RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 4:44 PM

Default Baofeng UV-5R

i just received a Baofeng UV-5R radio and trying to figure it out, i was given some frequencies for repeaters here in the area and wanted to know if any one know how to program them. the radio dealer said they could program them for a small fee but the guy that does it is out on vacation till after the new year, they said i could program them on my own but im not sure how?
I have an input frequency and an output frequency was told its a 600 khz offset and requires ctcss and given a 103.5 hz code. I dont understand any of this can any one help me?
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can program them from the keypad, but it's a major pain. Look into CHiRP: Home - CHIRP

Baofeng also has software, but I never got it to work right.
Old 12-12-2013, 7:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Based on the info you provided about the repeater (The offset being 600 kHz) it sounds like you're trying to program in an Amateur Radio repeater. Please be sure you're licensed to use whatever frequency you're trying to use, if you plan on transmitting with the radio.

(Your post didn't say what frequency you're trying to program in, or if you have an FCC license, so I'm going ahead and throwing that information out there.)
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM

im not sure if its amateur or not, i pay the radio dealer to use their repeaters, i may just have to wait till the programming guy gets back. im trying to replace a broken radio.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clo1 View Post
im not sure if its amateur or not, i pay the radio dealer to use their repeaters, i may just have to wait till the programming guy gets back. im trying to replace a broken radio.
Okay, gotcha That wouldn't be amateur radio then, would probably be business band radio.

If you know the repeater's output and input frequency, and the correct PL tone, you should be able to manually program it in to the radio. There's several step-by-step guides online (including this forum) that can help you accomplish that. If you purchased a programming cable for your radio, you can use the software Chirp to easily program the radio from a computer.

If you read the step-by-step instructions and get lost, you may want to wait until the programmer can do it for you. When it comes to programming radios, if you're not sure what you're doing, you could end up transmitting on the wrong frequency and causing interference to other licensed users. On the other hand, if you're willing to learn and interested in learning, there's a lot of good material online (including the wiki here at Radio Reference) that can help you understand how radios and repeaters work.

Good luck!
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM

thank you for your reply i believe they said they are business band, i do want to learn to program the radios the cant be to much different then programming scanners, just some extra steps im sure. I have some business band radios now that are programmed and we are using but when i program the frequenicies into the UV5R it will receive fine but when i try to transmit with it the current radios get no audio only the led stating that its receiving so i must be doing something wrong.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

follow this link and you will have the instructions neede to program the radio by hand
Old 12-12-2013, 1:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Using radios should be no different than learning the functions in a new vehicle. RTFM first, or the links provided. Learn what frequency you can legally transmit on and how to program it from RTFM. If for business use, and using software, you still need to know what the terminology of what the settings mean. It is like knowing the difference between a vehicle accelerator pedal and the brake.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM

This is a nice clear video: How to program Baofeng UV5R without usb cable - YouTube
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2013, 7:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

chirp..... what zip code can i use to get data from NYC, Bx, Qn, Bklyn, SI.... Does ANYONE KNOW