• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng UV-5R-3 not comunicating with Chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

77Impala

Last night I tried to program the UV-5R-3 (tri-bander: 144, 220, 440 Mhz) radio with Chirp. Was not able to get the radio to talk to Chirp. Did confirm that my older UV-5R did allow Chirp to read the program I have in it.

So Chirp can read the older radio just fine.
I did the radio side plug mod of trimming the edge that plugs into the radio.
I tried to see if the UV-5X would read and it did not.
I tried a different brand and saw a mesage that the radio sent to much information, more than the make/model I selected should have. That tells me that the radio is trying to communicate with Chirp.

Any suggestions or is it that Chirp just does not have the software updated for this newer model?

77Impala

Bought it Saturday from Main Trading Company. I will work on posting a picture of the front of it.
Yes I was using the latest Chirp build, the UV-5R-3 was not on the Baofeng list.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

77Impala

Here is the picture.
1b3570c14a90501b1c2185b1810af951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

77Impala

They had quite a few for sale Saturday during their yearly big outdoor event.

I am surprised that I have actually bought something very new on the market, I am one who usually waits a while before buying new type of gear.

Hopefully Chirp will have the update for this radio soon.

KD8DVR

OK... if this is a tri-band radio... just for funsies.... In Chirp, select BTECH>UV-5X3 as your radio model number and give that a shot. You really have nothing to lose.

77Impala

OK... if this is a tri-band radio... just for funsies.... In Chirp, select BTECH>UV-5X3 as your radio model number and give that a shot. You really have nothing to lose.

Tried that and the statement was "Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we want."

Texaskilt

Same issue...

I'm having the same issue. Both CHIRP and BaoFeng UV-5R Series Program Software won't communicate with the radio.

Tried all the BaoFeng and BTECH radios listed in CHIRP.

Tk

77Impala

Well no help from Baofengtech, their reply to me was: "This is not a radio we sell or support; as well knowing the chipsets in place there would be a very unlikely chance that the receiver performs on 220 if it all "

So I double checked with my frequecy counter and verified that it does indeed transmit on 223.500.

I then called MTC and was told to use Chirp and the Baofeng BF-888 as the radio. Well as some one else also pointed out that did not work.

Finally I did find the OEM website and here is their page but still no software support: Home_BAOFENG official website_baofengradio.com

I have found written instructions on how to manually program the radio, looks that is the only way to program it for now.

KD5JUN

Offset does not manually save either

I can program a channel in frequency mode and it works. However, when saving to a memory channel the offset shows "000.000" when looking at the settings. It does not seem to save the offset.

As for the suggestion of using BF-888, I get a message of "No response from Radio".

I am starting to feel like MTC sold a bad batch of radios.

nd5y

I can program a channel in frequency mode and it works. However, when saving to a memory channel the offset shows "000.000" when looking at the settings. It does not seem to save the offset.
Which model are you referring to?
This is normal operation for the UV-5R/UV-82 type radios. You don't use an offset for memory channels.
First you program the receive frequency and then you program the transmit frequency.

KD5JUN

UV-5R-3... In the memory options, number 25 is the direction of frequency shift and number 26 is the offset (frequency shift as in 000.600). It works fine in the frequency mode but when you save it to a memory channel, it saves everything except the Offset. The Frequency Shift shows to be 000.000 instead of 000.600.

The UV-5R-3 is a tri-band radio. It works fine if I want to program a frequency in frequency mode... one at a time but all info does not save to memory channel.

Last edited:

nd5y

UV-5R-3... In the memory options, number 25 is the direction of frequency shift and number 26 is the offset (frequency shift as in 000.600). It works fine in the frequency mode but when you save it to a memory channel, it saves everything except the Offset. The Frequency Shift shows to be 000.000 instead of 000.600.
That's normal and the UV-5R-3 programs exactly like the other radios then. You don't understand how to program it.

The offset and shift direction (menus 25 and 26) are ONLY for frequency (VFO) mode. You can't save the offset to memory channels. Many hams have only learned how to program Yaecomwoodco Japanese rigs and for some reason are incapable of understanding this.

You have to program the tx and rx frequencies separately.

KD5JUN

OK, I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification. My other radio does it all in one step. I did a quick search and found the other steps here:
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blo...rogram_the_baofeng_uv-5r_from_the_keypad.aspx

You get what you pay for... It worked with the extra steps... 12-15..

Now, we wait for Chirp to update and be able to communicate with the radio. Currently, Chirp says the radio does not respond.

Last edited:

77Impala

I was able to program the local repeaters and my most used simplex channels into my UV-5R-3 this morning.

I sent messages to the the OEM Baofeng and to Chirp as well over the weekend, waiting on their reply's.

Status
Not open for further replies.