RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 9:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Wouxun KG-UVD1P

I am Having trouble with my Wouxun KG-UVD1P . When i turn it off then Back on it will go back to factory settings. Tried a new battery but it did not help.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I also am having a problem with a Wouxun but, its the model KG-UVD3D. After reprogramming it will be OK for a couple of days then it goes back to factory settings. I contacted Wouxun and asked about a bios battery. They told me it is probably a chip problem and to return it back to where I got it for service, Nothing is user serviceable. I purchased it from Power Werx. I am going to send them an e-mail today and see what they have to say.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmmm....I never heard of this. I had a UVD1P for a year an no problems at all out of it. I'm sorry it is no help, but if it is still in warranty, I would contact them for sure. Yeah, these are called "throw away" radios for a reason. Lol, but anyhow, wish you the best and hope your problem gets resolved.
Old 02-28-2013, 1:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Like the other poster, my radio has been working fine for over a year with no problems. I keep it on all day and night with one recharging per day and on with the battery recharging and have not let it go below the "7.5V" limit to keep the battery from aging prematurely. Using the "battery saver" feature helps a lot for extended RX periods.
I have heard that these radios will act up (like your's?) when the battery pack gets down to around 6 volts. Does it do this with the battery indicator above 7.5V? If so, it is probably an electronic malfunction. If the battery pack is old (should last 5 years+ with lots of shallow discharges - no lower than the 7.5V level), this may be your problem. To test the pack, run the radio till it reaches the "7.5V" level, then (with the radio off) see how long it takes to reach 8.2V on the display. A god pack shoild take 1-1 1/2 hours to charge to this level. If it takes LESS time, the pack has reached it's life's end (either from too many deep discharges or a faulty charger). If the battery pack checks out OK, the radio has an electronic problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: Wouxun KG-UVD1P

And to think, the seasoned hams said these radios wouldn't last a year..lol. It seems now that the Chinese have gotten into the radio thing like this, there will be new models all the time, even more than the big names. Now when will the Chinese get to making HF rigs?

Jason Dailey
N4JKD
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2013, 6:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mine reverts back to speaking Chinese if the battery gets real low. There is a way to get it back to speaking English with a push of a button here and there but have not found that yet. I just hook it up to the computer and hit the write to button. Puts my configuration right back in there.

John
Vx-150, Wouxun KG-UV2D dual band HT, Baofeng 5RA.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have to admit, for the money, these radios can't be beat but they do come with some operating problems such as using it in a low voltage condition. Down to 7 volts, things may start to happen and around 6 volts, lots of things start to go weird in a lot of these radios.
That's why I never let the pack go below "7.5V". With the battery saver on, the fully charged pack lasts from 12 to 18 hours with moderate receiving activity (no TXing). Doing this, the pack gets only shallow discharges and extends battery pack life. It's been 15 months since I first used it and the pack recharges to 8,5V in a little more than an hour - indicating a good condition pack (if it takes less time to reach 8.2V, this is an indication of pack life wear). From what I read, a lot of shallow discharge cycles is not harmful to the pack and can extend it's life to 5 years+.
But once the radio operates below 6.5 to 6.0 volts, strange things start to happen, like CPU settings changing as the above post states. Otherwise, the radio is well worth the price.