RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 6:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4SVN View Post
One strange thing I have noticed is that it is perfectly clear receiving the NOAA weather station.
Is it only the wx station or are all strong VHF signals clear?
On my radios the noise seems to be way less on VHF than UHF.
Old 12-06-2017, 8:02 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So cars give off so much RF signal and block other signal coming in a lot of the time. You are also inside a metal box basically which also blocks signals. When I am in my truck, I am not affected bad when I am driving my truck but when I am in my car, I get very little signal in the car and when I go in reverse, it almost sounds like an open squelch coming through and it blocks out all other signals. Most likely its your cars RF signals. The reason why NOAA comes in so good is because they are usually transmitted at 1000 watts of power and go very far and a long range. Thats why you can get it so good and the transmitter is probably near you. Hope this helps

Radio Shack Pro-94 / Pro-197 / Pro-651, Uniden BCD996XT, ICOM A-214, Baofeng UV-5R V2+ (3) / UV-82, Kenwood TK-880, Motorola HT-750 / CT250, TYT TH-7800
Old 12-06-2017, 8:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayd48 View Post
So cars give off so much RF signal and block other signal coming in a lot of the time. You are also inside a metal box basically which also blocks signals. When I am in my truck, I am not affected bad when I am driving my truck but when I am in my car, I get very little signal in the car and when I go in reverse, it almost sounds like an open squelch coming through and it blocks out all other signals. Most likely its your cars RF signals. The reason why NOAA comes in so good is because they are usually transmitted at 1000 watts of power and go very far and a long range. Thats why you can get it so good and the transmitter is probably near you. Hope this helps
Read post #5. The cheap Chinese radio radio is key to the problem.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 9:10 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
Read post #5. The cheap Chinese radio radio is key to the problem.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
And that too. Always.

Radio Shack Pro-94 / Pro-197 / Pro-651, Uniden BCD996XT, ICOM A-214, Baofeng UV-5R V2+ (3) / UV-82, Kenwood TK-880, Motorola HT-750 / CT250, TYT TH-7800
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Is it only the wx station or are all strong VHF signals clear?
On my radios the noise seems to be way less on VHF than UHF.
Currently it seems that the WX station is the only one that is immune to this phenomena. I'd think the repeaters would be at least as strong and I know they are close, especially when I drive through downtown where several are located.
Last evening was actually fairly good - the problem was minimal most of the way home.

On my radios this particular problem seems to be equal on VHF and UHF.

I know it doesn't have to do with the car as I'm using a proper NMO mounted Larsen antenna. Everything is fantastic while standing still.

I'm been wanting to get a Yaesu FT-60R anyways and this just accelerated my plans.
I'll report back when I do for a follow up.
For now it seems that the common denominator with these Baofengs is the cheap receiver.
They're great for the money ($35 or so). But don't expect perfection.
I'm still going to use one as my "base" unit in my house with the attic J-Pole. It's been really good thus far as a cheap option to get on the air. Even getting some clean, clear simplex operation almost 30 miles from me.
Sponsored links