• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Noob question Baofeng UV-5r

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebster60

Hi
I am a total noob to this radio and radio's in general.
I am using this radio for my airsoft team, I have managed to program the freq we use into the radio. My problem is with the A/B monitoring, I do not need to use vhf just uhf so mu radio reads as this.

A CH-001
B 136.025

The trouble is that every time it receives on B, I can not transmit on A unless I change it back manually.
The radio is in a pouch on the back of my rig, and I would like to set it to just work on my teams channel.

Sorry if this sounds all muddled, I have no tech insight to explain it better.

Any help would be grately appreciated please.

Regards.
Dave.

nd5y

I'm not that familiar with those but there should be a way to turn one display off.
If not then just set the bottom display to the same thing as the top one.
You can probably find out how at miklor.com

Last edited:

quadracer1014

Go into the programming software. Under Edit click optional features.

Check the TDR box. Then select A band under the transmit under TDR star option.

rebster60

136.025 is in the aeronautical frequency range. And if transmitting on this frequency, even in FM mode, could be causing interference to aircraft.

Thanks for that Info, I did not know that. But that is exactly why I want to lock the rest of the radio out. I am only wanting to use the the radio on the freq's we use for airsofting which are uhf.

CapStar362

let alone claim to have PAID for a frequency that has been in use for decades now by the FAA.

rebster i dont think you understand what robert is explaining to you. 136.025 is used by aircraft, has been for a long time , and probably never will cease to. how did you "Pay" to use that frequency.....?

IIRC - UHF, VHF, FM....( Someone help me out here ) whatever your transmitting on your going to cause interference on 136.025 to any aircraft within ( whatever the range is of said radio unit ). which is not a very good idea

Last edited:

rebster60

Hi capstar.
Thank you for your reply.
I would just like to clear one thing up first.
I did not say that we have paid to use freq 136.025.

The freq that we have paid to use is in the 449. Range.
I agree with you people should research more, but if you don't know anything about it, and it is not stated when you buy the radio. And the advert for it does not mention any thing about it ?

So my question now is, that are you saying that if I am using our paid for 449 range freq, every time I rx I am txing on 136.025 also ?

Regards.
Dave.

rebster60

I will find out exactly what we have paid for and let you know.

I believe that the licence we have is a business radio simple UK. (maybe this makes it a bit clearer ?)

However could you shed some light on the other part of my last post ?

If I am txing on 449. AM I still interfereing with 136.025

Many thanks
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth_vader

"It is illegal in most countries to transmit on the Airband frequencies without a suitable licence, although an individual license may not be required, for instance in the US where aircraft stations are 'licenced by rule'." (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airband )

I still wouldn't suggest doing it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I didn't know they sold licenses in the ham band. Generally that is as hams are secondary users but I have not looked at FCC. So do they sell 449 repeater input frequencies? This is getting really strange. I'm starting to suspect a troll.

The user may not be in the USA, so this band may be for other services where he lives.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hi kevinc
Correct, I am not in the USA, I'm in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I do a Google search on "136.025 and CHIRP" I get numerous hits. You might try that yourself and see if any of the results help you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, let's stop playing radio police and try to help the fellow out.

Suggesting he use a service such as GMRS or FRS which probably doesn't exist in his country doesn't help much.

Rebster60, you might want to set your location in your profile so people can tell where you're from. Might have headed off some of the responses you received.

Thanks.

rebster60

Gentlemen, let's stop playing radio police and try to help the fellow out.

Suggesting he use a service such as GMRS or FRS which probably doesn't exist in his country doesn't help much.

Rebster60, you might want to set your location in your profile so people can tell where you're from. Might have headed off some of the responses you received.

Thanks.
Updated. Yes I should have done that when I registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.