RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 7:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I doubt that the radio is actually TXing on a VHF frequency. When you do that sort of mod you can anter any frequency from 0-999MHz, but in most cases the actual TX freq is either a multiple or a fraction of the displayed freq, or else it does nothing.

Freq Expansion - Miklor
Old 09-16-2017, 7:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If that guy's not blowing smoke, do like he says. Download the software and program your frequencies. If that solves your problem, go for it.

I guess is possible that the Chinese designed the electronics for both, intending to use the same innards on another radio that's marketed as VHF only. I don't know.
Old 09-16-2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant888 View Post
How do you explain this video then?
The VHF sensitivity is probably horrible. But whatever turns your crank...
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 PM

Well, his works for some reason, mine doesn't...
Is it because he's using Windows 10, and I'm using 8?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 3:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant888 View Post
How do you explain this video then?
For starters, you can't believe everything you see on the internet. There are plenty of Youtube videos that purport to prove that the earth is flat. Go read the Miklor article I linked. The Baofeng frequency expansion mods have the following problems:

1. RX sensitivity outside the designed freq range is terrible.

2. Out-of-range TX power is generally zero, or at best far less than what it is in the designed frequency range.

3. RX and TX freqs may not be the scame, because

4. the RX freq may be an image, fraction, or multiple of the nominal RX freq.

5. You have no guarantees that TX deviation or spectral purity meet any sort of standards, even the low ones used by Baofeng for transmitters operating as designed.

Quote:
Well, his works for some reason, mine doesn't...
Is it because he's using Windows 10, and I'm using 8
No, it's because the video is a bunch of hooey. The fact that the guy in the video was purportedly RXing a NOAA channel means nothing, because NOAA transmitters are hundreds of watts and RXing a nearby NOAA transmitter can pretty much be done with a crystal radio and a paper clip. You're not going to get VHF performance anything close to UHF performance from a modded UHF radio. Which is what most people's definition of "worked" would be.

You need to quit wasting your time trying to teach a pig to sing, and go get a radio that is actually designed to do what you want. A UV-5R is less than $25 if you're on a budget.
Old 09-17-2017, 9:02 AM

I suspect that we may well be being played here - all the questions asked can easily be Googled, yet the OP cannot google the facts on this radio, yet comes up with a very individual video supposedly proven g it can be done. two and two added together makes me very dubious somebody with claimed zero skill level can then attempt to convince us. It's a pocket money radio, and why would anyone even want to do it in the first place?
Old 09-19-2017, 4:10 PM

I actually did not know all the info. I received my uv-6. It works how I wanted it to work.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk