RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post
Thank you. What is the latency on these radios in digital mode?
Is it 0 when in analog mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Latency is similar to a digital cell phone. Somewhere between 150-250ms from the rime you say something untill you hear it come out from another radio.
Old 03-09-2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_account View Post
The Delay in Digi comes from the Digi Protokoll. The need first send some Data to signalise other Radio/ Repeater that you send something.
The delay in audio is from going from A->D in the transmitter and from D->A in the receiver. I imagine there is a slight delay added at the repeater when FEC is applied to the incoming signal. Regardless, even when operating simplex there is still a delay in the audio
Old 03-09-2017, 1:46 PM

When operating digital, the radios send a 'wake-up/sync burst to the repeater, the repeater replys to the radio, then the radio starts sending voice. Usually the delay is short. Unless you are on the fringe and it takes more than one packet to wake the repeater.
Old 03-09-2017, 1:47 PM

There is a delay with digital even when not using a repeater.
Old 03-09-2017, 4:33 PM

yes because the radio is send some prefix who need some ms.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
Latency is similar to a digital cell phone. Somewhere between 150-250ms from the rime you say something untill you hear it come out from another radio.
If it's as low as 150-250ms that's pretty good. My DTR radios have latencies over 1 sec.
Old 03-09-2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
If it's as low as 150-250ms that's pretty good. My DTR radios have latencies over 1 sec.

If using a DMR radio on a duplex frequency pair(Receive and Transmit frequencies) the radio will send a series of packets(My CS-700 transmits 4 times in about 2 seconds and then give a 'bonk' until you release the PTT if there is not a repeater in range) to sync time slots. If there is a DMR repeater with in range, it will reply, in between sync packets from the subscriber, to sync up.

Once sync'd, the radio will transmit and start sending voice data.

I would guess on a repeater, from PTT to hearing voice, needing only 1 sync transmission, would be around 400ms. Anything longer would be caused by the repeater not hearing the subscriber transmit its first sync packet.

If using a DMR radio on a simplex frequency(Receive and Transmit frequencies are the same) the radio will just blindly transmit(At least my CS-700 does).
Old 03-10-2017, 3:23 PM

Thank you for your replies. I wouldn't be using this radio with repeaters. Just looking at inexpensive delay-free radios with private/group calling features, and this one seemed interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-10-2017, 3:38 PM

There is no delay-free digital radio. It's an unavoidable side effect of processing speech into packets of data, transmitting the packets, and decoding the packets back into audio.

You'll only notice it if you're close enough to hear the other radio's speaker.
Old 03-10-2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
There is no delay-free digital radio. It's an unavoidable side effect of processing speech into packets of data, transmitting the packets, and decoding the packets back into audio.

You'll only notice it if you're close enough to hear the other radio's speaker.
Thank you. I'm quite aware of this, that's why I'm interested to know if the analog mode on this radio is delay-free, and if so, what features still work in that mode, if any.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

There should be NO delay on analog channels. And, other than basic features such as scan, most of the 'special features' are available with digital operation only.

John AC4JK
Old 03-13-2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm quite aware of this, that's why I'm interested to know if the analog mode on this radio is delay-free, and if so, what features still work in that mode, if any.
All radios have some delay. With analog FM, the delay is too small to perceive.

Other than scanning and PL tones, none of the digital features work in analog mode, like talkgroups, radio-to-radio calls, remote monitor, emergency mode, GPS locating, etc.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I picked up a couple of these radios, and while there's no noticeable delay on normal channels, when using scan there is a delay on the first PTT. I've started another thread to ask about this.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Good morning, I have an MD-380 with firmware D003.032. I noticed that in simplex when I loose the PTT the radio stays in standbay a few seconds and is something really uncomfortable, similar to the TX preamble but at the end of the transmission. Can I correct this?. THX and sorry to my english.
Old 08-11-2017, 3:21 PM

Default -380 Frequency range

The software contains three options for range, the standard VHF, 409-480 and 450-520. If you have a 400-480 radio can you simply select the 450-520 and program frequencies accordingly? Some Chinese radios allow this. Much thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2017, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2001 View Post
The software contains three options for range, the standard VHF, 409-480 and 450-520. If you have a 400-480 radio can you simply select the 450-520 and program frequencies accordingly? Some Chinese radios allow this. Much thanks in advance.
Have you had any reception, when programming frequencies about 480 MHz? I tried creating a codeplug with frequencies above 480, but cannot receive anything. I have it near my scanner, to verify that I should be hearing something, but no luck. Just curious.

I forgot to mention that the codeplug that I created has a combination of channels above and below 480 MHz. I am receiving the ones below 480 MHz, but above is deaf.

Last edited by rgchristy; 08-12-2017 at 8:30 AM.. Reason: Added additional text
Old 08-12-2017, 9:44 AM

You have to select the software option that matches your radio. The different ranges are hardware, not software settings.
Old 08-12-2017, 3:07 PM

I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it works. I have worked out how to program out of band. I have been able to enter RX freq upto 498.000mhz.
Change this in the setup.ini

Original value is

freq2=[400-480MHz]
data2=00400048

Change to the following
freq2=[400-520MHz]
data2=00400052

The last two numbers determines the frequency.

You can then enter any freq from the keypad you like upto around 498.

My radio works really well.

The only problem is that when you program your radio using the software it will only only you to enter VHF 136 - 174.

If you ever want to go back to original just change the values in the setup.ini back to original

Tags
cs750, dmr, md-380, md380, trbo, tyt, tytera