• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problem programing Baofeng UV-5RE Plus w/ CHIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasabi4ever

Hello forum,

I'm new to the ham radio community and this is my first post and first question, hopefully someone can help with my issue.
I purchased a pair of Baofeng UV-5RE Plus online and they both came pre-programmed with a bunch of channels. I added a few more of my own and tested them out.
After a few weeks I decided to reset the radio using the function 40 RESET ALL.
After resetting it I can no longer program in certain frequency range using CHIRP, I'm getting an error "frequency xxx.xxxxxx is out of supported range" but program manually on the radio by keying it in is fine.
The weird thing was these were the same frequencies that I had on the radio prior to the reset and I was able to use CHIRP to program them in just fine before.
Prior to the reset I also downloaded and saved the image of the radio but after I reset it I cannot upload it back into the radio, I'm getting an error "image not supported by radio".

Have anyone came across this issue before and please advise me on how to fix it.

Thank you in advance.

miserytom

I just got the same radio from amazon , using chirp no problems at all , maybe it because of the reset and now you need a firmware update?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

wasabi4ever

I just got the same radio from amazon , using chirp no problems at all , maybe it because of the reset and now you need a firmware update?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
That's what I thought and I did tried to reinstall the firmware. I check the firmware version on my radios and download the exact one but it won't let me install it. I got an error message saying it's not compatible.
It was working fine before the reset.

Please help.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

wasabi4ever

This is my theory after doing some reading.
So apparently the range for the Baofeng UV5R are from 136-174Mhz and 400-520Mhz but maybe when it came from factory, the seller or the manufacturer hacked it to trick CHIRP to think it was a different model of radio so CHIRP allows me to program in any frequency range. However, after the reset it put the radio back to factory setting so now CHIRP recognize that it is a UV5R and preventing me from program it outside of those factory ranges. Though the device itself is still being capable to program beyond those ranges but CHIRP won't allows it.

The weird thing is I don't understand why it won't allow me to upload the firmware to the radio again.

bkspear

wasabi4ever,
what was the fix you found? I have the same issue with my Baofeng!! Thanks.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
This is my theory after doing some reading.
So apparently the range for the Baofeng UV5R are from 136-174Mhz and 400-520Mhz but maybe when it came from factory, the seller or the manufacturer hacked it to trick CHIRP to think it was a different model of radio so CHIRP allows me to program in any frequency range. However, after the reset it put the radio back to factory setting so now CHIRP recognize that it is a UV5R and preventing me from program it outside of those factory ranges. Though the device itself is still being capable to program beyond those ranges but CHIRP won't allows it.

The weird thing is I don't understand why it won't allow me to upload the firmware to the radio again.

The byte that CHIRP checks to determine if you have a VHF/UHF radio or VHF/220 radio got changed. Now CHIRP thinks you have an VHF/220 radio and won't let you upload an image into it that came from a VHF/UHF radio.

One method for restoring it is to use the "Recovery using the Factory Software" at the bottom of this page:

UV5R F8HP Recovery Baofeng Pofung UV5R

Jim KC9HI

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Man, someone asks for help

in solving a problem, many come to suggest what may work; then the OP says he found a fix and doesn't state what it is. A post right after his last, asked WHAT was the fix, and the OP ignored and went on about his merry ol' life! I was interested in what his fix may have been, and I'm sure others also!

WyoDuner

in solving a problem, many come to suggest what may work; then the OP says he found a fix and doesn't state what it is. A post right after his last, asked WHAT was the fix, and the OP ignored and went on about his merry ol' life! I was interested in what his fix may have been, and I'm sure others also!

Yep - I agree. I hate when people do that. Or you go out of your way to help somebody and never get so much as a thanks.

Just how it is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.