• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng 888-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Well, I got outbid on yet another radio on eBay. I'm curious about these... 2 Two Way Radios BAOFENG UHF Handheld Interphone Transceiver 2 Way Walkie Talkie | eBay

I know they're Chinese and probably crap quality... But I have heard some good things about them in the midst of all my allegations about them being complete Chinese crap.

I'm curious what you guys think of this, because I don't know that much about them. They are pretty cheap... 50 bucks... Including software and programming cable. I'm going to be using them to probably half monitor local FD/PD, and I'll fill the other half up with more FD/EMS or probably GMRS, but I can change it around because that software's included. They aren't going to be dealing with any severe duty work or anything, I just want to know if anyone has experience and feedback.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
No experience with those in particular, but if the software is anything like the baofeng software that comes with the uv5r plus, forget about it. The software doesn't work for squat. I don't know if there are any 3rd party programs that work with that model but I'd check before purchasing them if I was you.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

RonnieUSA

Well, I got outbid on yet another radio on eBay. I'm curious about these... 2 Two Way Radios BAOFENG UHF Handheld Interphone Transceiver 2 Way Walkie Talkie | eBay

I know they're Chinese and probably crap quality... But I have heard some good things about them in the midst of all my allegations about them being complete Chinese crap.

I'm curious what you guys think of this, because I don't know that much about them. They are pretty cheap... 50 bucks... Including software and programming cable. I'm going to be using them to probably half monitor local FD/PD, and I'll fill the other half up with more FD/EMS or probably GMRS, but I can change it around because that software's included. They aren't going to be dealing with any severe duty work or anything, I just want to know if anyone has experience and feedback.
Why would You want something that can only transmit about 6km,about 6500 yards?
According to the listing You can buy it for $48.99.

fdscan

This is the software that comes with it: Uso del software per programmare le radio Bf-888 Baofeng - YouTube

Video's not in English but it still shows the software.

RonnieUSA - I didn't see that, actually... But, whatever I transmit will be in the area on GMRS non-repeater will be in the area of one square mile, at the most. It would still be nice to have a better distance than that, though. All the FD and PD in my town runs off of four repeaters throughout the town, and the EMS is AMR/CMED, which has a repeater out of the city next to me, not sure if I'll pick it up or not, but I'd assume so. Scanner picks it up just fine.

RonnieUSA

This is the software that comes with it: Uso del software per programmare le radio Bf-888 Baofeng - YouTube

Video's not in English but it still shows the software.

RonnieUSA - I didn't see that, actually... But, whatever I transmit will be in the area on GMRS non-repeater will be in the area of one square mile, at the most. It would still be nice to have a better distance than that, though. All the FD and PD in my town runs off of four repeaters throughout the town, and the EMS is AMR/CMED, which has a repeater out of the city next to me, not sure if I'll pick it up or not, but I'd assume so. Scanner picks it up just fine.
Here yea go dual band, and cheaper also >> BAOFENG UV 5RA Ham Two Way Radio 136 174 400 480 MHz Dual Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM | eBay

Will do what You want it to.

fdscan

I was considering it, but I want something small and simple, and might need two as well. That's one of the main reasons I looked at the 888S.

fdscan

I don't know, cheap chinese crap for 90 bucks... And to be completely honest with you, I absolutely have the design and look of it.

fdscan

Don't take it wrong man, I didn't mean that in a negative way. Of course I appreciate the help, and I know that both are Chinese crap. There's just a good price difference between the two, and I doubt I'll use all of the features on the one you posted, but thanks for the suggestion on it.

RonnieUSA

Don't take it wrong man, I didn't mean that in a negative way. Of course I appreciate the help, and I know that both are Chinese crap. There's just a good price difference between the two, and I doubt I'll use all of the features on the one you posted, but thanks for the suggestion on it.

I'm not offended, You go from 1 band to 2 bands, that was what I was looking at.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
I love people that ask for help but then shoot down all the suggestions. Get the ones you want.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

fdscan

I appreciate the suggestions, but I just don't have a need for the more sophisticated ones people were suggesting, and I personally didn't like the looks of them at all.

I'm just curious about what people think about the 888S, if they're worth buying or not.

KC2SUR

Re: Baofeng 888-S 16 Channel UHF Tranceiver

I own three of these radios, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Easily programmed via PC, Great audio on Tx/Rx, adequate range, and great battery life.

I use them for 70 cm (440 MHz) Amateur use, and to MONITOR my local public service frequencies, and have no complaints on either !.

I have no trouble hitting ham repeaters 20-30 miles away, and have gotten great audio reports on both local simplex and repeater Amateur use.

In my humble opinion,
this is NOT ..."cheap Chinese crap"... at all, but it is a well functioning radio that is well worth its price !!!

If I had to pick one thing negative to say, it would be the lightweight case, but I have never made it a habit of dropping my radios, so that will not be a problem.

So, I say go for it !!!

de:

Last edited:

fdscan

I own three of these radios, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Easily programmed via PC, Great audio on Tx/Rx, adequate range, and great battery life.

I use them for 70 cm Amateur use, and to monitor my local public service frequencies, and have no complaints on either !.

I have no trouble hitting ham repeaters 20-30 miles away, and have gotten great audio reports .on both simplex and repeater use.

In my humble opinion, this is NOT ..."cheap Chinese crap"... at all, but it is a well functioning radio that is well worth its price !!!

If I had to pick one thing negative to say, it would be the lightweight case, but I have never made it a habit of dropping my radios, so that will not be a problem.

So, I say go for it !!!

de:

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

You're saying the casing/housing of the radio itself is lightweight?

KC2SUR

You're welcome.
Its basically the same non-waterproof plastic case as in your average GMRS/FRS radio.
Just don't expect a heavy/hard case Like on a Vertex, Kenwood or Motorola Commercial Rig.

But Just as long as you don't drop or drown it, it should be fine.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Baofeng radio

I know this has been said before, but just buying two radios and picking a frequency can cause problems and bring big fines. If you do not have a license for the the frequency and just pick one, you may interfere with medical, fire, or police. Operating on any UHF frequency without a license except FRS is illegal, and even FRS requires a radio that meets FCC certfication

KC2SUR

Correct !!!

I would have thought that there were UHF equivalents to the "MURS" channels,
but upon checking, I see that even the "Color Dot/Star" frequencies require a license !!!

Thanks Jaspence,
I learned a useful tidbit of radio information today !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.