RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 9:21 PM

Default Baofeng 888-S

Well, I got outbid on yet another radio on eBay. I'm curious about these... 2 Two Way Radios BAOFENG UHF Handheld Interphone Transceiver 2 Way Walkie Talkie | eBay

I know they're Chinese and probably crap quality... But I have heard some good things about them in the midst of all my allegations about them being complete Chinese crap.

I'm curious what you guys think of this, because I don't know that much about them. They are pretty cheap... 50 bucks... Including software and programming cable. I'm going to be using them to probably half monitor local FD/PD, and I'll fill the other half up with more FD/EMS or probably GMRS, but I can change it around because that software's included. They aren't going to be dealing with any severe duty work or anything, I just want to know if anyone has experience and feedback.

“A free people ought...to be armed” - George Washington
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Baofeng 888-S

No experience with those in particular, but if the software is anything like the baofeng software that comes with the uv5r plus, forget about it. The software doesn't work for squat. I don't know if there are any 3rd party programs that work with that model but I'd check before purchasing them if I was you.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
Old 03-02-2013, 9:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk_165 View Post
Well, I got outbid on yet another radio on eBay. I'm curious about these... 2 Two Way Radios BAOFENG UHF Handheld Interphone Transceiver 2 Way Walkie Talkie | eBay

I know they're Chinese and probably crap quality... But I have heard some good things about them in the midst of all my allegations about them being complete Chinese crap.

I'm curious what you guys think of this, because I don't know that much about them. They are pretty cheap... 50 bucks... Including software and programming cable. I'm going to be using them to probably half monitor local FD/PD, and I'll fill the other half up with more FD/EMS or probably GMRS, but I can change it around because that software's included. They aren't going to be dealing with any severe duty work or anything, I just want to know if anyone has experience and feedback.
Why would You want something that can only transmit about 6km,about 6500 yards?
According to the listing You can buy it for $48.99.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 PM

This is the software that comes with it: Uso del software per programmare le radio Bf-888 Baofeng - YouTube

Video's not in English but it still shows the software.

RonnieUSA - I didn't see that, actually... But, whatever I transmit will be in the area on GMRS non-repeater will be in the area of one square mile, at the most. It would still be nice to have a better distance than that, though. All the FD and PD in my town runs off of four repeaters throughout the town, and the EMS is AMR/CMED, which has a repeater out of the city next to me, not sure if I'll pick it up or not, but I'd assume so. Scanner picks it up just fine.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
This is the software that comes with it: Uso del software per programmare le radio Bf-888 Baofeng - YouTube

Video's not in English but it still shows the software.

RonnieUSA - I didn't see that, actually... But, whatever I transmit will be in the area on GMRS non-repeater will be in the area of one square mile, at the most. It would still be nice to have a better distance than that, though. All the FD and PD in my town runs off of four repeaters throughout the town, and the EMS is AMR/CMED, which has a repeater out of the city next to me, not sure if I'll pick it up or not, but I'd assume so. Scanner picks it up just fine.
Here yea go dual band, and cheaper also >> BAOFENG UV 5RA Ham Two Way Radio 136 174 400 480 MHz Dual Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM | eBay

Will do what You want it to.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM

I was considering it, but I want something small and simple, and might need two as well. That's one of the main reasons I looked at the 888S.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
I was considering it, but I want something small and simple, and might need two as well. That's one of the main reasons I looked at the 888S.
Here yea go >> 2X BAOFENG UV 5R Dual Band VHF UHF Two Way Radio Free Earpiece | eBay
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM

I don't know, cheap chinese crap for 90 bucks... And to be completely honest with you, I absolutely have the design and look of it.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
I don't know, cheap chinese crap for 90 bucks... And to be completely honest with you, I absolutely have the design and look of it.
Sorry, what I have found is by the same cheap Chinese link You posted about.
My fault for trying to help, good luck.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Don't take it wrong man, I didn't mean that in a negative way. Of course I appreciate the help, and I know that both are Chinese crap. There's just a good price difference between the two, and I doubt I'll use all of the features on the one you posted, but thanks for the suggestion on it.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Don't take it wrong man, I didn't mean that in a negative way. Of course I appreciate the help, and I know that both are Chinese crap. There's just a good price difference between the two, and I doubt I'll use all of the features on the one you posted, but thanks for the suggestion on it.
I'm not offended, You go from 1 band to 2 bands, that was what I was looking at.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Yes, that's true... But I don't really have much of a need for VHF.

Old 03-03-2013, 6:05 AM

Go here for more info. I have 2 radi0 (uv5r+) they are great. Also free 3rd party programming SW.

baofeng_uv5r : Baofeng UV-5R
Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Baofeng 888-S

I love people that ask for help but then shoot down all the suggestions. Get the ones you want.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
Old 03-03-2013, 7:30 PM

I appreciate the suggestions, but I just don't have a need for the more sophisticated ones people were suggesting, and I personally didn't like the looks of them at all.

I'm just curious about what people think about the 888S, if they're worth buying or not.

Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2013, 8:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Post Re: Baofeng 888-S 16 Channel UHF Tranceiver

I own three of these radios, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Easily programmed via PC, Great audio on Tx/Rx, adequate range, and great battery life.

I use them for 70 cm (440 MHz) Amateur use, and to MONITOR my local public service frequencies, and have no complaints on either !.

I have no trouble hitting ham repeaters 20-30 miles away, and have gotten great audio reports on both local simplex and repeater Amateur use.

In my humble opinion,
this is NOT ..."cheap Chinese crap"... at all, but it is a well functioning radio that is well worth its price !!!

If I had to pick one thing negative to say, it would be the lightweight case, but I have never made it a habit of dropping my radios, so that will not be a problem.

So, I say go for it !!!

de:

Last edited by KC2SUR; 03-03-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2SUR View Post
I own three of these radios, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Easily programmed via PC, Great audio on Tx/Rx, adequate range, and great battery life.

I use them for 70 cm Amateur use, and to monitor my local public service frequencies, and have no complaints on either !.

I have no trouble hitting ham repeaters 20-30 miles away, and have gotten great audio reports .on both simplex and repeater use.

In my humble opinion, this is NOT ..."cheap Chinese crap"... at all, but it is a well functioning radio that is well worth its price !!!

If I had to pick one thing negative to say, it would be the lightweight case, but I have never made it a habit of dropping my radios, so that will not be a problem.

So, I say go for it !!!

de:
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

You're saying the casing/housing of the radio itself is lightweight?

Old 03-03-2013, 9:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're welcome.
Its basically the same non-waterproof plastic case as in your average GMRS/FRS radio.
Just don't expect a heavy/hard case Like on a Vertex, Kenwood or Motorola Commercial Rig.

But Just as long as you don't drop or drown it, it should be fine.

Last edited by KC2SUR; 03-03-2013 at 9:59 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 9:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Baofeng radio

I know this has been said before, but just buying two radios and picking a frequency can cause problems and bring big fines. If you do not have a license for the the frequency and just pick one, you may interfere with medical, fire, or police. Operating on any UHF frequency without a license except FRS is illegal, and even FRS requires a radio that meets FCC certfication
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Correct !!!

I would have thought that there were UHF equivalents to the "MURS" channels,
but upon checking, I see that even the "Color Dot/Star" frequencies require a license !!!

Thanks Jaspence,
I learned a useful tidbit of radio information today !!!

Last edited by KC2SUR; 03-03-2013 at 10:39 PM..