• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Q about Baofeng and chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofasurfer

I have Baofeng uv5r and CHIRP. After programming channels with CHIRP I opened the radio menu and looked ate the settings for one of the channels. It appears that the settings programmed with CHIRP do not appears in the menu of the radio. Am I correct? I wanted to verify my CHIRP settings by opening the radio menu.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Radio channels should show what CHIRP programmed. Are you sure the CHIRP channel programming was successful? You can verify by saving your CHIRP config, opening a blank CHIRP config, and importing radio settings/channels into CHIRP.

sofasurfer

I programmed (with CHIRP), 3 repeaters frequencies with tones of 100, 107.2 and 88.5 hz. I loaded it into the radio and saved a copy on my pc. I then checked each frequency in the radio and looked ate the tones (T-CTCS) and they all were set to 100.0. I then reopened CHIRP and downloaded the file from the radio and the tones were set at 100, 107.2 and 88.5 hz.
I may go bisit the local club people tomorrow to see if I am sending and recieving. Until then I can only search google to see if things are right or wrong as they are.
Thanks. I will let you know.

Last edited:

77Impala

Have you tried to talk to the repeaters with the unit? How far from the repeaters are you? Also what antenna are you using?

If you only are listening unit then you don't generally need the PL codes programmed in.

My UV5R cannot hit the repeaters that are 9.2 miles from me with the rubber ducky antenna from inside my home but works fine with a external J-Pole antenna.

k6cpo

I had the same issues with my UV-5R until another owner told me CHIRP doesn't overwrite programming that may already exist in the radio. When you program it, you first have to delete any programming that might already be in the radio.

sofasurfer

Ok, heres what I did today.

I reset all radio memories so there is nothing programmed.

I programmed this into memory location #1...
Freq=146.780
Tone=151.4
Duplex(split?)="-"
Offset=000.600

I then programmed this into memory location #9...
Freq=442.350
Tone=107.2
Duplex="+"
Offset=005.000

Now, when I goto #1 I see...
Freq=146.780
Tone=107.2
Duplex="-"
Offset=000.000

And #9 shows...
Freq=442.350
Tone=107.2
Duplex="+"
Offset=000.500

So, the first frequency entered is having its settings altered by the second frequencies settings and the offset is deleted.

O,o!!! What to do? Am I doing something wrong...Obviously.

Last edited:

nd5y

How old is the radio and what firmware version is it?
Are you using the latest daily build of CHIRP?

When programming from the keypad did you delete the memory first?
On some firmware versions you have to use the A (top) display for programming.
On most firmware versions you CANNOT store the repeater shift and offset from the VFO to a memory using the keypad. You have to store the transmit and receive frequencies separately. Did you try that?
In CHIRP did you try setting Duplex to split and program the transmit frequency in the Offset column?

sofasurfer

I think I am making progress. I programmed 1 repeater and tested it. Got my first 2 contacts and success. Then I put in a second repeater and it seems to be working on both of them now. I'll keep working my way up.

sofasurfer

How old is the radio and what firmware version is it?....Its not the newest. It can not to updated

Are you using the latest daily build of CHIRP?....Not sure yet

When programming from the keypad did you delete the memory first?....Yes

On some firmware versions you have to use the A (top) display for programming....I know

On most firmware versions you CANNOT store the repeater shift and offset from the VFO to a memory using the keypad....After I store the info for more repeaters the pl settings are still correct but the offset and shift are wrong or gone. Still seems to be in there somewhere though.

You have to store the transmit and receive frequencies separately. Did you try that?....Read about that but my attempt at it was less than good.

In CHIRP did you try setting Duplex to split and program the transmit frequency in the Offset column?....More studying to do.

I am making some progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.