• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 not decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicalbill

Hello group

I just got a MD-380 with the MD-380 tools in it.

The green LED comes on when a transmission comes, but the audio does not open

I have it programmed for CC 3, SL 1 on 159.105 for Quakertown, PA

but nothing comes across

I thought that even if the CC was wrong that it would open the squelch and give a garbled transmission

Is this not the case ?

The radio may be defective, I am trying to figure that out.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Bill

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I thought that even if the CC was wrong that it would open the squelch and give a garbled transmission

Is this not the case ?

No. If slot or color code are wrong, you will get the green light and nothing else. You only get garble audio if your encryption settings are wrong.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Hello group

I just got a MD-380 with the MD-380 tools in it.

The green LED comes on when a transmission comes, but the audio does not open

I have it programmed for CC 3, SL 1 on 159.105 for Quakertown, PA

but nothing comes across

Is this not the case ?

The radio may be defective, I am trying to figure that out.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Bill

Sounds to me like you are trying to monitor a Commercial frequency that probably is using RAS technology.

hill

Premium Subscriber
As Troymail said you won't get any audio with just progrmmng in a cc and ts. You need to enter a Talkgroup before the radio will receive anything. If no talkgroup no audio will be received.

radicalbill

I will program in a TG

I have no TGs in the radio, I did not program it, I got it like this with the freq and the TS and CC, but no TG

I read the manual, which was very lacking.

On the screen, at the top, there is a shield that is made up of 4 block, red and blue, I am guessing this means I am in a digital zone

And in the center top of the display is a little round ball with dots around it.

I think this is a GPS icon, but the radio is not GPS, at least I think it is a GPS icon

It almost looks like an eyeball

Anyone know what these icons are for sure ?

Is there a better manual on-line somewhere that details this ?

Thanks again

Bill

radicalbill

Can not find how to add TG to MD-380

I am in the software now, version 1.33 of the programming software.

I can add Zones, and Channels, but there is no field to add a talk group

Does anyone know where or how to add the talk group in the software ?

Thanks

Bill

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
They are added in the contact list first. Then added to the zone later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
They are added in the contact list first. Then added to the zone later.

Let me clarify, contacts are added to the zone.

radicalbill

I can't make it work

I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

The firmware version I have is newer than the videos on Youtube and mine does not have the talk groups in the program radio sub menu.

And I have tried to add the talk group as a contact, but it does not show up on the screen.

I see it in the contacts list, but the radio is not getting any transmissions.

The TS and CC are correct, the problem is with it not having the TG active

I see there are two different modified firmwares, from two different hams.

I am thinking I should try loading the other version and see if I have better results.

They should make this software more straight forward, like Zone and then freq under zone and TG under Freq.

The way it is now, it is hard to tell if it is linking to the TG.

I don't think it is.

It may be the radio, but if anyone has one of these radios if you can send me the rdt file with the correct data entered, I would be most appreciative

Thanks

Bill

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Did you add the contact to the zone..

Attachments

• contact-zones.jpg
    contact-zones.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 211

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The different firmware will not change how you program the radio. That part of the system remains the same.

As for sending an RDT, you'd have to find someone in your area that has one. The info in mine from Illinois wouldn't do much good.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
OK, I missed a step, and I apologize for that..

Step 1: Add all your talkgroups to the contact list

Step 2: Create a channel for each repeater for each talkgroup

Step 3: Add the channel to the Zone (assuming you've already made your zones)

Attachments

• md-380steps.jpg
    md-380steps.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 219
Status
Not open for further replies.