RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 2:01 AM

Default Any Baofeng or Woxun UHF Radios certified for Part 90?

Hey all -

I remember seeing in a couple threads somewhere that Baofeng and Woxun UHF Radios are FCC certified in Part 90 but not 95A. I tried searching the OET certification database to identify what models may be certified for Part 90, but my results are Null (None identified). I'm entering each of the names under Applicant and Part 90 in the search criteria.

Are there really Baofeng and/or Woxun Radios that are FCC certified for Part 90? If so, can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong in my search parameters?

Thanks - Randy Knowles KAA 8142
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2015, 2:31 AM

You need to locate the grantee code and search for that in the FCC OET database.

Here is a URL that walks you right through the search - complete with the grantee codes for many of the Chinese manufacturers:
FCC Part 90 Compliance - Miklor
Old 03-21-2015, 8:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Which search page are you using?
Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm
Enter the FCC Grantee code only (first 3 or 5 digits of FCC ID. ZP5 for Baofeng, WVT for Wouxun)
Go down to Rule Parts (up to three):, select 90 in the dropdown box, make sure Exact Match is NOT checked.
That will show everthing that is part 90 certified for that manufacturer's grantee code.

Last edited by nd5y; 03-21-2015 at 8:22 AM..
Old 03-21-2015, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyKnowles View Post
Hey all -

I remember seeing in a couple threads somewhere that Baofeng and Woxun UHF Radios are FCC certified in Part 90 but not 95A. I tried searching the OET certification database to identify what models may be certified for Part 90, but my results are Null (None identified). I'm entering each of the names under Applicant and Part 90 in the search criteria.

Are there really Baofeng and/or Woxun Radios that are FCC certified for Part 90? If so, can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong in my search parameters?

Thanks - Randy Knowles KAA 8142
The problem is, even if there are part 90 grants, they usually contain erroneous power levels and emission types. There are some that appear to be correct. If I'm not mistaken, there was a Puxing that had one. But I didn't read all of the conditions and limitations for the grant. So read the fine print when you find one.

Also note that if it has a VFO and it has a grant for part 90 and any measures made to make it front panel programmable, it loses that certification.

And 3rd and final warning is even if these radios have a legitimate certification for part 90, it is not advisable to use them in mission critical and heavy industrial applications.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all your answers guys.

I seached at this location:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm

And yes, I did select Part 90 and did not check exact match. However I just used the name rather than the grantee code. That worked for several other offshore manufacturers, such as Icom and Tait.

When I redid the search this morning for Baofeng I got 15 records, not sure what I mesed up before, duh. I am aware of the prohibition on front panel programming.

It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?

It used to be that UHF land mobile equipment routinely included Part 95A along with Part 90 in FCC type acceptances. Apparently that has changed. I'm interested in identifying radios that have been certified for Part 90 that meet the Part 95A technical specs in SubPart E, but are not certified for GMRS. That is an issue that I think needs to be addressed with a Rule change or Waiver or something at the Commission. I'm also going to check with one or two manufacturers about possible Permissive Change to existing Part 90 certifications to add Part 95A. I've seen one such example in the OET database.

Again, thanks all for responding. Randy Knowles, KAA 8142.
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM

Haven't sold a lot, but have sold several and never had ANY of them come back for repair aside from antennas and batteries (disposable items).

Isn't there a GMRS rule that says any radio that is Part 90 certified is certified for GMRS by rule.
Old 03-21-2015, 1:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?
You can't because differnet models can have the same FCC ID(s) even if they are sold as another manufacturer's product. The FCC doesn't track model numbers.
Old 03-21-2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?)))
The documentation shows all specific model numbers and brand names the product will be marketed as but you might have to fish through them to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Isn't there a GMRS rule that says any radio that is Part 90 certified is certified for GMRS by rule.
Definitely not.
You might be thinking of the grandfather clause in the murs. 95.1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
The FCC doesn't track model numbers.
They don't? Sure looks like they do to me. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.
Old 03-21-2015, 2:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
They don't? Sure looks like they do to me. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.
Unless a manufacturer uses their model number in the product code part of the FCC ID there is no way that I know of to tell what model it is for. Model numbers are not listed on the authorization grant.

If you look up ZP5BF-5R for example you can't tell if it is for a UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5R V2+, or any of the other models numbers with different colors or case designs that use the same board.
Old 03-21-2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
Definitely not.
You might be thinking of the grandfather clause in the murs. 95.1317
Not thinking of MURS, as my experience predates MURS by at least a couple decades.

But, that's why I asked that as a question, and not a statement. I thought there was such a rule, but perhaps not.
Old 03-21-2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Unless a manufacturer uses their model number in the product code part of the FCC ID there is no way that I know of to tell what model it is for. Model numbers are not listed on the authorization grant.

If you look up ZP5BF-5R for example you can't tell if it is for a UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5R V2+, or any of the other models numbers with different colors or case designs that use the same board.
Oh I see what you're saying.
Well the application specifies the model(s) but the grant, strangely does not. You're right.
Old 03-21-2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Not thinking of MURS, as my experience predates MURS by at least a couple decades.

But, that's why I asked that as a question, and not a statement. I thought there was such a rule, but perhaps not.
Gotcha. Well that may have been the case at one time but I think they changed the rules shortly after the pleistocene epoch.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:11 PM

Good one.

But, perhaps in the 90s they changed it.
Old 03-22-2015, 1:12 AM

Baofeng UV-82C is part 90 certified.
Old 03-22-2015, 2:51 AM

Voyager -

I am not familiar with any Rule that ever existed that specified automatic Part 95A certification for Part 90 accepted equipment. In years gone by virtually ALL Part 90 Type Acceptaed UHF equipment also specified Part 95.

I remember way back in the 70's or early 80's there was a provision for individuals to request INDIVIDUAL Type Acceptance with their Class A (GMRS) application. It was my understanding that the FCC at that time granted such INDIVIDUAL TYPE ACCEPTANCES (specific to that license and specified radio) where a general Part 90 Type Acceptance already existed. I have no idea if such an INDIVIDUAL CERTIFICATION still exists today. I suspect that a Rule Wavier would be required. (See FCC DA 15-332 for an example of a Rule Waiver.)

Randy Knowles, KAA 8142
Old 03-22-2015, 3:46 AM

Quote:
In years gone by virtually ALL Part 90 Type Acceptaed UHF equipment also specified Part 95.
Maybe that's where it came from, then. Anything good on Part 90 was likely also accepted for Part 95. Regardless, it's not that way now.