RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 8:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Exclamation Wouxan Radio Problems

Im looking for some help. I own a Wouxun KG-UV6D and a Wouxun KG-UVD1. I programmed both radios from the computer using all the recommended software and cable. Both radios operated normally without any issues. I used the radios every day for a few weeks, then it started giving me problems. When i would turn on the UV6D, the settings would be back to default. I would get the chinese voice and everything that i set to custom would be back to default. Whats weird is that the frequencies would still be saved in the radio but the settings were all changed. This would happen every time i turned the radio off. This same things happened with the UVD1 about a week later also. I am currently still having this problem with both radios, and it seems the only way to get my settings back is to manually change them from the radio, or change them from the computer. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anybody share any help? I am not big into radios or radio repair, I'm just using this radio to monitor and transmit on Fire and EMS frequencies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2012, 9:52 PM

Mine did the same thing I have the #1 model changed it back with software and the next day the darn thing did it again so I did it manually and so far it has not messed up I was told it a gliche in the radio,that is as far as I can help you more nuisance than anything.
Old 12-26-2012, 3:21 PM

I just have to ask. Besides having the problems you describe, WHY are you using a ILLEGAL radio
on the emergency service frequency's?
Old 12-26-2012, 3:44 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's funny, it's not a glitch. The radio is telling him something and he just refuses to believe it.
Old 12-26-2012, 4:00 PM

" Besides having the problems you describe, WHY are you using a ILLEGAL radio
on the emergency service frequency's?"

And I have to ask, what makes you think these radios are 'illegal' for use on Fire and EMS frequencies?
- 'Doc
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2012, 8:36 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The ad says they may be suitable for other countries and areas but nothing about Part 90 in the US. Unless they're FCC certified for the service they're illegal for transmitting there, Amateur radios are certified for Part 97 but not Part 90. This is ITU zone 2, zones 1 and 3 have different band plans, for example in the UK the 2M band ends at 146MHz while in the US it extends to 148MHz.

That's why my remark about the radio telling him something, sometimes my tongue wanders into my cheek.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
I just have to ask. Besides having the problems you describe, WHY are you using a ILLEGAL radio
on the emergency service frequency's?
Cabletech strikes again.
Did you notice the OP is only using the radios to MONITOR?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Both radios are Part-90 certified. The 'UV-6' is also narrow banded so it's still legal for commercial use after that change.
- 'Doc
Old 12-27-2012, 2:48 PM

mts over loaded his small toe again. Watch your mouth. The OP DOES state that he is using these radios to transmit.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2012, 3:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They are both Part 90 certified for commercial/public safety frequencies. No certification is necessary for amateur frequencies. The certification mentioned in Part 97 is for external power amplifiers only.

You won't shoot your eye out.
Old 12-27-2012, 3:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You can operate these radios in VFO mode which I think they call freq mode and also a combination of VFO and memory. Are you sure the front panel setting is set up for only memory mode?
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny101641 View Post
Im looking for some help. I own a Wouxun KG-UV6D and a Wouxun KG-UVD1. I programmed both radios from the computer using all the recommended software and cable. Both radios operated normally without any issues. I used the radios every day for a few weeks, then it started giving me problems. When i would turn on the UV6D, the settings would be back to default. I would get the chinese voice and everything that i set to custom would be back to default. Whats weird is that the frequencies would still be saved in the radio but the settings were all changed. This would happen every time i turned the radio off. This same things happened with the UVD1 about a week later also. I am currently still having this problem with both radios, and it seems the only way to get my settings back is to manually change them from the radio, or change them from the computer. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anybody share any help? I am not big into radios or radio repair, I'm just using this radio to monitor and transmit on Fire and EMS frequencies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
mts over loaded his small toe again. Watch your mouth. The OP DOES state that he is using these radios to transmit.
and your point is...what? These are PART 90 radios. You have a GROL, or so you claim to, you should know this.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM

People may be confusing these Wouxuns with Baofengs. The Baofengs have part 90 certification however it's not for 12.5 or 25 khz bandwidth FM (appears to be some erroneous emission designator) and the power output is for 1.-something watts. The wouxuns on the other hand do appear to be certified, its just that they seem to be stricken with reliability issues. I know its tempting when times are tough to go with some $40 radio for Fire/EMS, but it's risky and really not a good idea. Public safety in China don't even use them.
Old 12-28-2012, 6:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Crazy that you can't ask a question without getting a speech from a bunch of lids; Especially ones that don't know what they are talking about.

I think I will add a disclaimer to my signature to give notice to stuffy OMs that I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks they have wisdom to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Stuffy OM Lids need not respond
Old 12-28-2012, 6:37 PM

>>Stuffy OM Lids need not respond

Love your signature.....

How about this one:

Replies originating from your mommy's basement need not respond.....
Old 03-24-2013, 2:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking lids

[QUOTE=traumacop;1881417]Crazy that you can't ask a question without getting a speech from a bunch of lids; Especially ones that don't know what they are talking about.

I think I will add a disclaimer to my signature to give notice to stuffy OMs that I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks they have wisdom to offer."......................

You and bearcat read my mind on this subject, (or some of the replies contained in the thread) I LIKE IT!

My "illegal" radio is a bit hard to learn as well. From what I have noticed it's simple setting issues most of the time, coupled with extremely horrible chinese to english translations, and odd programming methodology. My issue is changing from vfo to memory. A differnet thread gave me the idea of inputing a pass code "12121212" or something like that, at the right prompt, and then change it to all "0". Ill let yall know if it works.

**Nice to see LtDoc is still the voice or reserve and sanity here..I need to pop in more often** 73's Dave KC5UTA
Old 03-24-2013, 3:06 PM

You can lock out the front panel programming access in software so the user only has access to the memory channels.

The FCC id # for the 6 is WTWOUXUN04 if you want to look it up.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Last edited by jhooten; 03-24-2013 at 3:10 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 3:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
You can lock out the front panel programming access in software so the user only has access to the memory channels.

The FCC id # for the 6 is WTWOUXUN04 if you want to look it up.
thanks I will play with that as well