RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2NJS View Post
My UV-5R cost me about $69, including shipping, from a US supplier/shipper, including radio, two batteries, drop-in charger, program disk, programming cable, and combination earphone/microphone, about three weeks ago or so. I found after a few days that it also does the complete UHF band up to and including 512 mHz, transmit and receive.
That is a good deal. It doesn't hurt to have an extra battery, and for $10 a pop, you can't beat it. Mine came with the basic, stuff, including the earpiece. I ordered another battery, the lapel Mic for when out and about, and programming cable for easy programming. I imagine that I will buy more accessories at the hamfest when it comes, as I won't have to pay for shipping.
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM

any UV-5 'rs in/around N.W. Ind.??
M.City,Westville,Wanatah,Valpo area??
Old 06-09-2013, 7:38 PM

Help with programming my UV-5R? I have put in all the correct transmit and receive frequencies and can transmit but cannot receive. I decided to try swapping these and now I can receive but cannot transmit. I just do not know what I am doing wrong.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by missikay71 View Post
Help with programming my UV-5R? I have put in all the correct transmit and receive frequencies and can transmit but cannot receive. I decided to try swapping these and now I can receive but cannot transmit. I just do not know what I am doing wrong.
If you're using a repeater to talk to people, it sounds as though your radio may be in simplex mode rather than repeater mode. Other than that hint, I'm probably unable to help. I haven't done any manual programming for my UV5R. I used CHIRP and a data cable and that made it all pretty simple. Well, simple might not be the right term because it was a real pain finding and installing the correct Windows driver for the data cable, but once that data cable was working there wasn't much to it.

73 - Steve - KF7ZTZ
Old 06-10-2013, 5:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Take ALL tones out of RX unless you need them to prevent intermod from opening squelch. The Baofeng radios don't like RX tones, as I found out firsthand. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2013, 5:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Try this, http://forums.radioreference.com/ama...eng-uv-5r.html
Old 06-11-2013, 8:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You should hear the repeater ID every ten minutes or so. Have you set the offset correctly? Plus or minus? For 2 meter it should be plus or minus 600. For 440 it should be plus or minus 500.If your hearing the repeating ID itself your receiving and there's probably just no traffic.
Old 06-12-2013, 8:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You don't need offsets to hear a repeater. offsets along with pl tones are used for the sole purpose of bringing up a repeater. if your having trouble receiving put the local weather channel in and get it to receive. with this done then you can work on the repeater stuff.

K3CFC
Old 06-12-2013, 9:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You don't need offsets to hear a repeater. offsets along with pl tones are used for the sole purpose of bringing up a repeater. if your having trouble receiving put the local weather channel in and get it to receive. with this done then you can work on the repeater stuff.

K3CFC
I realize that you don't need offsets to hear a repeater, but if he transmits trying to get a repeater he will need the correct settings and whats the point of just hearing the repeater, and I don't think he just wants to use his ham radio for a weather radio. the goal is to get his radio completely operational.
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Does any body know where to get a driver for vista, I tried the one from baofeng website but doesn't work.
Old 10-24-2013, 7:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan61 View Post
I think it is a great little radio (especially for the price) - adding the Nagoya 771 and the extended battery - just makes it that much better!
Speaking of the Nagoya, 701 is 8", 771 is 16". Anybody tried both?, 16" antenna on your belt clip might be geeky? but if performance improves noticeably then I will live with it. I live in a repeater rich environment, but can only hear a repeater 10 miles away with my 1 weak (week)old UV-5R+. My Icom IC-02AT right now is putting it to shame. TX
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Post (almost) About to trash my UV-5R+Plus, sadly..

I'm reasonably techy, even at 75, but this little dude is driving me nutz and trying to use the YAHOO group under the new "improved" horrible YAHOO format raises the "nutz" factor to forcing me back to manual programming in desperation..

This is what I get using CHIRP or other programs under 2 different cables (One from my TH-6 and the other from the WOUXON (Which works fine with either cable, BTW)

For Download from Radio or Upload to radio Com 3 or com5:
"Radio did not ack programming mode" (using latest CHIRP)

or: "Cannot connect the radio" (Using UV5R Program)

Drivers are 3.2.0.0.as recommended, Plugs have been shaved,

have just about memorized the meat of the excellent Niklor sites and others yet the same inability to connect fails every time. .

Connectors are working as speaker/mike functions OK.

Really appreciate some help here on good old RR..

Tom
w4nov.us
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouffHong View Post
I'm reasonably techy, even at 75, but this little dude is driving me nutz and trying to use the YAHOO group under the new "improved" horrible YAHOO format raises the "nutz" factor to forcing me back to manual programming in desperation..

This is what I get using CHIRP or other programs under 2 different cables (One from my TH-6 and the other from the WOUXON (Which works fine with either cable, BTW)

For Download from Radio or Upload to radio Com 3 or com5:
"Radio did not ack programming mode" (using latest CHIRP)

Does your computer recognize the cable? The computer should make that "bong" noise when you plug it in, and you should be able to go to 'device manager' to see which port number was assigned to it..Depending on which version of windows you have, it'll be listed under 'com port' or 'usb'.

or: "Cannot connect the radio" (Using UV5R Program)

I've programmed about 40 of these and it almost never connects on the first try, sometimes not even on the second attempt. I do not use chirp. Another problem that I've had with the factory software is when you get to the end of the channel line (where you type in channel name) if you hit enter twice by mistake, it locks up the software. The solution to that is to save often..

Drivers are 3.2.0.0.as recommended, Plugs have been shaved,

have just about memorized the meat of the excellent Niklor sites and others yet the same inability to connect fails every time. .

Connectors are working as speaker/mike functions OK.

Really appreciate some help here on good old RR..

Tom
w4nov.us
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Unable to program with any program

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-gerty View Post
Have tried at least 30 times to get a connect, but program(s) report that they cannot connect (See examples in original message)
There is recognition on the W7 PC that a connect is there at the PC end and selections (COM3 and COM5) show up in the Program initial com-box select, but errors earlier stated pop up 100% of the time. have tried both ports and 2 different cables , as stated
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2013, 9:36 PM

I don't use win7, I use either xp or 2000.If your 'puter is 64 bit that may be an issue, I don't know..Have you tried a different 'puter?
This is what I see when the cable is recognized, prolific adapter on com port 4
Attached Images

Tags
uv5r