RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 1:58 PM

Default BAOFENG UV-82 will not channel scan

I recently purchased the baofeng uv-82 radio/scanner. I only want to use the device to receive local police/fire, I do not want to transmit at all. I figured out how to program my channels in but when in channel mode they will not scan, I can flip through them manually. After some trial and error I found that if I do the programing steps when in channel mode the channels programed in channel mode will scan but will only just scan the channels that I programed while I was in channel mode. so I tried programing 10 channels in channel mode, all were frequency 136.025 and all will scan. went to frequency mode and programed the frequency I wanted on one of the channels I programed in channel mode. go back to channel mode and will scan only 9 of the 10 channels, the one I programed will not scan. I can manually go to the channel I want but it will not go to it in scan mode.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2017, 6:08 PM

Hi there,

By far the easiest solution to this is to get a programming cable from eBay/Amazon, and use the free CHIRP software to program up your channels. If you do this, there's a scan column where you can say whether to include or skip each channel in the scan. (It's also possible to set the channels to receive-only, by setting the offset direction column to "off").

I don't fully understand your post - unless you're just copying an existing channel, it's not possible to program in channel mode - you need to be in frequency mode to enter the frequency!

If you haven't already, then take a look at Miklor.com's UV82 Pages - should tell you everything you need to know about programming them.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 PM

I guess that is what I am doing, if I copy the 136.025 while in channel mode it will scan every channel that I set it to.

Let's just say I set 136.025 to channels 1 thru 10 and hit scan, it will scan all 10 channels. Now if I go ahead and program 154.220 ( local end/fire dispatch ) to channel 11 in frequency mode and return to channel mode.

In channel mode I can use the arrow keys to go from 1 to 11. The first 10 are 136.025 and 11 is 154.220. So I hit scan, scans 1 thru 10, skips 11.

So I then copy 154.200 into the number 10 location, reboot and retry. Now it will scan 1 thru 9, skips 10 and 11. The station I programmed when in frequency mode. Seems as though there is some type of setting I have wrong that will not allow my programmed stations to go onto the scan list.

I do agree that a programming cable would be the best way to do, only reason I do not have one is because I do not have a PC or laptop. Thank you for your quick response, also I did check out the Miklor.com pages, they did help me to figure some info out. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 2:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

You might have the SKIP menu setting set differently on the 154.220 channel. On earlier models, the SKIP setting was only available with software... not sure about the UV-82 (?).

John
Old 01-11-2017, 8:30 PM

I do not see a skip setting anywhere in the menu

Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2017, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The channel skip flag for an individual channel doesn't show up in the menu. The only place you can really tell if a channel is skipped is looking at the radio programming in CHIRP or the factory software, which is crap.

Buy a programming cable (one with an FTDI chip, not a fake Prolific) and download CHIRP, or you will be doomed to perpetual disappointment in this matter.
Old 01-15-2017, 9:43 PM

Thanks for your replies, I got the programming cable and download the chirp software. All the channels I had programmed had the skip option on. Tired them all off a download data to my up-82. Works great now. Scans all channels as it should.