site for the UV-5R, the radios are the same regardless of case style. No matter which one you choose (square case, rounded case, colored, etc) the radio electronics inside are the same. What varies is the firmware version. Many changes and upgrades have been made. The firmware is NOT upgradable so you'll want to make sure you get a radio with the latest firmware. I believe the most current version is 2.93. That is what my 5R Plus has. FYI - the firmware is NOT upgradable in these radios so what you get is what you live with.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMTS View Post
Per the miklor.com site for the UV-5R, the radios are the same regardless of case style. No matter which one you choose (square case, rounded case, colored, etc) the radio electronics inside are the same. What varies is the firmware version. Many changes and upgrades have been made. The firmware is NOT upgradable so you'll want to make sure you get a radio with the latest firmware. I believe the most current version is 2.93. That is what my 5R Plus has. FYI - the firmware is NOT upgradable in these radios so what you get is what you live with.
I hear a lot of hams talking about these radios and they say for the money there not ad as long as you get the software to program them. now for what it's worth on ebay/fleabay /eekbay what ever you choose to call it there is a man that sells the quick guides. there called nifty quick reference guide. i have one for my icom t7h and icom 2100h and my mfj 259b antenna analyzer. he makes them for the baofeng also.

K3CFC
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I have the 5R Plus and it is a decent radio as a spare portable. I use it for amateur radio and also on FRS frequencies to communicate with family or friends when hiking, shopping, or other outside activities.

The programming software (VIP) is free. Chirp will also work on these models (also free). I purchased my radio in a package with the programming cable which only ended up being just a few dollars more than the actual radio. The software does make life a lot easier using this radio. It gives you access to features you are not able to program via the "menu" in the radio (i.e.: alpha tagging, scan skip, channel xmit defeat, etc).

The Miklor website has free programming guides that are very helpful. My put more money into a $50 radio when the resources are free.

Just remember that this is a $50 radio. Don't expect the features and convenience of the brand name radios costing hundreds more. You live with whatever little flaws that exist in the firmware. Notable to me right now is that you can't scan programmed channels that have a receive PL code of less than 136hz. It will receive fine when sitting on a channel but will skip the channel when scanning. Just a bug that will be fixed in later versions I'm sure.

Have fun if you get one.