RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 1:15 PM

Exclamation TYT MD-390 And Mototrbo

My fire department uses Mototrbo with Basic Privacy Code 1. I bought a TYT MD-390 and am looking for a Privacy Code match between the 2. Both Moto and TYT say they should communucate with same codes entered. However, I'm finding different. I have searched for days for an answer and am so confused by the technical info found. Can someone clarify for me what I need to do please? I used search here and found very little about this issue. I hope this is the correct forum for this as I'm a noob here.
Sponsored links

Old 03-20-2017, 2:18 PM

TYT and Morotola use different key generation techniques, so you cannot enter the same key and be compatible. It is possible to find a TYT key that will produce a compatible keystream, but the key will not be the same as the Motorola key. More info here:

https://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools/issues/50
Old 03-20-2017, 2:35 PM

Yeah that's the post that is confusing to me. I'm not sure what I need to put in MD-390 Enhanced Privacy to match Mototrbo Basic Privacy. I'm not that techy lol
Old 03-20-2017, 6:33 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved, nothing to do with amateur radio.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:18 PM

As far as I know, basic privacy encryption is incompatible with all radios other than Motorolas. I've never seen it actually working with any other radio.
Knowing the basics of how basic privacy works, it doesn't seem feasible that it could be decoded by the TYT either.
Sponsored links