• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4ghp

I have a TR-7400 Uhf radio and it has an encryption setting, but I can not find any info on frequency or numbers to program...Any help most appreciated.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you don't even know what frequency you're dealing with, then you shouldn't even be thinking about encryption.

Encryption is not legal in the ham or GMRS bands.

What are you trying to do?

n4ghp

First of all the TR-7400 is a business band radio. Even though I have amateur frequencies programmed, It is primary for my security and LE use.
Secondly I know the frequency that I'm using, but as like any system you have both analog and digital PL's. Those PL's ARE frequencies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all the TR-7400 is a business band radio. Even though I have amateur frequencies programmed, It is primary for my security and LE use.

It doesn't matter if it's a "business band" radio, if you're transmitting on amateur or GMRS frequencies, you can't use encryption. Encryption is allowed on business and public safety frequencies.

Secondly I know the frequency that I'm using, but as like any system you have both analog and digital PL's. Those PL's ARE frequencies.

There's no such thing as a digital PL frequency. You have DCS (digital coded squelch) codes or talkgroup IDs, both of which are digitally encoded numbers, not frequencies. CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) tones are frequencies between 67 and 254 Hz that are mixed with modulated audio, but are completely separate and independent from the RF transmit frequency (somewhere between 400 and 480 MHz). And neither DCS or CTCSS have anything to do with encryption.

Once again, what are you trying to do, and on what frequency are you trying to do it? What system are you trying to communicate with using encryption?

hill

Premium Subscriber
Not having this radio, but just downloaded and looked at it's programming software and does say encryption in it. Most likely like basic Privacy in other DMR radios

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Your twoway radio shop that programs the Police Radios or the Police Radio System Administrator has the info you need. But you will still have to have permission from the Department to use Encryption. I have never known the Encryption Key info let out of a Radio Shop.

Sconnick

Not having this radio, but just downloaded and looked at it's programming software and does say encryption in it. Most likely like basic Privacy in other DMR radios

Maybe you're right. I couldn't find anything in the literature about it, but I haven't looked at the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.