• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CS 580 new firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

Today I tried to upload the newly released CS580 firmware 1.10 however the file is not extracting . I followed the instructions with no success. I also verified that all of my window 10 set up are correct.
When I clicked and saved the update the file was not being saved as an exe file.
Perhaps we may need some support on this.
Thanks

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I went and downloaded the 4 files. One is .txt, 2 are .docx and one .bfup.

It was not a quick understanding of the process for me. I will spend some more time with it. My expectation is the bfup might be the image file.

About the most unclear to me update I have run across.

Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
blackbelt,

I had to make the connection that the updater exe was zipped up and linked in an earlier software update on the 580 page. Once I made that connection the 1st page of the firmware update document made sense.

I was correct that the updater program is looking for files ending in bfup. Verified radio was updated to number referenced in file name. Loaded English file per instruction as if it were a codeplug. Not sure what it did for me but it did not interfere with the codeplug that was loaded.

I did not 'brick' the radio. :D New items in the menus to play with.

Mike

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Yes the CS580 Update to 1.1.0 is a bit more complicated than before. Here are the steps needed to update the firmware.

1. Go to: Connect Systems
2. Download the first four files shown. These are: "update_firmware_CS580_V1.1.0.bfup", "ENGLISH", "SAVING THE ENGLISH FILE.docx" and "Updating CS580.docx". Note that the file named ENGLISH has no extension.
3. If you had not performed an update previously, go to the item "Firmware Update Zip Files" (4th from the bottom) and download the "BFP_UPDATE.zip" file. This ZIP file contains the program files needed to update the firmware. Ultimately you will unzip these files into the "C:\Program Files\BFDX\BFP_UPDATE" folder (using the instructions in the next step).
4. Follow the directions in the "Updating CS580.docx" document. This will allow you to update the firmware to V1.1.0 using the "update_firmware_CS580_V1.1.0.bfup" file downloaded previously.
5. Follow the directions in the "SAVING THE ENGLISH FILE.docx" document. This will allow the CPS software to communicate with the CS580.

The new features are described in a "New Features" document located on the following page. This page also has the SC580 Users Manual and CPS Manual.
Connect Systems

blackbelter

I appreciate the explanation, however something is clearly wrong that a simple firmware update should be this complicated. My other concern is that per CS web site the update has not been verified or tested as it cautions the end users that they are not sure that if it works?
Help me understand this please .
The updates should be part of the BFP-CS 580 to be downloaded as not often an end user will be willing to spend hours on updating firmware.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
In my experience, firmware updates are rarely simple. The process is not quite as bad as my description made it out to be. I was trying to be thorough and I often come across as too wordy. If you had been through this before (as I had) the only new item is step 5.

Regarding testing. The manufacturer, BFDX, did test this firmware at their development lab. The distributer, Connect Systems, performed a brief test at their facility and then posted it on their website so early adopters could start using and testing it. As such I would advise anyone who does not want to participate in this "testing phase" to wait a few weeks until others have verified there are no glaring bugs.
My point of view is that these are amateur radios marketed to ham enthusiasts and are not general consumer products. If you are looking for a radio that has been exhaustively engineered and tested before being sold in the marketplace, these low-cost radios are probably going to dissappoint you.
I own a CS580 and a DG-77 portable and am very happy with both of them. YMMV

blackbelter

Thanks for your response, I also enjoy my CS 580 and would have liked to enjoy the new features , however i will wait till the process gets more refined.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.