• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Same CHIRP IMG file to Multiple Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDof2

Before I go break something.....

Am I safe to grab (create) an image file from one of my BaoFeng BF-F8+ radios, modify it (input my list of freqs, settings, etc.) and then send that image file to the rest of the radios I have (which a couple have diff. firmware versions)
Safe to do?

Or, do I need to create an image file from each radio, modify each image, and send it back to the exact radio it came from, radio1/image1, radio2/image2, radio3/image3, etc.

Thanks-

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Download an image from each radio, them import your channel settings from your "preferred" setup into each radio specific image. Then you don't have to worry about firmware being different.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It is OK to write one image to multiple same-model radios if they have the same firmware version. Cross-pollenating img files to different models or firmware versions can brick the radio, at least temporarily.

If you use a cloning cable from radio to radio, only channel data is transferred, and radio settings are not disturbed. You can cross most firmware versions without issues, but crossing models can cause problems.

I have BF-F8+ radios with 3 different firmware versions, and if I write to one radio from the computer (using a radio with the same firmware as the img file), I can copy the settings from that radio to all of the others with the clone cable with no issues. But if I try to write all the radios straight from the computer, I get errors when programming radios with different firmware versions.

I also have a BF-F8HP. If I try to clone it from a BF-F8+, all of the channels programmed as low-power on the -F8+ get set to medium power in the -F8HP, because the -F8+ has 2 power settings, and the -F8HP has 3.

MDof2

Thank you kind Sir.
I was hoping to not have to maintain a separate image file for each, but it looks like I may need to do so with at least a couple based on your experience with the same radio.
I don't have a clone cable for radio to radio, just the USB cable for use with CHIRP.

Again, I appreciate the info from your hands on experience.

MDof2

Updating this thread, it looks like I have a couple of BF-F8+ radios with firmware version BFS311 and a couple more with BFS313. (per CHIRP)
Miklor doesn't note the differences in those two versions other than "Unknown"
Baofeng Information Site, Pofung UV5R UVB5, UV82, Ham Radio

That being said, I've created two images with the respective settings (which from CHIRP, they look identical)

If I learn anything from tinkering I'll share what i find out.
Perhaps this information may be of help to someone else.

Cheers-

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Before I go break something.....

Am I safe to grab (create) an image file from one of my BaoFeng BF-F8+ radios, modify it (input my list of freqs, settings, etc.) and then send that image file to the rest of the radios I have (which a couple have diff. firmware versions)
Safe to do?

Or, do I need to create an image file from each radio, modify each image, and send it back to the exact radio it came from, radio1/image1, radio2/image2, radio3/image3, etc.

Thanks-

The best way to do this is to save a "master" .img file with the channels the way you want them. Then you can download from the target radio to create a tab that is compatible with it. Now import the "master" .img file into this tab by selecting File->Import and then setting the mask to "Chirp radio images (*.img)". At the "Import From File" dialog you still have a chance to disable and/or renumber the channels before you import them. Once they are imported you can then Upload the tab back into the radio.

This only imports the channels. You will still have to maintain the settings separately but normally once those are set the way you like them, they won't change anyway.

This will even work across radio types (UV-82, BF-F8HP, even the UV-B5) and even radio brands. For example I have imported my UV-5R master file into my Wouxun KG-UV6D and my Icom IC-Q7a for testing purposes.

Jim KC9HI

MDof2

Hmmmm... thanks Jim. God info.
I'll have to try that.

I'm less concerned about memory channels than settings and such. I've found that cut/paste from the "master" tab of my channels isn't too difficult. Not *exactly* what I wanted with the same radio, but not terrible considering once set up, changes will be somewhat infrequent.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm... thanks Jim. God info.
I'll have to try that.

I'm less concerned about memory channels than settings and such. I've found that cut/paste from the "master" tab of my channels isn't too difficult. Not *exactly* what I wanted with the same radio, but not terrible considering once set up, changes will be somewhat infrequent.

To me getting the settings the same are pretty easy. First I load the .img files from both radios. Then I set them both to the same settings menu. Then all I have to do is toggle back and fourth between the two tabs. It is then real quick easy to spot any differences. Just run through each settings menu until you have them all matched up.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.