The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (http://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Budget and Entry Level Transceivers (http://forums.radioreference.com/budget-entry-level-transceivers/)
-   -   Do I Need a License for my BaoFeng UV-5R? (http://forums.radioreference.com/budget-entry-level-transceivers/263083-do-i-need-license-my-baofeng-uv-5r.html)

coollearner 03-21-2013 1:00 AM

Do I Need a License for my BaoFeng UV-5R?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a beginner of Ham Radios. Actually I don't know much about it now , but I'm very interested and want to learn more about it. I've just bought BaoFeng UV-5R from radioddity.com. I'm aware that some radios require a license to use with. I wonder if this model needs a license, too. I haven't started to use it yet.

QDP2012 03-21-2013 10:28 AM

Welcome to RR,

Without a license, it is legal to use for receive-only. A license is needed for transmitting. Be careful. Reportedly, that radio is able to also transmit out-of-amateur-bands, for which you will not be licensed, and for which there are penalties.

You can find additional information in these forums by using the search tools and looking for the manufacturer's name or the model number as your search word/words. I learned a lot about this radio by doing this. Some of the technical comments are very informative. General opinions are useful too.

Edit: In case you haven't figured this out yet, license-requirements are based upon the band or frequency you wish to use, not the specific radio model. An amateur radio license is required for transmitting in the amateur bands regardless of equipment used to do so. Similar license requirements exist for business bands, emergency services, GMRS, etc.

Hope this helps,

W9BU 03-21-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QDP2012 (Post 1938198)
A license is needed for transmitting.

To broaden the scope of the answer, a license is required for transmitting in any two-way voice communications service in the U.S. except CB, MURS, and FRS. Have I missed any?

LtDoc 03-21-2013 11:27 AM

Cell phones. You missed cell phones. But then, they aren't really radios, are they?
- 'Doc
;)

WB4CS 03-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coollearner (Post 1938054)
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a beginner of Ham Radios. Actually I don't know much about it now , but I'm very interested and want to learn more about it. I've just bought BaoFeng UV-5R from radioddity.com. I'm aware that some radios require a license to use with. I wonder if this model needs a license, too. I haven't started to use it yet.

Welcome to the forum! As others have said, in order to transmit on the ham radio bands you will need to get an FCC Amateur Radio License. Getting the entry level Technician license is fairly easy. Check out this website for some information on what ham radio is and how to get licensed: What is Ham Radio

Remember, as tempting as it is, don't transmit on the amateur radio bands without first getting your license. Good luck!

rapidcharger 03-21-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9RXR (Post 1938219)
To broaden the scope of the answer, a license is required for transmitting in any two-way voice communications service in the U.S. except CB, MURS, and FRS. Have I missed any?

Seeing as how the OP asked about a uv5r, it's safe to assume they aren't asking about CB and murs and frs require radios that are certified and meet other specifications to be legal, as I'm sure you know.

nd5y 03-21-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtDoc (Post 1938229)
Cell phones. You missed cell phones. But then, they aren't really radios, are they?
- 'Doc
;)

Cellphones aren't unlicensed. They operate on the service provider's license.

Bazel 03-21-2013 3:39 PM

You also don't need a license to broadcast on a marine band if you are in your boat on the water.

k3cfc 03-21-2013 3:49 PM

Are off topic already?

N0IU 03-21-2013 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9RXR (Post 1938219)

Well sort of technically you don't need a separate license to operate an aircraft radio since radio operator's privileges are included in a pilot's license.

nd5y 03-21-2013 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N0IU (Post 1938356)
Well sort of technically you don't need a separate license to operate an aircraft radio since radio operator's privileges are included in a pilot's license.

That isn't true. It has nothing to do with the FAA. Read the FCC Report and Order on elimination of license requirements for ship and aircraft stations.
http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wi...6/fcc96421.txt
Also if you take your boat or aircraft out of the country you still need an operator license.

N0IU 03-21-2013 4:18 PM

I stand corrected... yet again!

UPMan 03-21-2013 4:44 PM

Technically, you need a license for all those services. However, CB, MURS, FRS are all "license by rule." Meaning, you are granted a license as long as you follow the rules. You don't have to submit an application or use a call sign for those services.

To the OP's question, it was answered very well in the first reply post.

rapidcharger 03-21-2013 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPMan (Post 1938376)
Technically, you need a license for all those services. However, CB, MURS, FRS are all "license by rule." Meaning, you are granted a license as long as you follow the rules. You don't have to submit an application or use a call sign for those services.

To the OP's question, it was answered very well in the first reply post.

Oh come on... you didn't think that the question could be answered without side arguments and going off topic, now did you? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazel (Post 1938344)
You also don't need a license to broadcast on a marine band if you are in your boat on the water.

You'll also need a radio certified for part 80

gewecke 03-21-2013 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtDoc (Post 1938229)
- 'Doc
;)

Well ... They transmit right? So technically they are a radio. ;)

n9zas

Ed_Seedhouse 03-21-2013 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazel (Post 1938344)

Not so in Canada. You don't need a separate certificate but you do need a certificate to operate the boat, and you can't operate the radio without the boat.

Bazel 03-22-2013 10:59 AM

The topic here is radio and license and whether a reply is off topic seems to be a very narrow interpretation to some people.
Technically, the radio is section 90 certified, without looking the whole thing up, it may be he can't push the transmitter button at all even with a GMRS license or a marine license. I'm not sure here, but I suspect the fact it does have a transmit button would make it an illegal scanner.

Just the same I find the other posts interesting and educational and they help me to learn what is right and wrong with these radios.

nd5y 03-22-2013 11:05 AM

As far as I know none of the Wouxun, Baofeng, etc. cheap Chinese radios are Part 95 certified so that means there are no frequencies you can legally use them on in the US without some type of FCC license.

whirley1 03-22-2013 1:40 PM

I just talked to the fcc about radios from England and they told me that ALL radios manufactured for use over seas are not fcc legal. These radios operate on slightly different bandwidths then american radios do, so all in all, if the radio comes from england, europe, asia china these are not legal for use in the states.lso that's what the fcc told me less then two weeks ago. so good luck

Fuzy_GSXR1000 03-22-2013 7:15 PM

Welcome to the addiction Cool!!! I tuned around my Kenwood for a week listening only before my license and call sign was in the FCC database. If I can help in any way please ask or PM me. Good start maybe find a local ham radio club in your area,they will help a lot!!