RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 8:48 PM

Default Baofeng UV-82, squelch tail

I've got a UV-82 and I keep getting a nasty squelch tail when I monitor a local public safety frequency. Their transmissions come through just fine but I get a pretty loud burst of static immediately after their transmission ends. What can I do to eliminate this? I've tried various STE and squelch settings but nothing seems to help. It also does it on ham frequencies but not quite as bad. None of my other "cheap" radios seem to do this.

It's a great little radio other than this flaw.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Static ?

Are you sure that what you are hearing is "static"?
On "my" local public safety system, there is a burst of data
after each transmission, which is the ID of the radio . . .

Don
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 AM

It's definitely static. It actually comes right after the burst of data at the end of a transmission.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM

try playing with the settings in the OPTIONAL FEATURE list under WORK BAND.

I'm not sure what these do but TAIL NOISE CLEAR, PASS REPEAT NOISE are 2 menu items that may affect the squelch tail.

I f none of those settings work then try a higher level for the squelch settings default value of 3.

Last edited by mm; 02-06-2014 at 12:58 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 AM

That didn't seem to change anything. Setting the squelch to 5 didn't change anything either.

I'll keep fiddling with the settings and see if I can figure it out.
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2014, 4:30 PM

I also have the UV- 82 and this SAME exact problem I talked to a friend of mine and he said exactly what K8ZGW said. I tried changing the frequency and even resetting the radio all together but still nothing! I've had it for less than a week and this kind of upsets me. I love the economical feel of it and that it has a little more of a tough build to it that the UV-5R, but still the whole static problem is a real bummer. Get back to me at my email if you find a way to get rid of this please!!
SchneiderPenryn@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2014, 1:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your radio has a function labeled STE (Squelch Tail Eliminate) which is an on/off switch.
Old 09-28-2014, 9:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

STE on Baofeng radios is not compatible with normal industry standard CTCSS reverse burst.

Enabling STE on Baofeng and Wouxun (maybe other Chinese radios) causes the radio to send a 55 Hz tone for about 250 mS (1/4 second) when the radio unkeys. When the receiver detects a 55 Hz tone it mutes. the STE menu setting has no effect on the receiver. It responds to the 55 Hz tone all the time unless DCS decode is enabled.

On the UV-5R menus 36 RP-STE and 37 RPT-RL are non functional. I don't know if they are on the UV-82.

DCS squelch tail elimination on Baofeng and Wouxun is the same standard 134.4 Hz DCS turnoff code as used by other manufacturers and and should be compatible, but on my radios DCS STE doesn't always mute properly.

Last edited by nd5y; 09-28-2014 at 9:49 AM..