• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is My Baofeng UV-5R Defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connect

Tried searching the net for this and couldn't find anything.

1) I just bought a Baofeng UV-5R V2+
At a very basic level, I put in one channel, NOAA. When you turn the radio on, the station comes in very nicely.
But when I switch to FM radio, which also comes in fine, and then back to the NOAA station, it's silent.
Only turning the radio off and back on again brings the channel back ok to hear the forecast.

Also when I had a 2nd frequency in the radio, a local PD frequency, and I would switch from NOAA to that one and back to NOAA, same issue.

Looking in the annotated manual, troubleshooting, green light on but no audio, it mentioned turning off CTCSS and DCS which I did but same issue.

I'm really hoping it's just some setting I'm overlooking so I don't have to be bothered with sending the radio back. Most likely it's probably just a setting.

2) Also, about Tone and DTCS in CHIRP, why can't you set them to zero? The lowest is 88.5 for tone and 023 for DTCS.
Are they ignored if you don't have the corresponding mode set in Tone Mode?

Thanks for your help.

nd5y

2) Also, about Tone and DTCS in CHIRP, why can't you set them to zero? The lowest is 88.5 for tone and 023 for DTCS.

Yes, those are default settings and are ignored if no tone mode is selected. You can check Hide unused fields in the View menu to get rid of them. I think the default should be an empty space or 0. I don't know why the developers did it that way, it is one of the few things I don't like about CHIRP.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

At a very basic level, I put in one channel, NOAA. When you turn the radio on, the station comes in very nicely.
But when I switch to FM radio, which also comes in fine, and then back to the NOAA station, it's silent.
Only turning the radio off and back on again brings the channel back ok to hear the forecast.

Also when I had a 2nd frequency in the radio, a local PD frequency, and I would switch from NOAA to that one and back to NOAA, same issue.

Looking in the annotated manual, troubleshooting, green light on but no audio, it mentioned turning off CTCSS and DCS which I did but same issue.

I'm really hoping it's just some setting I'm overlooking so I don't have to be bothered with sending the radio back. Most likely it's probably just a setting.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds to me like you have one of the early radios with N5R firmware that contains the BEEP Bug. If this is the issue, setting menu 8 (BEEP) to ON and leaving it that way is the only solution.

Jim KC9HI

Connect

Thanks guys for the helpful replies.

I just turned the beep back on but when I do that I can't select FM using the Call button. It just briefly flashes it but goes back to NOAA (in this case) once the button is let go of.
Besides, that would be incredibly annoying having to put up with the beep. But it's not working in this case anyways.

Er, I really dread having to ship this back.

Connect

Quick update:
I may have it figured out (or a workaround).
Not sure if this is normal or not but when I switch to a non-broadcasting station using the A/B button, I can then press the Call button for FM, the station comes in, and when I press the Call button again, I get back to the non-broadcasting station, then using the A/B button, go back to NOAA and the broadcast comes back just fine.

Unfortunately it looks like I do have the BEEP bug.
The working setup above works fine with beep on. But when I turn it off, no broadcast from NOAA when switching back to it from FM radio, even with the little workaround I found.

I searched the Amazon reviews for this radio for the word "beep" and found:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SSLUOVA2UYAS/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_2

He had the same issue.
But I'm not quite understanding his workaround!
We know the firmware can't be flashed in these radios yet he was able to get it working with the beep off in the same radio that had that issue. Is it just a matter of getting a hold of a better image file and uploading that to the radio?
If so, I wonder if I could find one here from a user.

Really nowhere else to find help with this. Just trying to avoid having to send the radio back if not actually needed.
Thanks again.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for your help.

These radios are designed to monitor the memory channel or VFO frequency that the radio was tuned to when the unit was switched to commercial FM mode. If a signal is received, the radio switches back to 2-way radio mode so you can hear the traffic. Once the signal goes away, and an amount of time passes equal to the ABR setting, the unit will switch back to broadcast FM mode.

Because you were trying to invoke broadcast FM mode on a channel that was already receiving a signal, the radio has no choice to immediately switch back to 2-way radio mode. If you want to listen to broadcast FM without any interruptions, then you must tune to a frequency that is not likely to receive any signals. You could program a channel just for this purpose and use a CTCSS tone or DCS code to make it even harder to pick up a signal.

But is sounds like you need to keep BEEP=ON or your receive will be

Jim KC9HI

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Quick update:
I may have it figured out (or a workaround).
Not sure if this is normal or not but when I switch to a non-broadcasting station using the A/B button, I can then press the Call button for FM, the station comes in, and when I press the Call button again, I get back to the non-broadcasting station, then using the A/B button, go back to NOAA and the broadcast comes back just fine.

Unfortunately it looks like I do have the BEEP bug.
The working setup above works fine with beep on. But when I turn it off, no broadcast from NOAA when switching back to it from FM radio, even with the little workaround I found.

I searched the Amazon reviews for this radio for the word "beep" and found:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SSLUOVA2UYAS/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_2

He had the same issue.
But I'm not quite understanding his workaround!
We know the firmware can't be flashed in these radios yet he was able to get it working with the beep off in the same radio that had that issue. Is it just a matter of getting a hold of a better image file and uploading that to the radio?
If so, I wonder if I could find one here from a user.

Really nowhere else to find help with this. Just trying to avoid having to send the radio back if not actually needed.
Thanks again.

I would love to get copies of both of those CHIRP .img files ("Radio 1.img" and "Radio 2.img"). Comparing them could be most useful.

Jim KC9HI

Connect

Thanks again for the great info.
And I did confirm in CHIRP that I have the bug firmware version.

Also found in the annotated manual on page 9:
"Broadcast FM will be interrupted by a signal received on the active VFO or MR.
If you don't want broadcast FM to be interrupted, tune to an little used frequency or channel"

Makes sense and is totally fine for me.
But I'm not sure I can deal with the beep, especially when quieter applications are required.
I suppose I could use a headset then, but it's still an extra annoyance.

More internet searching and I found:

https://hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/uv-5rs-latest-bug-listen-to-the-beep/
The latest UV-5R bug pointed out by John K3NXU involves muted RX audio when the keyboard beep is switched off. Personally I find keyboard beeps very annoying, and always switch it off. No new model for me, that’s for sure…
It’s a bit of a silly bug, created by a sloppy programmer, and never caught by other Baofeng employees responsible for intercepting these things – if such employees actually exist. Let’s face it: the UV-5R is a dirt cheap product, having competent QA personnel on the payroll might not be feasible.
If you can’t live with the bug, the only thing you can do is send it back or wait for a new version to come to market.

Amazon.com: Mark Davis' review of Baofeng UV5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band...
N5R Issue Recovery

Not sure if there is, or will ever be a workaround. So now it's just debating if I'm up for the hassle of returning the unit. I really like the radio and would request another but what's not to say the same firmware arrives in the replacement unit? Most likely.
Maybe just keep the unit or return it and buy at a later date when some other model comes out or the Amazon seller clearly states the units have newer firmware.
By the way, there were some negative reviews for the Fostex seller in TX offering very poor CS so I can't depend on that.

In regards to the reviewer from the first link in the previous post claiming they found a workaround, I wonder if it really worked. If so then it can't really be the firmware as I thought the firmware can't be flashed. I wish that reviewer was here at RadioReference in order to ask them.

Ok just wanted to add some more info here for most likely some other people will come across this thread having the same bug.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Connect, I sent you a PM. I wrote the Amazon Review subject of your post. PM includes my telephone number. ~ Mark Davis

Thanks Mark. I had forgotten that we already discussed this and traded .img file. Thanks for reminding me.

Jim KC9HI

Connect

Wow. Nice to have that Amazon reviewer here to clear things up. Surprised you saw this.
Thanks Mark.
PM sent.

I'm trying to avoid returning the radio. CS is poor and I'd most likely receive a radio with the same N5R-20 (140525N) firmware.

KC9HI, did you two discuss in a thread or was it over the phone? If a thread, do you remember what it might have been titled more or less?
I'd like to try that .img file you mentioned. The stock one I saved from my radio and the recovery one at miklor still do not help.

It's great the help here at RR. Tons of threads so it's nice to see this one paid mind to.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Wow. Nice to have that Amazon reviewer here to clear things up. Surprised you saw this.
Thanks Mark.
PM sent.

I'm trying to avoid returning the radio. CS is poor and I'd most likely receive a radio with the same N5R-20 (140525N) firmware.

KC9HI, did you two discuss in a thread or was it over the phone? If a thread, do you remember what it might have been titled more or less?
I'd like to try that .img file you mentioned. The stock one I saved from my radio and the recovery one at miklor still do not help.

It's great the help here at RR. Tons of threads so it's nice to see this one paid mind to.

Let's discuss this off-list. Email me at: uv5r [at] kc9hi [dot] net

Jim KC9HI

Connect

Thanks again guys. I just reached out to both of you.
We'll see what happens from here. I'll post any updates.

Connect

Just an update.
I got the radio to work as normal with the beep off!
I'll make a separate thread detailing how.
But I just discovered Bug Part 2. :(
When I turn the voice prompts off, I have the same original issue.
How frustrating. While not as annoying as the beeps, I still find the voice prompts annoying.
I'm waiting to hear from Mark to see if he has the success with also the voice prompts off. If so, there is hope.
Otherwise the radio may be going back.

I wonder who really uses the voice prompts? I guess some do.

I'll be sure to post any updates.

Connect

Thanks Mark for this confirmation!
Great! So there IS hope that I can still get this working ok.
Either my radio has some other issue or yes, I'm just setting something wrong or navigating wrong.
I wasn't scanning. Just added the one NOAA channel to test and I manually change from the first station in the default img file to NOAA, back to a blank station, then to FM, back to blank station and then back to NOAA.
With the recent work around, having the beep off, and the default - voice prompts on, all those steps worked just fine. But as soon as I turn off the prompts, and do those same navigation steps, going back to NOAA is just blank.
Then when I turn the voice prompts back on and do the steps again, NOAA comes in just fine.
It's annoying.

I'll be spending time now trying to figure this out, with the help now knowing that it IS possible to have both the beep and voice off and still have the stations come in, but right after I'll be sure to make that other thread detailing how to work around the BEEP bug.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.