• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng uv5re tx power mod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miserytom

I have a baofeng uv5re HT and love it so far , I'm going to be getting an extended battery and larger antenna with 10 watt rating , anyone know of a way to get more than 5 watt tx on this radio ?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have a baofeng uv5re HT and love it so far , I'm going to be getting an extended battery and larger antenna with 10 watt rating , anyone know of a way to get more than 5 watt tx on this radio ?

Unless you plan on making that radio put out 25W or more you are wasting your time trying to get more power out. You will gain more with a better antenna than trying to put more power out.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
My advice, don't even think about it any more. Just because the antenna is rated for 10 watts doesn't mean you have to put 10 watts into it. The radio isn't designed to transmit that much power and will lead to premature failure of the components. The advantage is so negligible that the risk far outweighs it.

cmdrwill

For a hand held radio the transmitter power IS limited by FCC regulations. This is part of the certification of a radio.

IIRC, 6 watts for VHF, 4 watts for UHF 400-512, and 3 watts 700-950.

And John IS correct, the antenna is the most important part of the system.

Even some antennas are way over rated, be very wary of the so-called gain values.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
For a hand held radio the transmitter power IS limited by FCC regulations. This is part of the certification of a radio.

IIRC, 6 watts for VHF, 4 watts for UHF 400-512, and 3 watts 700-950.

And John IS correct, the antenna is the most important part of the system.

Even some antennas are way over rated, be very wary of the so-called gain values.

I believe it's 6-VHF, 5-UHF and 3 for 700-950. My issued XTS2500 is set for 5 watts on UHF, and the radio guy is a stickler for rules, so that's what I'm basing it on.

Lawman51

If you are listening from the house and just wanted something with a little more gain to pick up more distant stations you could build a homebrew vertical dipole, or a dual band J pole for around a $50 investment to build the two. That does not include the transmission line or something to get it up off the ground so it is really worth while, but it is possible to do I have both and they help quite a bit when on the HT. I am able to hit a repeater that is 19 air miles from my house, but I am up on a slight hill with direct line of sight to the repeater. I have a 28' painters pole I use to get mine up in the air and the bonus is that it is portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.