RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 1:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Baofeng 666s help

I have recently bought some Baofeng 666 radio off ebay for $20. I would like to reprogram them. According to the internet they stated to download the BF-480 software I have done that but I cant get the computer to read the port for the radio.

I'm using windows 7 and using the Baofeng UV-5R cable. Unknown where the drivers are for this model

Any Help will be helpful
Old 05-18-2013, 2:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello

Go to Baofeng UV5R Baofeng UV-5R and look for the drivers for that cable

Ermin
Old 05-19-2013, 4:10 PM

I'd just like to add... couldn't the Chinese have used ANY other different number for their radio??? You've got to admit it's kind of funny.

But seriously though, I wouldn't use any other program than CHIRP for programming radios. It's the best out there. You need to make sure that you download the appropriate drivers for your radio or else your computer won't be able to read/write on your radio. Have you done that? Also, sometimes I've noticed that with those programming cables, it may seem that it's plugged into the radio when in reality it's not. Make sure you push really hard on the connectors to make sure they are in. I've encountered a lot of frustration with programming my radios because of that.
Old 05-21-2013, 1:07 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Folks, I just deleted five posts that had nothing to do with amateur radio equipment. If you have constructive comments about programming this radio, feel free to post here. If you want to talk religion or numerology, please take it to the Tavern section.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you for sweeping up W9BU.

For my USB cable that I connect to my UV-5R Baofeng, I use the Prolific Driver version 3.2.0.0 dated 7/31/2007. The Windows driver won't get it done. The link Ermin provided above is where to go. On the actual port settings I think I left it at the default, but I use the following:
Bits per second - 57600
Data bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop bits - 1
Flow control - none

Pay attention to what port it uses, probably the same as you have now once you change the driver. Also I use CHIRP myself. That software is fantastic as it makes it easy to enter in freq's, or even import them using the software. You can easily import various repeaters as well and choose to skip over freq's when doing a scan.
Sponsored links