• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT 9000 Mobile (2m, 1/1/4m & 70cm) experiences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I realize TYT-9000 Mobile has been mentioned scattered here amongst the RR forums. However, I am looking for those who have had recent experiences (good or bad) using this radio in the field either for Amateur Radio and / or Commercial – Land Mobile / Public Safety or combination there of:roll:.
Here is a small review by yours truly,

This little TYT-9000 Chinese import mobile radio in all its three (3) flavors (VHF-Hi 130-174 MHz, 210-260 MHz & UHF 430-490 MHz) is an impressive little mobile unit. What’s nice and most importantly, the TYT-9000 mobile is both FCC Type Accepted for Amateur Radio as well as Part 90 Approved (Land Mobile)
For those hams who are on a strict budget or for those of us who also serve, work and or volunteer in various Public Safety and Radio Emergency Services (OEM, EM, EMS, VFD, PD, ARES, RACES, RED CROSS, SALVATION ARMY etc…)You the can have both Amateur and (along with proper authorization from your agency/dept) Commercial/Public Safety frequencies in this same radio!
Unless your department or agency issues you a radio (s), our if your agency has sever budget cuts, these radios are an affordable alternative option (for less than $200 or about $150 - $170) and cheaper if you take the time and search for the best deal on line. Rather than purchasing from a higher priced “Commercial Big Boy Manufacturers” These units may just fit your bill. All the radios are narrow band compliant. In latest firmware versions they have 2.5 Hz step especially on VHF Hi band. The biggest surprise for me is the CTCSS (PL)/DCS options. Not only can you set a different CTCSS (PL) for TX and RX. You can do the same with DCS, i.e. a different DCS each, one for TX and one for RX, also you can also mix the coded squelch formats with RX being CTCSS (PL) and TX being DCS or vise versa
. (With some perhaps older radios, when it came to DCS only one code could be used for TX/RX) This split Coded Squelch feature is more in line with the options the “Big Boy” manufacturers give their customers.

OK, Thanks for reading,
Comments and Experience welcome.

Ken

gunmasternd

You get what you pay for is my impression on those radios. I was going to get one and program all the local analog fm stuff. Heard acouple of hams using them but I doubt anyone else would use them.

If it were me i rather have a kenwood/icom/yeasu at the end of the day.

SCPD

QRT
Gee, with 254 reads so far and only 1 response, either this radio is to new (or perhaps too cheap) or not enough RR amateurs who have had experiences with the TYT 9000.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I've seen a few references to TYT and to JT (Jetstream?) Ham radios here on the forums, but have not seen any of them, nor had any experience with them.

N4KVE

People want to be able to see these things in person before laying out the cash. Radio Mart is a US importer, but do the have a store where people can see & try these unknown radios, or do they only operate by internet sales? At the Orlando Hamfest I saw Wouxun mobile radios being demo'd, where you could see, & try them before purchase. A local store sells the Anytone Dual band mobile, so again, prospective buyers can "touch the radio" before purchase. These TYT radios need to be shown at hamfests, or stores so people can decide if they want them. A photo from a Chinese website isn't good enough.

SCPD

QRT

I just acquired 2 radios new and have programmed them and now am testing them. The eham site has a few positive reviews. So far so good but time will tell.
Again my focus here is to see if any RR hams have had experience in the field with them yet. One can assume many things just by reading the pros and cons. I will post my experiences but was just asking of those who may have had a head start. It don't hurt to ask? So I am asking.

W5KVV

I had one in the 220MHz flavor & it seemed to be a fine radio. I had no issues using the included software to program the radio. Everyone gripes about the build quality, but mine was built fine. No cheaper made than my Kenwood 710. In fact the TYT front panel buttons were tighter than the buttons on my 710.

I originally purchased the rig to try & get other local hams interested in 220, but it failed. Miserably. I ended up selling the radio & an 220 Arrow J pole for more than I had in them. I did NOT sell the radio because it wasn't a good rig, but because other local hams didn't want to use 220mHz.

The TYT9000 is fine in my book. Just a little different than what some folks are use to.

SCPD

QRT

The function buttons and programming on the fly less software is odder and different from similar radios and takes some time to get used to. This could the reason because this radio is being sold to both commercial land mobile and amateur radio markets here in the US and around the globe. Commercial applications you program the radio to what the customer, business or agency would want channel, frequency wise, function buttons, ani and phone dialer and if needed the scrambler (inversion) option. You would set it and then forget it. Sound familiar?
With amateur radio, you want options to set up the radio on the fly, especially if you travel a lot and cover large distances. It can been done but the operator has to become well acquainted with the procedures. I have a Yeasu 8800 dual band and vx9 and programming these radios on they fly could be just as tough. The key here read the book and practice with both software and on the fly programming.

Since I don't travel more than 100 miles in any direction from my home. I'll use the software to program those frequencies in my 100 mile radius. Also one radio is being used for commercial and authorized public safety i.e. emergency management.

I don't know yet to recommend
this radio for full time heavy duty daily use, it seems to be built well. However for me as a volunteer in EM my usage of the radio is occasional until an event in which I am sure it will do fine. Otherwise at this point in time, for heavy duty daily usage, use a "big boy" manufactured radio that's if you can afford it. Again I think this radio is a viable inexpensive option for those of us who are involved with general Public Safety Emergency Services as volunteers and as well as amateur radio. Covered enough here. Thanks again for reading.

N4KVE

Years ago I had an off brand UHF radio. I forget what brand. As a radio, it worked fine, but there were simple functions that irked me. If I was in scan mode, & turned off the radio, when I turned it on again, yup, it was still scanning. I didn't like that, & the major company's radios wouldn't do that. Also, when scanning, & you hit a busy channel & want the scan to stop, I'd quickly click the TX button on the mike, & the radio would tx. On the big brands, the 1st click cancels the scan, & the next click allows you to transmit. While in scan mode, if the repeater dropped, the radio would immediately take off scanning again. The popular radios have a built in delay to hold the freq for a second to wait for a reply.There were many other similar "quirks" but things like this made me sell the radio. Designing a circuit, & building a radio is the easy part. It's programming it to work the way people want that requires experience. These little "quirks" will not come out on an E-ham report until after a few months.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Looking at the software, you can program the scan delay and those features mentioned. As for me I find the scan function distracting and rather leave the radio on one particular frequency especially when mobile. At home or EOC or command post it easier for me to concentrate on multi able and or scanning frequencies.
But this is my preference. To each their own and the best way to use their radio no matter what model.

N4KVE

Looking at the software, you can program the scan delay and those features mentioned. As for me I find the scan function distracting and rather leave the radio on one particular frequency especially when mobile.
This is why I prefer a dual display radio. One side sits on the priority freq, while the other side is scanning but gets muted when the priority freq gets active.

SCPD

QRT

Moon,

We all have our preferences and what works best for our own circumstances. We are sliding off topic and discussing personal preferences in general. To continue here PM me. Thanks Ken

OK any one else with field experience on the TYT 9000 radio?

Thank You all,

SCPD

QRT
To stay on point with the original topic, I'm asking if the 9000 does this.

The radio is a single band and has an led display but its not split.
Here is a link to a web site that has basically the user's man with photos, specs and descriptions:roll:. LINK
"A picture is worth a thousand words"

SCPD

QRT
What's the warranty?
And where do you send it if it needs repairs?

Good point!
It depends on where or what dealer the unit is purchased from. My two radios were obtained from 2 different dealers both offering a 90 day warranty and as for repairs they would handle and ship item back to PRC (China). Remember there are considerations to understand and weigh out before one makes a wise purchase. In this case, at least for my needs I took the risk.
Here is another review to review LINK :cool: OK?

SCPD

QRT
That radio certainly has a healthy heat sink.

If you run the unit on high power 55 watts+ depending on the band flavor, it will get hot, in fact there is a warning stenciled on the sink itself! So mounting it with free air access around it would be best. I plan to run mine with medium power with one of the buttons programmed to kick it up if needed but not constant Hi power. I also have a Motorola GM930i 220MHz manufactured in PRC but use it here for Amateur 220, it too has a hefty heat sink and with 25 watts max it gets hot:roll:!

Status
Not open for further replies.