• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MT-777

Status
Not open for further replies.

jere9

Hi guys, I've just started working for a new company. We are in the pleasure cruise business and we want to purchase the MT-777 transceiver (it may also be known as the PX-777 in the US). I know almost nothing about radio transceivers, and I need to find out a few things about them:

Are these transceivers available around the world or just in the US?

If I would go to a shop in Europe (but it can be anywhere around the world, really), and buy the MT-777, would the default frequencies be the same as in US(or as in Africa)?

How do such things usually work with popular transceivers around the world? Does each country have it's own set of frequencies per transceiver?

What are the default frequencies of this transceiver?

If we want to operate this transceiver, do we need a license of any sort?

If there is a better forum here for these type of questions, please let me know and I'll try to move the post there.
thanks
Jeremy

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Budget and Entry Level Transceivers.

I'm pretty sure that's not a Motorola product but somebody rebadging a Puxing radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If I would go to a shop in Europe (but it can be anywhere around the world, really), and buy the MT-777, would the default frequencies be the same as in US(or as in Africa)?

The default frequencies are irrelevant; the odds you can legally use them (particularly without a license) are pretty much zero.

Does each country have it's own set of frequencies per transceiver?

Yes. Not per radio, but business and marine frequency allocations vary by country and ITU region.

If we want to operate this transceiver, do we need a license of any sort?

Yes. Your best bet is to consult with someone with expertise in international business radio licensing. I'm not sure you could use marine VHF channels legally for your business, and if not, you'd need to have licensed freqs that would probably be different for each port you visit.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi guys, I've just started working for a new company. We are in the pleasure cruise business and we want to purchase the MT-777 transceiver (it may also be known as the PX-777 in the US). I know almost nothing about radio transceivers, and I need to find out a few things about them:
Low end radio, and I doubt they are really Motorola's.
You can/should do better than those.

There are dedicated UHF marine frequencies designated for shipboard use. You'll need appropriate radios. The low end consumer grade radio you listed wouldn't last long in commercial use, and it may not have the correct certifications to be used here.
You really should consult with a real (brick and mortar) radio shop that understands this sort of stuff. Purchasing low end radios off the internet and asking for advice on a hobbyist website isn't the way to do it.Proper frequencies need to be programmed into them. Licenses need to be secured, and most of all, you need suitable radios.

If you are purchasing radios just based off the cost, you will be disappointed….

jere9

Thread moved to Budget and Entry Level Transceivers.

I'm pretty sure that's not a Motorola product but somebody rebadging a Puxing radio.

thanks for the quick response!
I looked at target and it's really not in there, But if you check other sites like ebay or thecordless.com you can see it's a motorola product(or at least it is shown as one).
Do you know where can I get Information on the default frequencies of this transciever, or on whether it is avaliabe around the world?

jere9

The default frequencies are irrelevant; the odds you can legally use them (particularly without a license) are pretty much zero.

Yes. Not per radio, but business and marine frequency allocations vary by country and ITU region.

Yes. Your best bet is to consult with someone with expertise in international business radio licensing. I'm not sure you could use marine VHF channels legally for your business, and if not, you'd need to have licensed freqs that would probably be different for each port you visit.

Oh. Well, this is important. Do you know anyone with such expertise?

And although I can see why the frequencies are irrelevant, I'm still interested because I want to understand these things a little bit better.
I mean- if the frequencies you can use vary from state to state, do the shops sell the transceivers with the legal frequencies already in place? or does the shop sell every transceiver with it's default frequencies? (which are the same for all the transceivers of that model)

jere9

Low end radio, and I doubt they are really Motorola's.
You can/should do better than those.

There are dedicated UHF marine frequencies designated for shipboard use. You'll need appropriate radios. The low end consumer grade radio you listed wouldn't last long in commercial use, and it may not have the correct certifications to be used here.
You really should consult with a real (brick and mortar) radio shop that understands this sort of stuff. Purchasing low end radios off the internet and asking for advice on a hobbyist website isn't the way to do it.Proper frequencies need to be programmed into them. Licenses need to be secured, and most of all, you need suitable radios.

If you are purchasing radios just based off the cost, you will be disappointed….

Now I see that I really need to find an expert to talk to about this. Do you know anyone willing to talk via email?

And since this is a hobbyist website, I feel more comfortable to ask silly questions like the ones I've asked jonwienke :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You really need to find a shop, or someone with specific experience, in your location. Laws regarding radio use vary from country to country, and you need to know specifically what is allowed in your area.

Most commercial radios come with no programming. It's up to the shop/technician to set them up to work within the users license. Buying random radios online and hoping they will work legally where you are is likely going to end in disappointment.

Frequencies are assigned for specific uses and specific users, often on a geographical basis. Picking random frequencies, or using what might be default in a radio like this can really put you afoul of the law. Transmitting where you are not supposed to could easily interfere with licensed public safety communications, and that can put peoples lives at risk. Causing interference to licensed users will often result in the agency responsible for radio communications in your country to investigate. Here in the U.S.A., fines for operating without a license can easily run $10,000 or more, although it's pretty common to get a very stern warning first.

Depending on your EXACT location and what your use is, there are specific rules that need to be followed and (probably) licenses that would need to be obtained.

You can always post questions here, but you'll need to give us more specifics:
-Country of use
-Intended use
-What your budget is
-What your expectations are.

jere9

What I need is a very basic low budget transceiver, for communication between several ships within a medium distance. I only expect it to function at sea, and not find myself without a functioning transceiver while sailing. That's pretty much it.

I think I'll try to find a shop that has someone who knows about marine frequencies and licensing around the mediterranean, and also someone with an expertise in international business radio licensing.
Anyway, thank you guys :)

P.S. - I am still wondering about how these things go with popular transceivers (default frequencies etc). If someone can enlighten me that would be great, or if someone can recommend a source of information, that would also be helpful.

paulears

There are two issues. Between ships is worrying. I assumed you meant within one ship! This brings in loads of issues to the problem. Can you expand on distance requirements. I can't imagine two ships at sea close enough for it to work?

Once at sea, territorial law ceases at a certain distance, so once you get twelve miles out, the countries law that perhaps band a certain frequency ends, and maritime international law is what is left. This give the Master of the vessel powers, but also means that you get additional restrictions. Maritime radio licenses are available for ships and vessels of all sizes, but the Captain is in control. For instance, a radio ham can operate on board doing radio ham stuff, but the Master of the vessel must give permission. They may well allow your radios to be used, but it's up to them, on a whim, if they like you! Most larger ships have dozens of radio users, and to keep things working interference free, the radios use coordinated, not random frequencies. In the UK you can get marine licenses to use within the uk on UHF frequencies, mainly for port operations. I doubt a shop will have the information you require. I'd talk to the radio officer on board, who is usually the Master's representative in all things RF. Standing on the rail of a ship, expect a hand portable radio to be able to contact another on a ship you can see, with the other party on its open deck. Move inside and it will be gone. 5W radios have problems within the vessel. Reception can be rather random. A repeater with aerial amidships up top helps. Keep in mind that unauthorised radio use offshore is also within the Master's control.

I spent some time on a cruise ship recently, and we did take a few comms radios and some radio microphone systems. We were not on for long enough to do it properly, and nobody bothered whatsoever. The radios were on UK channel 38 which is UK specific and we weren't in the UK. The radios were on one of the U.K. Channels. They were interference free. This doesn't mean doing what we did was ok. For our short contract, not an issue, we would have said sorry and pleaded ignorance, but for something longer, it's up to you. There is no common international frequency that is safe, but if you buy these radios, get the software and reprogramme as necessary?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I approved your post, but the OP hasn't been back in just about 1 year so I doubt he/she will see your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.