• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng VF-F9 V2+ deaf on VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayg359

Hi guys - Bought a pair of these. Programmed them up and have been using mostly for UHF monitoring. Works great. Put some Amateur radio frequencies in, and it's totally deaf on VHF. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Jay G.
KC2ZHI

wrath

Get a diamond or comet and call it done!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Movieman990

Finding 2 meter users to listen to

Hi guys - Bought a pair of these. Programmed them up and have been using mostly for UHF monitoring. Works great. Put some Amateur radio frequencies in, and it's totally deaf on VHF. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Jay G.
KC2ZHI

I am not a ham yet but I have been listening for a couple of months now. I thought the same thing in the beginning. Here's how I found VHF users.

First do a Google search for "Ham radio clubs in (your city, state)". Depending on your population base you should see at least one. In my area of 300K population there were 4.

Secondly, look at the web pages for those clubs. They will give you the repeater frequencies they use and the club meeting days. Most meet once a month.

Most importantly.....you may find frequencies for NETS. In my area there is one that has a daily (M-F) traffic, weather report that last about an hour. Something to listen to and pick up on techniques and protocol for how to "correctly", do calls etc.

Your post comes the weekend of Field Day where 35,000 or so hams meet at an outdoor location and hook up radios in many bands to test themselves on reaching out AND providing some insight to new users who can drop by and look around. I went to 2 of these events within 20 miles of my home. If you live in the boonies you'll have to drive further.

Also, do searches at this site for "2 meter popularity" or words to that effect. There's lots of info here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Movieman990

Antenna recommendations

Thanks!

Jay G.
KC2ZHI

>>>>>>>>>>

My 2nd reply to your query...both awaiting clearance from moderators here.

As to others suggesting an improved antenna, in my opinion that WILL make a difference, but I am using the rubber ducky that came with mine and inside my home it STILL picks up a fair amount of traffic. Sure, a better antenna will get more users, but consider this.

Can you pick up services like tow trucks, public service folks like city bus dispatchers, etc? If you can get those you'll get an idea of how the included antenna is doing. If nothing else it might give you a reference point for any differences you see WHEN you get a better antenna. Just a thought.

Oh, what's your reception of NOAA weather like? That also would give you an idea of your current antenna's workability.

Lastly, WHAT IS your population base. Two meters is localized due to its nature, so 5 to 30 miles (more if hitting repeaters) depends on how many people out there let alone how many ham 2 meter users. The antenna choice is only one part of the reception mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.