• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Baofeng UV-5R Was:New to Ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benoit55

I've been trying to self teach myself on a Baofeng UV-5R so I will try my best to describe my issue. I also apologize if I have the wrong forum room.

Trying to catch my local FM mode on my police frequency Im not successful. Only successful on FMN. Im putting it on frequency step 12.5k adding the tone to my frequency 146.2 as listed and leaving it on wide band. Still not successful. Any help would be appreciated.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This is probably the right forum but I fail to see anything to do with ham radio.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

FKimble

You don't need tone to listen. If you use wrong type tone, decode vs encode, you could be blocking the signal if the repeater is not sending out the tone. Turn off the tone and give it a try.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Trying to catch my local FM mode on my police frequency Im not successful. Only successful on FMN. Im putting it on frequency step 12.5k adding the tone to my frequency 146.2 as listed and leaving it on wide band. Still not successful. Any help would be appreciated.

Your local police frequency is 146.2 Mhz ?

That's an amateur frequency. Do they monitor that frequency like some departments monitor CB channel 9? Do some local cops have their ham license?

ChrisABQ

I would program it with Chirp software, it works great and will protect you from breaking the law. Set Duplex to off so you don't transmit on the police frequencies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have a license and I'm unable to work this radio. Lol

You don't mention what type of license you have. I will assume Amateur Radio. In that case, see if some local amateur radio operators can help you. In answering your first question, if you are only listening, you probably do not need to have a PL tone. This is one reason the CCR are poor starter radios. They transmit on every frequency in them, which a lot of new users do not understand that they shouldn't just because they can.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

Ziggy925

I use a UV-5R to monitor local police. No special settings needed, just punch in the frequency you want to monitor and you should be good. You don't need a tone or another frequency in the setting. You also want to be sure you do not send on this frequency (police), or any frequency if you don't have an FCC license. You can listen all you want without a license. As others have said Chirp is probably the easiest way to program your Baofeng, but you should punch in a frequency and make sure that works before programming it in with CHIRP.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I use a UV-5R to monitor local police. No special settings needed, just punch in the frequency you want to monitor and you should be good. You don't need a tone or another frequency in the setting. You also want to be sure you do not send on this frequency (police), or any frequency if you don't have an FCC license. You can listen all you want without a license. As others have said Chirp is probably the easiest way to program your Baofeng, but you should punch in a frequency and make sure that works before programming it in with CHIRP.

You can't get a license to talk on the police frequencies. Ham licenses will not permit anyone to use police frequencies. If you're only interested in listening to the police, get a scanner. There will be more variety available, you can hear other towns, you can listen to things beside the police and you won't accidentally hit a transmit button.

jmurray39

Programming trunked freq's to uv-5r plus

Can i program my uv-5r plus to scan and listen to trunked frequencies?
Or is there any way to make it so it can?

Status
Not open for further replies.