• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone AT-3318UV-E Mini Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I talked a friend into buying two of these tri-band handhelds because of the advertised FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) feature, which turned out to be more of a random frequency trunking feature and probably a misunderstanding of the FHSS term by the Chinese manufacturer.

The radios were purchased from the exclusive US importer "Import Communications", who notified all buyers about the mistake with the FHSS option and offered a refund if so desired.

So here I sat with my friends two otherwise good looking and great sounding 2m, 220MHZ and 440MHz plus part 90 certified handhelds, just wanting someone to adopt them. After reading up on the manual, perusing the extensive programming software and living with these handhelds for a week I decided I can't live without it and and purchased one from my buddy who originally bought the pair.

These radios cover 136 to 174, 220 to 225 and 400 to 520MHz transmit and receive plus .52 to 30MHz AM HF (10KHz steps), 64 to 108MHz WBFM, 118 to 136MHz AM and 225 to about 260MHz FM receive only. The radio works surprisingly well in the AM broadcast and HF SW bands with an appropriate antenna and I did not detect any overload problems feeding it with a large G5RV type HF antenna.

The radios also have a very extensive menu system unlike any Baofeng or Wouxun I have used and I love the various banks I can assign to memory channels and scan only specific banks if I want or I can scan the entire memory. There is also a quick talk around feature for your programmed repeater frequencies and all sorts of other nifty features that I don't find on other Chinese brands.

The transmit and receive audio are extremely good and better than most handhelds I own including many Motorola, Yaesu, Icom and the like. The receive audio is almost Hi-Fi and people who I know personally come out of the speaker sounding much more like themselves than any other handheld radio I have used in recent times. I also get great unsolicited transmit audio reports.

The radio is also very small compared to say a Wouxun KG-UV3 type or KG-UV8D, which I had just purchased and sold after playing with the Anytone. The cross band repeat works fantastic and much better than the Wouxun KG-UV8D. So far battery life is very good from the stock 1800mah pack and I can't say enough good things about this very modestly priced handheld, its just a winner all around, despite the FHSS mistake. I think the closest competitor to the Anytone AT-3318UV-E model is probably the Kenwood TF6a, which runs about $190 more and is not FCC Part 90 compliant, although its HF receive is SSB capable. The TH6a is also a design from 10+ years ago.

Ed at import Communications is also a great guy to buy from and will take care of you and your purchase, although he does wholesale to other US dealers who basically sell for the same price. I think the closest competitor to the Anytone AT-3318UV-E model is probably the Kenwood TF6a, which runs about $190 more and is not FCC Part 90 compliant, although its HF receive is SSB capable.
prcguy

Last edited:

prcguy

AM only, no SSB and it seems to only tune in 10KHz increments missing frequencies ending in .005 but that may be a setup problem on my end. Actual SW reception was very good with a big antenna and I was picking up lots of SW stations, WWV and some amateur stuff on 3,850 AM. I'll test SW again tonight with a 30' chunk of wire for an antenna.

When using the AM/FM broadcast or SW feature, if you receive a call on whatever two way frequency is being monitored the broadcast band will temoprarily mute during the call then pop back in about 5 seconds later. You can listen to music or local news and not miss a radio call.

I forgot to mention the performance being much better than Baofeng and Wouxun radios I've tested. I live in a very RF rich environment and was testing radios at a local park on a large hill about a half mile from a major repeater site. At the time I had a Baofeng UV-5R and Wouxun UV8 plus a Yaesu VX-8R and FT-60.

While listening to some simplex activity on 146.52 I noticed both Yaesu radios were hearing lots of things the Baofeng was not. Some of the signals that were almost full quieting on both Yaesu radios just did not exist on the Baofeng UV-5R. I was also playing with the cross band repeat on the new Wouxun KG-UV8D and noticed it was not repeating things that I could hear clearly on the input frequency on the Yaesu radios.

I repeated the same tests with the new Anytone AT-3318UV-E and its on par with the Yaesu radios and could hear every weak signal the Yaesu's could in the heavy RF environment. The Anytone also repeated weak signals very well under the same conditions.

I'm not knocking the inexpensive Baofeng radios, for the price they great little radios and they measure very sensitive on a service monitor. Put them in a busy RF environment and their shortcomings will show up. The Wouxun KG-UV8D is also a really nice radio and quite a leap from the first Wouxuns I played with. But the Anytone is better and smaller.

Playing with the AT-3318UV-E menus its also apparent that Anytone engineers are familiar with how American commercial and amateur users interface with two way radio equipment. Other Chinese brands have odd features and will not do many things that radio people are used to and expect.
prcguy

Jaxco;2****12 said:
How is the shortwave reception? Did it demodulate SSB?

prcguy

I have not looked inside but externally its built similar to some Icom and low end Motorola handhelds I've had. Its got rounded corners, the keypad buttons do not stick way out like on some radios and they have a very nice tactile feel.The knobs are positioned well to avoid breaking off if the radio is dropped on its top with the antenna attached. Its also got a cast metal frame inside and the stock antenna looks and works very well on 2m, 220 and 440 amateur.
prcguy

How is the build quality of the radios?

prcguy

I have not heard any PL tones from the speaker. Not sure of the frequency response and I could test the unsquelched hiss with a reference mic and audio spectrum analyzer, but not today. The receive audio is hard to describe but compared to most radios its surprisingly good and very articulate. I don't get the feeling its peaking at any portion of the audio spectrum or rolling off where it shouldn't for human voice.

As I mentioned before, people who's voices I know sound more like themselves coming out of this radio than any other handheld I can think of. You can detect more little nuances in the voices on the Anytone.

Its hard to beat the receive audio from a Motorola Saber, or XTS series, but when you pay attention to that sound its very processed to cut through noise, etc. The Anytone is more natural and pleasant sounding but it also cranks up plenty loud.
prcguy

Can you hear PL tones? Does it appear that the audio bandwidth is greater than 300-3000 Hz?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm pretty much in agreement with prcguy. The -E is an excellent radio and worth the price, regardless of the not-FHSS snafu. Audio quality is great, repeat works well, sensitivity and selectivity are both good. It's definitely in a different class than the Baofengs, but it's also in a different price category.

The only bad thing about them is the programming software. It has no import/export capability, no cut/paste function, and if you change freq range parameters (like to limit tx to ham bands), it helpfully erases everything, even if what you programmed is within the range you selected. Monkeys could do better.

Last edited:

jk77

That's really too bad about the software. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work on Linux and Chirp won't work for these radios. That right there is a deal breaker for me as I no longer have access to a Windows machine (only use Linux).

I really wanted to get the "D" version, but I will probably spend the money on a Yaesu FT-60R which sells for the same price, or I will just wait until these radios are supported by Chirp or some other Linux program.

prcguy

I think the software works fine and its always best to save your work in any software in case some function erases your work. The radio has a LOT of features and things you can customize so the software has more menu items than other Chinese radios.
prcguy

That's really too bad about the software. As far as I can tell, it doesn't work on Linux and Chirp won't work for these radios. That right there is a deal breaker for me as I no longer have access to a Windows machine (only use Linux).

I really wanted to get the "D" version, but I will probably spend the money on a Yaesu FT-60R which sells for the same price, or I will just wait until these radios are supported by Chirp or some other Linux program.

jk77

The software might be good, even perfect, but if it doesn't work under Linux or Mac OS, it is cutting out a substantial portion of potential buyers. I wonder if it works under Wine. Anyway, that's not important to the discussion. I just wanted to note that the software is available only for Windows.

Other than cross-band repeat, the pseudo spread sprectrum, and some reception on bands under 108 Mhz, what have you found that sets these radios apart from the Yaesue FT-60R for ham use? I'd like to see a comparison to the FT-60R because they are in the same general price range.

prcguy

I think Mac and Linux users are a tiny portion of the population who would be programming these radios. Very few vendors offer radio programming software for anything other than DOS or Windows.

Ever seen Motorola, Yaesu, Kenwood or other professional radio software in anything but DOS or Windows? I am a huge Mac fan but run Parallels and Windows 7 in my Mac for those programs that are not available in Mac OS. BTW, my Macbook Pro is the fastest Windows machine I've ever used.
prcguy

The software might be good, even perfect, but if it doesn't work under Linux or Mac OS, it is cutting out a substantial portion of potential buyers. I wonder if it works under Wine. Anyway, that's not important to the discussion. I just wanted to note that the software is available only for Windows.

Other than cross-band repeat, the pseudo spread sprectrum, and some reception on bands under 108 Mhz, what have you found that sets these radios apart from the Yaesue FT-60R for ham use? I'd like to see a comparison to the FT-60R because they are in the same general price range.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Is it a pain to program manually like most of the other Chinese brands?

Thinking about getting one, but ease of (manual) programming will be a huge determining factor.

Thanks.

:)

prcguy

I would say its involved simply due to the large amount of features the radio has and you need to make sure the channel you program is going to do what you expect. You really need to read and understand the manual before programming the radio, even with software but in the end you'll be rewarded with features that do not exist in other Chinese radios.

I'm having a good time with the memory banks and being able to monitor or work a specific channel on one side of the radio while the other scans a specific bank or group of frequencies simultaneously. I think its best to program everything possible with software and you still have the ability to add a channel in memory or in VFO mode while on the fly.
prcguy

Is it a pain to program manually like most of the other Chinese brands?

Thinking about getting one, but ease of (manual) programming will be a huge determining factor.

Thanks.

:)

SCPD

QRT
Cb? even if it did,do you know any handheld cb's that transmit far? probably not.
Why bother?
It does AM,FM shortwave,ham,GMRS,FRS and MURS ,what else could you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.