RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 4:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default TYT DM2017

Just looked at the TYT DM2017, it's new and by the looks does all you need for a analog a day digital VHF/UHF. Very nice unit, it has my attention to the point of switching all my current equipment over, even the Repeaters. Any Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6BRW View Post
Just looked at the TYT DM2017, it's new and by the looks does all you need for a analog a day digital VHF/UHF. Very nice unit, it has my attention to the point of switching all my current equipment over, even the Repeaters. Any Thoughts?
There is s converter to up convert code pugs from 380/390 , the main failing i see with the radio is it isnt lockable so anything you brush against takes that little center trackball off into space , that's the only weakness I have heard about it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
There is s converter to up convert code pugs from 380/390 , the main failing i see with the radio is it isnt lockable so anything you brush against takes that little center trackball off into space , that's the only weakness I have heard about it .

That is not accurate information. Jason from Ham Radio 2.0/ Grapevine corrected his original statement that it did not lock. In his update video he shot, he made the correction and said "It does lock".

I'm also definitely keeping an eye on this one. Along with the HD 1.
Old 06-19-2017, 9:46 PM

My conventional repeater has more 90db selectivity and .15uv sensitivity

My conventional HTs don't suffer from out of band desense and intermod

if they can match THAT, I MIGHT look at em but I'd bet the farm they can't
Old 06-24-2017, 9:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post

The converter software dose not work.

I mean it works but when I tried it it will not let me talk with anyone. I had someone make me a fresh one and I took a look at it and compared it to the converted one and everything looks the same unless I missed something.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2017, 9:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Green light on top of the MD 2017

Hi all,

I wanted to come here to see if anyone had this issue.

The green light on the TYT MD 2017 always is on and I thought it was only on when you talk or someone else is talking AKA it turns on when someone talks or im talking to them. Maybe its the red light not sure lol

Sorry if I sound dumb.

Michael
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

First one already dead.
Ken Zieleck
Yesterday at 1:32pm

MD-2017 Limitation: Weak Antenna Mount

Heads up, love the dual band functionality but just knocked it off the counter it landed on the antenna.

Normally have flexible antennas on my HT's however the first 2-3 inches on the 2017 antenna is rigid and broke the Antenna mount... initial assessment is not repairable but will have to take a closer look when I get some time... $180 down the drain after 2 days...

Be careful with your radios

Last edited by N4KVE; 06-24-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 06-24-2017, 10:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 6:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Broke?

It broke that easy? That is crazy.
Old 07-30-2017, 9:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Hello everyone,
I am only on the receiving end of the hobby but with the proliferation of DMR I need to move that direction while not spending another $500 on a RX only system. I have VHF and UHF DMR in the area I want to listen to and this radio seems like just the ticket for a fair price.

How much will this act like a scanner with my programmed DMR frequencies

Will this unit scan both UHF and VHF (6 channels each "bank" if you will in scanner terms) and stop on whichever is active then resume? I suspect first received whether it is U or V will prevent the other from being heard until the RX stops.

Can I park each VFO on UHF and a VHF and hear whichever becomes active with no other interaction?

That's all I really need to know and it isn't clear in the manual.

Regards,
Dave
Old 07-30-2017, 11:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

tHE BROKEN ANTENNA CONNECTOR IS REPAIRABLE. Costs about $17.00, the part is free but the postage from China is not. I only have one good working arm, but the radio can be taken apart and the connector replaced. There are a couple of you tube videos that show the repair.Maybe 1 hr to repair and re-assemble the radio. Yes the antenna sma connector is "FRAGILE". The track ball and the antenna port are the weak link, but thru care, the radio works very well. I keep the radio on a neck lanyard, and then I place it in a radio stand when not in use. Requires some new radio habits related to their use.

Oh two days, that matches my breaking of the port.
Old 08-14-2017, 7:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All U.S. Dealers have been shipped replacement antenna sma connectors. Call your dealer if you need one. They are FREE for the asking!
Old 08-14-2017, 8:40 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
All U.S. Dealers have been shipped replacement antenna sma connectors. Call your dealer if you need one. They are FREE for the asking!
What dealer? I talked to buytwowayradios and also a local dealer and neither have them.

I ended up scavenging one from a TYT UV1F tonight. It's a bit shorter but still works. I would really like to pick up a proper one or 5. Also, I need a PTT button but at this point I can't even get the SMA.
Old 08-14-2017, 9:10 PM

Try calling a ham at a ham radio store instead of a place that sells anything with a PTT to anybody ,establishing a relationship before and after the sale goes along way with any kind of service and support .

Old 08-14-2017, 9:30 PM
Database Admin

I called a ham store, one of the largest in the Midwest and spoke to the owner who knew my by my call. I have dealt with him since 1993. He said they did not receive any shipment of parts but will call and check into it. He likely would have replaced the radio but I told him that I dropped it so it's my fault, not like it just snapped off replacing the antenna. Should it be that fragile, no, but I didn't feel right demanding he take the hit on that.

Hopefully they will start carrying parts for them now.

Anyway, I finally received an email back from TYT asking me to "please send us our details". So I sent my address and a pic of the broken radio and the serial #. We will see...
Old 08-15-2017, 8:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just to be clear, I am passing along precisely what Jason at Ham Radio 2.0 stated in his video showing how the antenna connector repair is easily accomplished. He reported quite clearly that TYT was providing free replacement parts to all of their dealers.

Episode 109: Episode 109 - TYT MD-2017 Updates and Upgrades - Ham Radio 2.0
Old 08-26-2017, 9:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Word to the wise. Buy from Jason at Grapevine Amateur Radio. He has the parts to repair and will repair if sent back to him. Great customer service.

Jim, NS3K
Old 08-27-2017, 1:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe that R&L Electronics in Hamilton, OH to be of the same calibre insofar as support and warranty repairs are concerned.