• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Noob programming question of UV-5RA

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet01

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, i am fairly new to this and i am really excited to join the hobby. I figure i start with the basic Baofeng UV-5RA. Now here is my question. I downloaded the frequencies into my radio using Chirp and a RadioReference db (i have premium). So i know that offset for frequencies are set automatically however it seems that when i transmit no one can hear me on any of the programmed frequencies that i tried.

Does it mean i am far from the repeater? Or do i have to also program the input frequency as well separately? I also read that a tone needs to be transmitted sometimes in order for the repeater to activate.. (holding ptt + band button.. which i also tried and that didn't work)

Thank you so much for your help and giving the nudge in the right direction

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what hobby you are talking about. If ham, than posting your desired frequencies and what area you live in would make it easier for someone to help you. This would also apply to non ham repeaters. So more information is really required. Plus, there are numerous postings on this thread on problems with programming CCR. So look through those threads.

SCPD

QRT
Yes we need more information. Please let us know the exacts before pressing the PTT button since you are not sure. There are issues like the previous OP said about programming these radios with any automatic settings in the radio or software. We are willing to help as much as possible but as said more information like frequencies and area are needed.

MDMassey

This radio for some odd reason makes you save both the XM and RX freqs with you manually changing the offset for use in channel mode. When you are using frequency mode you simply need to put the shift and offset and key away the radio will automaticly make the adjustment.

I have not tried my radio with programing software yet, as I am having a minor temp issue with it when connected to my computer. I found that this radio is not really all that hard to program using the key pad. There are quite a few YouTube vids out there that show you how to do it.

For me to hit my local repeaters successfully I just push the PTT for about one second or so and if I get the repeater it will reply to me with it's name.

Make sure you have the PL set up correctly, you need to set it the same on R-CTCSS and T-CTCSS (menu 11 and 13).

Dom

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, i am fairly new to this and i am really excited to join the hobby. I figure i start with the basic Baofeng UV-5RA. Now here is my question. I downloaded the frequencies into my radio using Chirp and a RadioReference db (i have premium). So i know that offset for frequencies are set automatically however it seems that when i transmit no one can hear me on any of the programmed frequencies that i tried.

Does it mean i am far from the repeater? Or do i have to also program the input frequency as well separately? I also read that a tone needs to be transmitted sometimes in order for the repeater to activate.. (holding ptt + band button.. which i also tried and that didn't work)

Thank you so much for your help and giving the nudge in the right direction

Don't count on the Offset being correct. You should double check it. There currently is a problem between CHIRP and RepeatBook with UHF offsets. Instead of +5.00000 MHz, they are imported as +1.600000 MHz so them must be manually edited in CHIRP. CHIRP and RadioReference could have a similar issue.

In addition to being within range of the repeater, you must also transmit the matching CTCSS tone or DCS code if the repeater requires one for access.

The repeater also has to be on-the-air. Just because it is listed in RadioReference doesn't mean it is actually available.

Beginners should never program a receive CTCSS tone or DCS code. If you do it wrong, you will never hear anything. OFF will always work.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.