• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDickerson

Premium Subscriber
Just bought a new UV5R. Figured out the programming both manual or using the downloaded software. I was even able to figure out I needed the correct version of the software.

Now I'll admit an as much of a noob as there ever was when it comes to the programming of a radio. But the concepts are rocket science either..

In any case I have added a few channels of local repeaters, entered the TX & RX frequencies, the RX & TX CTCS values. Even named the channels with meaningful stuff...

But... I get no audio. I find it hard to believe there's absolutely no repeater traffic. Once in a while I hear some CW, but no voice. I can get voice audio if I tune(frequency mode) to a local EMS or Fire Dept dispatch, so I know the receive & the audio are working.

I've lowered the squelch to a setting of one. (zero gives me the background noise..), and tried setting all the CTCS values to OFF with the same results...

I'm kinda stumped.. Is there something beside the frequencies and CTCS values I need to update to make it work?

Thanks..

RBMTS

Are you scanning the memory channels? If so, the current version of firmware has a bug that causes the radio not to stop on a memory channel that has an RX CTCSS of less than 136hz while scanning. You'll need to program those memory channels to have CTCSS on the TX only. The radio receives a RX CTCSS memory channel if you manually select that channel. This problem only occurs when scanning.

If this problem is happening for you while having selected a memory channel (not scanning), the I suggest you program in a second memory channel for that repeater with TX CTCSS only to see you can then hear the repeater when it is active. Then you can test to see if you can also hear it with RX CTCSS turned on with the other memory channel.

harrv

Premium Subscriber
The CW you describe is probably the repeater identifying itself every so often. If you can hear that, but no voice, I think it's very likely that nobody is using the repeater. In my local area, I can hear about half a dozen repeaters, but only one of them regularly has any traffic on it. And I'm told that repeater is the most active in the state.

If you're a licensed ham radio operator, try transmitting something like, "<your call sign> monitoring". If someone else is listening, they might make contact with you.

MikeDickerson

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all... It's the latter of the two. not much radio traffic around, and my 2 nearest repeaters at home are about 10 miles either way.. I figure 4.2 watts might get me 6-8 miles with good conditions. So guess what my tower's gonna be... I guess my next questions will be about linking repeaters..

Thanks again..
KK4NAV
Mike

TinMan61

Thanks for asking Mike, I just got my General ticket in October...and I'm such a noob, I thought 2m would be the easiest of ham frequencies to learn...but have since learned how wrong I was (repeaters, CTCSS, tone, no-tone...sheesh)!?

VHF operation is such a "board-to-the-face" for me, I haven't even set-up my nearly pristine ICOM IC-271A and my Dr Ed Fong J-Pole!

I have made several DX QSO's as well as numerous out-of-state QSO's...so i am having fun and learning a lot...just not as much fun on the VHF/UHF bands.

I have "monitored" a few 2m nets using my UV-3R (they dont hear me, or if they do, they don't reply) so I am considering using the 3R as a two way and buying myself the UV-5R (maybe I'm a glutton for punishment - but hey, the price is right).

jimtFP12

I just got the same radio on Friday 12/14/2012. I have not been able to figure out how to program this thing at all.
With the Naugy Fire Police so I really only need to get the Fire Dept and the Fire police Freq put into it.

I really need help with this.

RBMTS

It's not all that hard. The easiest way is to just type in the frequencies on the keyboard. One of them to the "A" VFO and the other to the "B" VFO. You radio is probably already setup on dual watch so it should monitor both channels.

If you want to save them into memory channels, it is easy to do that. Best to follow the manual that came with the radio. If you want some easier to understand instructions, go to www. miklor.com/uv5r for loads of information.

As suggested to others, get yourself the free programming tool for it. If you purchased the radio with the USB programming cable, the program will make it MUCH EASIER to setup the radio the way that you want regarding frequencies, channels, PL, and various user preference settings.

k3cfc

Silent Key
I just got the same radio on Friday 12/14/2012. I have not been able to figure out how to program this thing at all.
With the Naugy Fire Police so I really only need to get the Fire Dept and the Fire police Freq put into it.

I really need help with this.

Well here goes. i know how many hate ebay but put this in there and go from there.

nifty quick reference guide

Good luck

K3CFC

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
It's not all that hard. The easiest way is to just type in the frequencies on the keyboard. One of them to the "A" VFO and the other to the "B" VFO. You radio is probably already setup on dual watch so it should monitor both channels.

If you want to save them into memory channels, it is easy to do that. Best to follow the manual that came with the radio. If you want some easier to understand instructions, go to www. miklor.com/uv5r for loads of information.

As suggested to others, get yourself the free programming tool for it. If you purchased the radio with the USB programming cable, the program will make it MUCH EASIER to setup the radio the way that you want regarding frequencies, channels, PL, and various user preference settings.

Beware, you cannot put a frequency into the ''B" VFO with the dual watch already on. The A/B button will not cycle down to B. I spent all afternoon trying to figure out why my A/B button would not work until I turned DW off. Menu 7 turns it on and off.

TinMan61

Beware, you cannot put a frequency into the ''B" VFO with the dual watch already on. The A/B button will not cycle down to B. I spent all afternoon trying to figure out why my A/B button would not work until I turned DW off. Menu 7 turns it on and off.

Excellent, that's the type of information I was looking for! I just bought this radio based on this thread & other research!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

svfd1152

Premium Subscriber
uv-5r voice inversion

does anyone know if you can do voice inversion on uv-5r

VFN05

UV5R reception issues

Hello All. If you are using the stock rubber duck antenna on the UV5R, take a second to make sure the center conductor has not fallen out of the antenna side. This is exactly what happened to mine with 2 weeks of light use. Using the upgraded antenna from wouxun.us has made the radio work 100% better!

Jason

twobanger

beofeng

When I first got these radios :version 251: they were tricky to program but it was doable. Now with the newest firmware they are a bear to program. I will not be buying any more. Product support is non existent.
I will buy used Motorola and have a quality product and not an aggravating throw away radio.

jimtFP12

Thanks, i just put in for the cable and software for the radio. I shouold have it by Jan 14

RBMTS

Jason - would that be a case of antenna impotency or "AED" ?

warscout2

I have a uv5ra and I could here lots of signals all around me but I could not transmit and activate any repeaters. I upgraded the antenna and I could hear that I was activating the repeater but still no replys. So I used the headset that came with it. Then I got tons of people replying. So it looks like there is a combo of a pour antenna and a low mic. But now I can make lots of contacts. Try the 771 antenna.

TinMan61

I have a uv5ra and I could here lots of signals all around me but I could not transmit and activate any repeaters. I upgraded the antenna and I could hear that I was activating the repeater but still no replys. So I used the headset that came with it. Then I got tons of people replying. So it looks like there is a combo of a pour antenna and a low mic. But now I can make lots of contacts. Try the 771 antenna.

Thanks warscout - a friend who also bought the updated antenna (Nagoya 771) said he improved his RX/TX by adding a length of copper wire (speaker wire), at least as long as the antenna, looped around the antenna terminal, then twist the antenna down over this - it acts as an effective counterpoise.

Thanks for the additional information regarding listening via the ear-piece. I will try that on my newly acquired UV-5R!

W2IBC

just got mine today.

programming.. use the software.

as for the audio. mine works good. maybe i am lucky

ptt-id is cheap. seriously they couldnt come up with something similar to mdc-1200? they use dtmf? blah.

overall its not bad.

k3cfc

Silent Key
just got mine today.

programming.. use the software.

as for the audio. mine works good. maybe i am lucky

ptt-id is cheap. seriously they couldnt come up with something similar to mdc-1200? they use dtmf? blah.

overall its not bad.

You did the right thing. now get a diamond antenna and a lapel microphone and you will have a nice little radio.

K3CFC

TinMan61

I think it is a great little radio (especially for the price) - adding the Nagoya 771 and the extended battery - just makes it that much better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.